WJC: Will Switzerland Be Canada's Kryptonite?

Charlie Milles*

Canada could end up playing the States in the quarters but chances are they will be facing Switzerland.

This Swiss program has been a hemorrhoid for Canadian teams in years past. Be it at the World, Olympics, or World Juniors, the Swiss national teams have almost always given Canada a scare and, in 2006, the Swiss beat Canada in the round robin and ended up finishing ahead of them in the overall standings.

With the recent history in mind and the play of Olivier Roy and Benjamin Conz, am I the only one that is genuinely concerned that Canada may be in for a 7th/8th place finish at the hands of the Swiss, a la the Olympic team in Turin?

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I always hate playing the Swiss they show up and play us tight every time we play them it really is a crapshoot at this point I would prefer the US honestly.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not too worried. In our exhibition game we had a 8-0 shutout against them with Visentin in nets. Hopefully, Visentin will be playing, and we'll have Kassian back as well.

Maybe exhibition games aren't exactly the right examples to go by since we beat the Swedes and then lost to them today, but whatever, it's all we really have now.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I don't think the Swiss have much of a hope. Canada manhandled them in the pre tournament game, I can't imagine them being much of a challenge.

Charlie Milles*

I don't think the Swiss have much of a hope. Canada manhandled them in the pre tournament game, I can't imagine them being much of a challenge.
The pre-tournament is the pre-tournament. The Swiss were a shot away from sending the US to OT. And two shots away from sending the defending gold medalists to the quarters. If Conz will be able to let no more than two or three goals in against the Canadians, it's very possible that the Swiss will be able to put 3-4 in against a struggling Roy.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The pre-tournament is the pre-tournament. The Swiss were a shot away from sending the US to OT. And two shots away from sending the defending gold medalists to the quarters. If Conz will be able to let no more than two or three goals in against the Canadians, it's very possible that the Swiss will be able to put 3-4 in against a struggling Roy.

Conz has to have a huge game in the Quarters. If he can keep the goal amounts low, they have a legit chance. As for the Canadians, they get Kassian back which will help, so that they can roll 4 lines.

As for Canada's goaltending, decision time for Cameron. Hopefully, they don't end up like last year where they leave Allen in too long and it costs Canada in the gold medal game.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

If I was the Canadian coach, I am not playing Roy in the next game.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
If i'm Canada, i wouldn't underestimate the Swiss. I saw them play vs USA and they looked better than i thought. I hope that Cameron will let Visentin the chance to prove himself that he can play under pressure, what Roy didn't do.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

And that's when I'll become a Swiss fan. If Dave Cameron puts Roy back in, I will not be very impressed. Yeah, I know, he could care less, but still...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

All things considered, I stand by my assessment. To me, tonight's game speaks more about the US than the Swiss.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's the medal round. There's no Norway or Czech Republic anymore. All game from here on out will be tough.

I know, but Canada usually has the number of the US and the Swiss darn near won tonight's game!:shakehead The US doesn't match up well with either one.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I thought the US would beat the Swiss 4-2. They were lucky to escape 2-1.
Regardless, I can't see Conz having another game that good and I think Canada will come to play. Too big, too strong and too deep for the Swiss to compete with if Canada is on their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->