Will/Should 'Gloria" be retired?

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Agree that Gloria’s future is in the hands of the players. Let them decide. I doubt she goes forward.

Please stop with the John Denver song. It has nothing to do with St Louis nor the Blues. That song make me blow chunks every time it’s sung.

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze
Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads
All my memories gather round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye
To the place I belong
I hear her voice, in the morning hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And driving down the road I get a feeling
That I…

OMG can we retire this John Denver classic.

Hell I’d be happy if the fans retired this John Denver classic and replaced it with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Agree that Gloria’s future is in the hands of the players. Let them decide. I doubt she goes forward.

Please stop with the John Denver song. It has nothing to do with St Louis nor the Blues. That song make me blow chunks every time it’s sung.

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze
To the place I belong
All my memories gather round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye
To the place I belong
I hear her voice, in the morning hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And driving down the road I get a feeling
That I…

OMG can we retire this John Denver classic.

Hell I’d be happy if the fans retired this John Denver classic and replaced it with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Who cares if it has nothing to do with STL. It's just a song people like to sing together. I kind of like that it bothers people like that too.

old.jpg

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
I'm fine with it continuing into this season and if we win again then using it again until we lose, but I think it should be retired as soon as we're no longer defending champions, or at least only used on somewhat special occasions and not an everyday thing

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Team finally finds a winning culture and people want to retire parts of it?

You don't retire that, you instill it and amplify it.

Last edited:

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
I'll probably be crucified for this but I never really liked the Gloria craze so I'll be happy if it gets retired. I'd rather hear some good old organ music than any prerecorded crap anyway. The more organ music the better. It kinda irked me that the year we finally won the cup was the year that our old traditions and culture of organ music got shunted to the side in favor of Gloria and that terrible goal song. Country Roads can stay but I'd still rather chant "When the Blues Go Marching In".

Reactions: Stlblue50

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
It would make sense for Gloria to become our "Chelsea Dagger", but on the other hand, it was to the 2018-19 Blues what "Celebration" was to the '82 Cardinals.

Time to let it rest. Also, we own the comment section in the YouTube clip. :laugh:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It was the team's call to start it, it should be the team's call to end it. I just don't want bars and places to play it after regular season wins. If the locker room/arena wants to play it, that's not up to us. But I'm pretty done with it until there is a long enough gap to make me nostalgic for it, which shouldn't be too long. But having heard it (thankfully) for months and months, the burnout is real.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I'll probably be crucified for this but I never really liked the Gloria craze so I'll be happy if it gets retired. I'd rather hear some good old organ music than any prerecorded crap anyway. The more organ music the better. It kinda irked me that the year we finally won the cup was the year that our old traditions and culture of organ music got shunted to the side in favor of Gloria and that terrible goal song. Country Roads can stay but I'd still rather chant "When the Blues Go Marching In".
I’m with you on this for sure! Too much crappy music being played at games in general these days. Although the Blues completely nailed the playoff pregame videos, with great speeches from Chaser/Ect. The “dream on” into the team taking the ice to Enter Sandman was bleeping sweet!!

The story of Gloria randomly being discovered the night before Binny’s first start is the best part of it. Outside of reading an article in February about the song, I don’t recall it getting playing on the Enterprise PA until after we clinched vs the Jets.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think Gloria is pretty classy! I also think that the fans chants are fun and inspiring without being offensive. I think as long as we don't chant "you suck" or "It's all your fault" and don't have strobe lights around the penalty box, we will be okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad