Will Sidney Crosby ever hit 100 points again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
It is a projection. Yes I expect by the end of the year, Matthews will CURRENTLY be better than Malkin. No, this does not mean he did more than Malkin in his career. No it does not mean his career has surpassed Malkin.

It means that given linemates and usage and ice time and all of that, Matthews this year and going forward will be the better player, not just offensively but off the puck as well.
Well thank you for your opinion but there's really no true indicator that would suggest this. Unless you believe Malkin will just fall off of a cliff between now and April.

Reactions: Casanova

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well thank you for your opinion but there's really no true indicator that would suggest this. Unless you believe Malkin will just fall off of a cliff between now and April.

Has nothing to do with falling off a cliff and everything to do with Matthews entering his 3rd year and getting better and better while Malkin is slowly falling off.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Has nothing to do with falling off a cliff and everything to do with Matthews entering his 3rd year and getting better and better while Malkin is slowly falling off.
Okay but Malkin isn't slowly falling off, he scored 98 points last season in less than a full 82 game season. Matthews getting better doesn't mean he's going to leap frog Malkin considering he was never on his level in the first place.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
He’s not playing on that level every game, this video only shows his best moments. He definitely can play defense, but he’s getting overrated in that department. If you watch most of the Pens game, you’ll notice that he does deep backchecks, but RARELY makes coverages, he goes through the motion most of the time

thanks because i actually dont want any penguins games. good to find out he's atually bad. tahnk you. my whole life i have been operating under the assumption that he was good but like i said i have never seen a hockey game let alone a penguins game. thanks for the tips. ill be sure to check out some "pens games" as you call them.

Jeffhabs20

Jul 6, 2010
Quebec City.
It is a projection. Yes I expect by the end of the year, Matthews will CURRENTLY be better than Malkin. No, this does not mean he did more than Malkin in his career. No it does not mean his career has surpassed Malkin.

It means that given linemates and usage and ice time and all of that, Matthews this year and going forward will be the better player, not just offensively but off the puck as well.
Sorry but No. if Malkin stays healthy, Matthews will not be better than Malkin guaranteed.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sakic did it in 2006-07 after two seasons in the 80s and he was was 37 and far from a speedster at that point in his career. So all that to say, it is possible.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
No he won’t

His point production dropped a lot over the past few years :

From 2005 to 2014, he averaged 1,40 ppg

Since 2014-15 : 1,10 ppg

It’s safe to say that his best years are behind him. He’s a streaky player now : sometimes he’s on a slump for a month and sometimes he’s hot for 10 games and then go back on a slump. Back then, he was putting points on the board game after game, so he had no problem to hit 100 points every seasons.

I think his regression has alot to do with his concussions and since they have long term effects, I expect him to decline bite by bite every season. He’s still a great player, but won’t ever be as dominant as he was pre 2014.
Having the second highest PPG of any player that has played in every season since 14/15 and the third highest PPG of any player to play a significant amount of games in that period is a very underwhelming decline

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Well a Penguin fan brought him up so perhaps talk to him about that.

People are allowed to mention Matthews without it turning into a Matthews vs. the world thread. Also, I don't really care who brought it up, it's yet another thread that has devolved into Leafs fans defending the honor of their god king. And that is completely unnecessary based on how much it happens.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Of course, lol. What a dumb question. He is still the number 2 offensive player in the league.

People love to make up a ton of shit from the first ten games of a season.

Reactions: Son Goku

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Put Crosby with a legit top linemate and his passion/points will jump back up. Pens should do everything they can to get ‘the guy’ for Crosby, preferably a top player in their 20’s to keep the window open for as long as possible.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Weird, had no idea this was a Matthews thread.

Every thread is a Matthews and Leafs thread...lol :D.

Malkin has been over a point-a-game almost forever. Matthews barely cracked that last year. Maybe a few years from, now, you will be right. Today, you are not.

Since you Leafs guys like extrapolating:
Malkin 6games: 3g+9a=12pts
on pace for a 41g+123a = 164pts

Matthews 9games: 10g+6a=16pts
on pace for a 91g+54a = 145pts

Sounds like a plan! :sarcasm:

-----------------
Back to the OP:
Hard to say. I'd lean towards less likely than more likely as the team, and his line aren't built to accommodate him that way.

I do expect/hope at some point later in their careers that Crosby and Malkin will play on a line together consistently. Call it a last hurrah :D.

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
They're starting to use THAT WORD on Pittsburgh sports talk to describe the essence of Crosby's game these days.......nooo not points......INTANGIBLES. He's finally morphed into Jonathon Toews.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
They're starting to use THAT WORD on Pittsburgh sports talk to describe the essence of Crosby's game these days.......nooo not points......INTANGIBLES. He's finally morphed into Jonathon Toews.

If his intangibles lead him to playoff performances like last year I am so ready for it :D

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Having the second highest PPG of any player that has played in every season since 14/15 and the third highest PPG of any player to play a significant amount of games in that period is a very underwhelming decline

Never said he was bad, but he’s definitely on a slow decline offensively.. those stats are facts and that’s why he isn’t a 100 points scorer anymore

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
thanks because i actually dont want any penguins games. good to find out he's atually bad. tahnk you. my whole life i have been operating under the assumption that he was good but like i said i have never seen a hockey game let alone a penguins game. thanks for the tips. ill be sure to check out some "pens games" as you call them.

I never said he was bad defensively, you clearly missed my point

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I wonder how he decides which games he is going to play really hard in and get points and which ones he's like "Eh, I'm gonna take it easy tonight"?

Does he work it out with the coach beforehand, do his teammates know which days are sort of chill game, so they know they have to pick it up?
Don't be foolish, it's not that black and white. I just don't see Crosby as being quite as motivated to rack up points in the regular season as he may have been in year's past. It's not that he sits there with a calendar and marks off the games where he's going to "take it easy". It's just that small bit of motivation that can result in a few less points here and there. To be honest, OV seemed to be in that same mode, as well, where he would still work his butt off in the regular season but you could tell it was the playoffs that really mattered to him. These guys have won everything there is to win. I'm sure it's a little bit tougher today to find that motivation on a random Tuesday in January than it was back in 2008.

I think McDavid is a good example of the youthful spark Crosby used to have for hardware. In the last two seasons, McDavid has largely hung with the field for most of the year and wasn't even leading the scoring race most of the time. But, in the last month of the season, he basically admitted to going Art Ross-hunting and started piling up the points. Now, I'm not saying that McDavid didn't deserve his Art Ross trophies or even that he's offensively inferior to Crosby (he isn't but I still feel Crosby is the better all-around player). I just don't see individual hardware meaning as much to Sid, at this point in his career, as it does to younger guys coming up. In the past, veteran players have admitted as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 71Malkin71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad