Will Team Canada have as many HOFers on this team as the '76 team did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
First off there were 17 HOFers on the 1976 Canada Cup team. Here they are:

Cheevers, Orr, Robinson, Lapointe, Savard, Potvin, Lafleur, Clarke, Perreault, Hull, Esposito, Barber, Shutt, McDonald, Gainey, Dionne, Sittler.

After that you've got Vachon (who should be in there) and guys like Resch, P. Mahovolich, Martin, Gare and Leach who were all playing like HOFers at the time. Only Jimmy Watson is the only so called non-star on that team.

But even though this may not be the best Canadian team of all time I can't help but think there will be nearly just as many HOFers on this team. So I checked it out, its closer than you think if you want to base it on projection.

Shoo-ins or potential future HOFers:

Brodeur - No one on the face of the earth will debate this
Luongo - Already was second team all-star in '04 by 25
Pronger - Hard to believe the one time NHL MVP wont make it
Blake - Is a former Norris Trophy winner and four time post season all-star
Redden - He'll need some post season all-star selections first
Sakic - Shoo-in
Thornton - By the end of his career looks to be a lock
Heatley - Should be one of the best players in the NHL for 10 years
Richards - Won a Conn Smythe already as well as a Cup and a World Cup
Lecavalier - If only he plays the way we know he can this World Cup MVP could
Nash - Led the league in goals when he was only 20
Iginla - He'll need more strong seasons and onother MVP calibre year, or repeat '04
Staal - If he keeps this up he'll leave a strong legacy
Spezza - Needs to do this every year consistently. Plus he should have quite a few strong playoff runs with Ottawa

That comes to 14. Not too bad considering most of those guys will make it, and maybe some I left off will too. Bouwmeester, St. Louis, Bertuzzi, Gagne

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sakic and Brodeur are the only two I'd lable HOFers at this point.

Some are close, but a more than hefty chunk of the team have yet to come anywhere near a career worthy of induction.

Discussing the HOF with regards to guys like Staal, Spezza, and Nash is only marginally better than discussing the HOF about Jack Johnson, Gilbert Brule, and Phil Kessel. A tad bit premature to say the very least.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Brodeur - No doubt HOF
Luongo - What?
Pronger - Doubt it.
Blake - Possibly with a few more great seasons.
Redden - What?
Sakic - No doubt HOF
Thornton - If he continues on his current pace, definitely a HOF.
Heatley - Read about Thornton
Richards - Look at his stats. The HOF is a dream for him right now.
Lecavalier - What?
Nash - Too early, but he has the chance to be one of the greatest goal scorers.
Iginla - His one monster year is looking more and more like a fluke.
Staal - WAAAAY too early
Spezza - Same as Staal

That '76 team had some of the greatest players in NHL history. There's very few of the current Canadian team that can or every will be put up alongside them.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
norrisnick said:
Sakic and Brodeur are the only two I'd lable HOFers at this point.

Some are close, but a more than hefty chunk of the team have yet to come anywhere near a career worthy of induction.

Discussing the HOF with regards to guys like Staal, Spezza, and Nash is only marginally better than discussing the HOF about Jack Johnson, Gilbert Brule, and Phil Kessel. A tad bit premature to say the very least.
Agreed. Brodeur's a lock. Ranks in the top 10-15 goalies ever. Sakic is a lock, too. Pronger's close, likely needs one or two more seasons among the top-5 defencemen in the league. Blake won't make it, no better than Randy Carlyle. Redden's coming close to 30. He's not even on the radar for the HHOF. Thornton needs to learn how to contribute in the post-season. Iginla needs at least four more dominant seasons. Spezza? Not with his inconsistent work ethic. Lecavalier and Richards? Not now, and likely not ever.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Brodeur
Sakic
Pronger

that's about it

I really wouldn't put Staal, Blake and Richards in that goup

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
rohan said:
Brodeur - No doubt HOF
Luongo - What?
Pronger - Doubt it.
Blake - Possibly with a few more great seasons.
Redden - What?
Sakic - No doubt HOF
Thornton - If he continues on his current pace, definitely a HOF.
Heatley - Read about Thornton
Richards - Look at his stats. The HOF is a dream for him right now.
Lecavalier - What?
Nash - Too early, but he has the chance to be one of the greatest goal scorers.
Iginla - His one monster year is looking more and more like a fluke.
Staal - WAAAAY too early
Spezza - Same as Staal

That '76 team had some of the greatest players in NHL history. There's very few of the current Canadian team that can or every will be put up alongside them.

I guess you missed the 2 Richard trophies and twice comming in 2nd for MVP. Leading a team to the finals that had no business being there, etc. I'm not saying he's a hall of fame shoe in, but to say he's had 1 good year makes you look not very smart..... or biased. Either way you are wrong.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
ryz said:
Don't watch much NHL hockey, hey?

What? The Hall is for great players, not good ones. On that list, ONLY Sakic and Brodeur are great. Maybe Pronger can get in, well he could get in, so I'll change my view on him. But what would you change? Does a Conn Smythe automatically get you into the HOF? Lecavalier is overrated. He's a leader, but he's no scorer. Iginla? The guy has two good goal-scoring seasons, and nothing else. He led his team the Finals once, and 2 Richard Trophies make him a HOFer? Pavel Bure is much closer to the HOF than him.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
rohan said:
What? The Hall is for great players, not good ones. On that list, ONLY Sakic and Brodeur are great. Maybe Pronger can get in, well he could get in, so I'll change my view on him. But what would you change? Does a Conn Smythe automatically get you into the HOF? Lecavalier is overrated. He's a leader, but he's no scorer. Iginla? The guy has two good goal-scoring seasons, and nothing else. Pavel Bure is much closer to the HOF than him.
Sorry man, I respoded without thinking. That's why I edited it. I think you just struck a nerve with me calling Iginla a 1 year wonder.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
ryz said:
Sorry man, I respoded without thinking. That's why I edited it. I think you just struck a nerve with me calling Iginla a 1 year wonder.

That's ok. Iginla isn't a one year wonder, but he's nowhere near as dominant as he used to be, IMO. He was great in the playoffs last year, he singelhandedly beat us in the Conf. Finals with some help from Kipper, but he looks lost right now.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
rohan said:
What? The Hall is for great players, not good ones. On that list, ONLY Sakic and Brodeur are great. Maybe Pronger can get in, well he could get in, so I'll change my view on him. But what would you change? Does a Conn Smythe automatically get you into the HOF? Lecavalier is overrated. He's a leader, but he's no scorer. Iginla? The guy has two good goal-scoring seasons, and nothing else. He led his team the Finals once, and 2 Richard Trophies make him a HOFer? Pavel Bure is much closer to the HOF than him.

Bure will most likely make it into the Hall

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Chris Pronger retired today he is in. For most of the 90's and even today some regarded him as the best defenseman in the game playing for a team that made him play 30 minutes a game his entire carreer. Norris Trophy, MVP, Gold Medal.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
rohan said:
That's ok. Iginla isn't a one year wonder, but he's nowhere near as dominant as he used to be, IMO. He was great in the playoffs last year, he singelhandedly beat us in the Conf. Finals with some help from Kipper, but he looks lost right now.

Wow, you guys don't really know much about Iginla, first of all, he always starts off slow, he never has a good start, he plays better later on in the series. Secondly, his linemates suck, hard, the best linemate he's had so far this year is Lombardi.

Thirdly, he plays big in big games, maybe you forgot about his playoff performance, or his last gold medal game, and as I recall he dominated the world juniors and help lead us to a gold.

If Iginla decides to play, he's basically unstoppable, he just takes a while to make a decision.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
i have to agree with the other posters.... the only "for-sure" HoF inductees from that group are brodeur and sakic..... pronger has a decent chance, but will need to continue at his level for another 3-4 years, win another norris, or take the oilers on a long playoff run

there are others who have a chance, but are too young too tell.... iginla is some where inbetween as hes not young anymore, but hasnt done enough for HoF i dont think yet.... a few more 40+ goal seasons and he could be taken more seriously as HoF material

thornton is a possibility, but its pretty early in his career for such a call.... the same can be said for nash, as he looks like a guy that should easily score 400+ goals in his career

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
therealdeal said:
If Iginla decides to play, he's basically unstoppable, he just takes a while to make a decision.

Friggin' hearltess European...

Oh, wait...I mean, great Canadian leader who elevates his play

:sarcasm: ;)

Iginla has a ways to go before he's HOF worthy. I'll be honest, in the new NHL, I can't see him ever getting another Richard trophy or Art Ross. He'll need some more awsome playoffs, which he's certainly capable of if he gets his act together.

Phanuthier*

arrbez said:
Iginla has a ways to go before he's HOF worthy. I'll be honest, in the new NHL, I can't see him ever getting another Richard trophy or Art Ross. He'll need some more awsome playoffs, which he's certainly capable of if he gets his act together.
That's because the "new NHL" features an older Kovalchuk, Nash, Jagr and introduces players like Ovechkin. It's not that Iginla's bad or anything - in fact, he's ahead of his usual pace - but there's just alot of really good players right now.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
i hate the flames, but hes right, iginla post olympics is unstoppable, it causes to pee myself at night

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
therealdeal said:
Wow, you guys don't really know much about Iginla, first of all, he always starts off slow, he never has a good start, he plays better later on in the series. Secondly, his linemates suck, hard, the best linemate he's had so far this year is Lombardi.

Thirdly, he plays big in big games, maybe you forgot about his playoff performance, or his last gold medal game, and as I recall he dominated the world juniors and help lead us to a gold.

In other words he has attitude problems?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Brodeur - Yes
Luongo - Not a chance in hell untill he starts to get more wins and gets a ring on his finger--also he is a back up
Pronger - Based upon statsand rings on his fingers--he wont get in--even from the trophy side--Langway was questionable
Blake - I would say yes
Redden - Not even close at this point in time
Sakic - Shoo-in
Thornton - Cam Neely has lowered the bar so low know
Heatley - winnning once does not gt yeah in
Lecavalier - He has been around long enough where enless he starts get 50 goals a year--he aint getting oin
Nash - yeah so he lead at age 20--lets see what his points are at 30
Iginla - To get into the hof you need atleast 7 years of great/good stats
Staal - One year--lets see how he does over the next couple of years
Spezza - Not looking like anything overly good

You are being overly generous with your ideas of who will get into the hall of fame

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Some of you guys are WAY off base.There are alot more than 3 or 4 guys on that team with the potential to be hall of famers.Take a look at some of the hof's on the 76 team at early points in their careers.Cheevers,Barber,McDonald,Shutt,Lapointe
wouldn't have near as good of early starts as some of the players there.

There are guys not on the thread starters list that have potential for the hall of fame.

All that being said I don't think this team will match the 76 team in that regard.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
IMO it is sad that some people's perception of the HOF is that it's for good players. IT'S NOT. IMO, the HOF should be for the best of the best, however, lately it hasn't been that away. Anywho, from that list, I can see 3 players who can retire today and make it (Sakic, Brodeur, Pronger). Also, there are a bunch of young players who can certainly make it in 20 years (Staal, Nash, even Luongo if he plays for a good team once). It's to early to tell. IMO people like Iginla, Bertuzzi, Redden, etc. are not good enough or haven't produced HOF worhty stats for long enough.
Even though it is too early to tell, I think Thornton and Healtey will end up in the HOF if they continue to play to their abilities.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
In my opinion

Locks:
Martin Brodeur
Joe Sakic

Good Chances:
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Jarome Iginla