Will Sullivan be the Penguins coach at the start of the 16-17 season?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Isn't this like way premature? I don't see why he wouldn't.
That's the idea. Get everyone's opinion before he coaches a game.

I'm skeptical that he can do much better than Johnston. Johnston was supposed to be the perfect fit and turned out to be garbage. Sullivan's resume isn't much better than Johnston's and I think he's actually a bit worse of a fit, based on his history at least. I guess I'm kind of 50/50 on it so I thought this might be worth bumping next September or so. I think where he wins out over MJ is his personality & demeanor. Pretty sure a Boston guy named Sully isn't afraid to scratch a Kunitz or even sit Sid or Geno for a period if he wants to get a point across.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
The team's performance in the playoffs will be the deciding factor. I'd wager he lasts at least a year unless the team absolutely implodes.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Miss playoffs playing like they do now, no. New coach and a big trade.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Last i heard only Mario is selling shares & he's a minority owner. New guy(s) won't change a thing.

Not even sure if Mario will sell all his shares.

pretty sure dude's been told that like a dozen times but he keeps repeating the same thing

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm not too sure. If we miss the playoffs or get booted from the 1st round in embarrassing fashion then I think we will get a new coach.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
The strategic and system stuff remain to be seen, but I agree with Jacob about his personality being what the team needs.

I've seen enough of the wishy washy, aw shucks nonsense over the past 6 years. Hopefully he's a guy that won't be shy about ruffling some feathers, whether it's someone on the team or outside of it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The strategic and system stuff remain to be seen, but I agree with Jacob about his personality being what the team needs.

I've seen enough of the wishy washy, aw shucks nonsense over the past 6 years. Hopefully he's a guy that won't be shy about ruffling some feathers, whether it's someone on the team or outside of it.

Pretty much. We had a motivator in DB, an X's and O's guy in MJ and now it sounds like more of a frank communicator in Sullivan.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Burkle's supposedly lost like half of his wealth in the last few years. Still a billionaire, but he'll be looking to cash out on what he can I'd think.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
If Sullivan can get the offense going and producing like it should be (especially Crosby & Kessel), play a respectable defensive game, and has some post season success. Then I think he'll be back.

It'd be nice to see some more physicality and intensity from the team, but management and ownership don't seem to care about that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yes he will be the coach.

I don't really see a scenario that gets him fired.

If the team struggles the blame will be on JR and his roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad