Will/Should 'Gloria" be retired?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Something I've been thinking about (that is very trivial and doesn't matter but, hey, it's the off season), what does everyone think the Blues will do with their victory song 'Gloria' and what do you think they should do?

I feel it should be retired since we won the Cup. I want to listen to that song 5 years from now and it instantly take me back to the Cup winning season. I feel if the Blues try to keep the marketing train going and keep 'Gloria' a "thing" then it might lose it's luster of our Cup winning year.

I want 'Gloria' to be special to our Cup run only but it's a great marketing tool for the team so a part of me can see them want to keep that train going since it's caught on so well.

Reactions: LGB

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I understand the sentiments on both sides of the argument, but it is ultimately up to the players in the locker room and not the organization or its fan base. Remember, this started as an inside thing with the players and really only made its way out of the locker room when we went on that long winning streak in February. As I see it, if the players want to keep it going, they should. If they want to start fresh with a new tradition for the 2019-2020 season then they should do that.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I understand the sentiments on both sides of the argument, but it is ultimately up to the players in the locker room and not the organization or its fan base. Remember, this started as an inside thing with the players and really only made its way out of the locker room when we went on that long winning streak in February. As I see it, if the players want to keep it going, they should. If they want to start fresh with a new tradition for the 2019-2020 season then they should do that.

I agree but while it started out as a player celebration insider type thing it quickly evolved into marketing gold for the Blues organization. Office videos, t-shirts, radio stations playing it for 24 hours straight after series wins.

Which is really the crux of my question I guess, will the Blues even be willing to let go of that marketing chip right now or will they run it into the ground. :laugh:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Put her on the shelf and bring her out for Cup series clinchers.

That's four times a year - that's plenty.

Reactions: tfriede2

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
It should be retired just as the Rally Squirrel and Happy Flight were retired. They were awesome at the time, and they will always inspire positive feelings, but it's a new year and a new team that needs to find its own quirk/identity to grab onto.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Gloria was this team's song. This team won the Cup and achieved immortality. But this team is done. A new team will take the ice this Fall. And the new team needs to find their own song.

Yes, not only for the reasons you listed but the song will get worn out if it's played after every win going forward. They should choose a new song at some point during the season, but it has to happen organically. I hear there is a dive bar in Dallas with a certain affinity for the song "Workin' for the Weekend" by Loverboy.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I think it should be retired, but doubt it will. Maybe break it out after playoff series wins, if nothing else has taken hold yet. I really don't want to hear it after every regular season win...

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Let the players decide. It was their rallying song.

I'm fine with retiring it from being the victory song in the arena but if the players keep playing it in the locker room then that's up to them.

Reactions: rumrokh

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Gloria was this team's song. This team won the Cup and achieved immortality. But this team is done. A new team will take the ice this Fall. And the new team needs to find their own song.

That’s how I see it. It’s not ever going to be the same if they try to keep playing it. It’s associated with the most special moment in Blues history, and to keep playing it only weakens that association.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I've never been part of a team that brought back the prior year's post-win locker room song/traditions. This song already lasted significantly longer than most post-win songs because we went on an incredible 5+ month run. It's ultimately up to the players and I would be shocked if they wanted to bring it into next season. Even if the team's marketing department tries to keep it going, I doubt there is much tread left on that tire.

Gloria is going to be tied to this Cup run in my memory for as long as my brain is working properly. The corny magic isn't going to last much longer and I don't need it to.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Retire it.

It's special.

We won the Cup the year it happened.

We will always remember it as the song that underlined the Cup run.
I'm sure they'll pull it out for big wins/comebacks/playoff series clinchers etc, kinda like the Angels with the rally monkey to this day and that's from 2002.

Mar 6, 2012
I think they should retire the song as well.

Continuing its use would cheapen it and it would get old pretty fast.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Blues should use this next season.

We are the Champions!! :bb:

Trjk.gif

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's over. The Gloria story had the happiest ending possible.

Go back to Run Around Sue.

Reactions: shmotz

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Foo Fighters - There Goes My Hero
Journey - Don't Stop Believing
Tears fo Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Lots of good songs...out there....ready for use next season....

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis

Agree wholeheartedly. It's special for this team and it should remain that way. No sense in ruining something great.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I remember back in 2005, when I was still living in Chicago, the White Sox rally song.

Don’t Stop Believing by Journey.

They pretty much retired that team anthem after that season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad