Will Sidney Crosby ever hit 100 points again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
Just was looking at his stats, still amazing that the guy is always a point per game guy and then some. But he hasn't hit 100 points since the 2013-2014 season and no goals through 6 games isn't helping his case this year. Will we ever see Sid The Kid hit the century mark again? Or has Father Time slowed him down?

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Odds are not. But I am hoping at least once just for the sake of it. It's not impossible, considering what Malkin is able to do at a year older. :D

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Very solid chance, he was much better last year than his point totals indicated. One extended hot streak in the next 6 or 7 years and he makes it quite easily

Reactions: iSophagus

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If the league average scoring/power play goes up maybe.

Season is young but the current 3.10 goal a game by team and 3.38 power play opportunity (with that great pens unit) could make it the easiest season to reach 100 points in a while.

If the season hold up like that, it would be the most goal by games since 95-96 for the league.

Reactions: ThePlanet

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I think he has one more in him.

I also dont buy the notion he doesnt care how he plays in the regular season. He is a professional, getting paid a substantial salary, and has a reputation to uphold. He doesnt sand bag it during the season. He, like Malkin, gives a solid effort every game. Obviously the playoffs have more at stake and he might be willing to do more, but he tries.

I think he will hit 100 one more time and that will be it.

Reactions: iSophagus

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Odds are not. But I am hoping at least once just for the sake of it. It's not impossible, considering what Malkin is able to do at a year older. :D
Crosby is not as naturally skilled as Malkin imo. He needs to exert much more energy to pick up points, his game has always been more akin to a supremely skilled grinder. As Crosby has gotten older he simply doesn't play as balls to the wall as he did game in game out as a youngster.

Malkin can somehow come out with 2 points even when he plays poorly. It's not surprising to me that he's aging better when it comes to point production ability. Crosby can still do it when needed (21 points in 12 games in the playoffs), but he can't pick up points effortlessly the way Malkin can.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nah. Malkin and Crosby are both showing their age this year. Still good players but won't be winning hardware anytime soon. Outstanding careers for the both of them. And before anyone says anything yes I am aware Malkin had the two easiest goals of his career vs the Leafs and no I am not bitter. No one can say Crosby looks good this year. Even Malkin is meh.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
Malkin has also been extremely puck lucky this year. Crosby out of every superstar I’ve seen has the worst puck luck. Every point he gets as @Luigi Lemieux stated seems to come from hard work

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Nah. Malkin and Crosby are both showing their age this year. Still good players but won't be winning hardware anytime soon. Outstanding careers for the both of them. And before anyone says anything yes I am aware Malkin had the two easiest goals of his career vs the Leafs and no I am not bitter. No one can say Crosby looks good this year. Even Malkin is meh.
Malkin can still certainly challenge for the art ross if he stays healthy. He has 110 points in his last 84 games.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

Malkin is sitting right now with a 2 PPG. Crosby is coming off a 21 pts in 12 games playoffs.

“Showing their age”

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
He probably won't, no, but as long as he is consistently in that 85-90 range, that's fine. He's lost the speed in his game but is still a visionary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He definitely could, Malkin got damn close last year (98 points in 78 games) after putting up similar numbers in the previous 3 years to Crosby.

I don't want to say "it depends on if he wants to", because it implies that he's not hitting 100 points because he doesn't want to instead of him declining, but it depends on whether he wants to. If he'd work his ass off every single game with the goal of putting up as many points in the regular season as possible, I definitely think he can hit 100 points.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think those years are behind him. I thought that with the Guentzel connection he could get a few more, but there's always a lot of nonsense on his RW and he's just not dialed-in enough nightly to overcome less-than-ideal wingers to hit 100 at this point.

I think he's good for around a point-a-game for another 5 years though.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I don’t believe he has it in him unfortunately. He hasn't hit 100 in 5 years and has only done so once in the last 8 years (including lockout season).

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I guess but things would have to go really well for him. I just think where he is at he is still elite but has been passed by the new age of stars coming up IMO.
Malkin hasn't declined very much at all so not sure where you're getting all that from. I'd say only Mcdavid is a clear favorite over Malkin.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd guess probably not, due to age/potential injuries/etc, although there's definitely a decent chance he does.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
dont think crosby is playing for a contract or personal glory anymore. he wants post season success so doubt he scores 100 points anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->