Will players get a better offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
nope,some reports( :rolleyes: ) suggest that the players will create their leagye and if it's the case no way I would cheer for a player league !!
I'm a habs fan not a crap team here fan !

woody

Jul 25, 2002
Visit site
With ESPN ready to pull the plug on the coverage next year it won't make the players side any stronger. The contract is worth 60 mil.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I about laughed when i read it on the E man's website. Now he's just plain bored.

NHLPA creates its own league = NHL gains just enough ammo to crush it with Impasse.

Mountain Dude

futurcorerock said:
I about laughed when i read it on the E man's website. Now he's just plain bored.

NHLPA creates its own league = NHL gains just enough ammo to crush it with Impasse.

I would love to see the NHLPA create its own league, and just get ****ing owned.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The players starting their own league? So what buildings are they going to play in? Who are they going to find to match the pay they made when they were playing in the NHL? Oh that's right... there aren't any other owners out there who could match their pay.
The players are committing career suicide. I laugh when I read them mentioning this is for the future stars of the game. So why is it that it's fine for them to accept salary restrictions and limits for entry level rookies?
The best offer was on the table from the start... and it progressively kept getting worse for them, not better, and it will be the same in future negotiations. A very miscalculated move by Goodenow, one that cost his union "workers" billions and this will cost them a pretty penny for the future as well. When the owners take a big hit in their pockets, it is going to have a trickle down effect and it will impact the players, big time.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Kryoptix said:
nope,some reports( :rolleyes: ) suggest that the players will create their leagye and if it's the case no way I would cheer for a player league !!
I'm a habs fan not a crap team here fan !

You'd have to think any players left out of the NHLPA league will be PISSED OFF. LOL at the suckers that fund it so the rich players can play while they stay at home.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
me2 said:
You'd have to think any players left out of the NHLPA league will be PISSED OFF. LOL at the suckers that fund it so the rich players can play while they stay at home.
Probably the same ones Bob Goodenow isnt fighting for.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Mountain Dude said:
I would love to see the NHLPA create its own league, and just get ****ing owned.

I'd love to see it just so that they would learn it takes billions of dollars invested to get it up and running, and it's not the license to print money they seem to think it is.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PecaFan said:
I'd love to see it just so that they would learn it takes billions of dollars invested to get it up and running, and it's not the license to print money they seem to think it is.
They play for Gate Receipts ..

They Travel around the country to many Areana's and play games ..

Average 15,000 fans X $50/ticket = $ 750,000 per game .. Building owner gets cut say $100,000 + Parking, Concessions etc and then the 44 players divided up the rest giving them each $14,500 - $15.000 /game per player.

Could buy them losts of time until the NHL changed its stance ..

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
PecaFan said:

I will love it when the infighting on money starts! Teh stars will want a bigger piece of the pie and the journeymen will left hung out to dry. Just like they were last week!

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The Messenger said:

Average 15,000 fans X $50/ticket = $ 750,000 per game .. Building owner gets cut say $100,000 + Parking, Concessions etc and then the 44 players divided up the rest giving them each $14,500 - $15.000 /game per player.

More likely the arena will have 9000 fansX $50= $ 450,000 the building owner will want 1/2 so players take would be $225,000 less travel costs, less insurance costs, less hotel costs, less equipement costs, less staff costs, less advertising costs, less agents costs, less managment costs.... and so on. The players will lose money even trying to do this even without paying themsleves.

The reality is the NHL has the hockey markets tied up so the players will be playing in non hockey markets trying to push their game to people who don't care. How can they be successful when the owners have tapped every resourse they can in strong hockey markets and lose money doing it!

This NHLPA league will end up costing them more than they get back in teh end.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Chayos1 said:
More likely the arena will have 9000 fansX $50= $ 450,000 the building owner will want 1/2 so players take would be $225,000 less travel costs, less insurance costs, less hotel costs, less equipement costs, less staff costs, less advertising costs, less agents costs, less managment costs.... and so on. The players will lose money even trying to do this even without paying themsleves.

The reality is the NHL has the hockey markets tied up so the players will be playing in non hockey markets trying to push their game to people who don't care. How can they be successful when the owners have tapped every resourse they can in strong hockey markets and lose money doing it!

This NHLPA league will end up costing them more than they get back in teh end.
Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec, etc etc .. The AHL areana seat more then 9000 fans ..

but just examples ..

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The Messenger said:
Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec, etc etc .. The AHL areana seat more then 9000 fans ..

but just examples ..

That's assuming NHLPA games sell out - which is not at all a given.

Munchausen

They can talk about it all they want, I don't think the owners take this as a serious threat. In fact, I'd bet they'd be willing to challenge them to do it, so they realize what kind of money it takes to run a league.

First, I think it's safe to say they wouldn't gather more than half what the league can gather in atendence, given the players public opinion is at an all time low and all the big markets are occupied by the NHL owners (+ lots of fans chear for the sweater before the players).

Then, the fun begins. I'm not even sure they could break even with all the related costs to run their league. Unless they want to play uninsured, travel by bus, stay at Motel 6, make their own lunches and have mom make the teams' sweaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Munchausen said:
They can talk about it all they want, I don't think the owners take this as a serious threat. In fact, I'd bet they'd be willing to challenge them to do it, so they realize what kind of money it takes to run a league.

First, I think it's safe to say they wouldn't gather more than half what the league can gather in atendence, given the players public opinion is at an all time low and all the big markets are occupied by the NHL owners (+ lots of fans chear for the sweater before the players).

Then, the fun begins. I'm not even sure they could brake even with all the related costs to run their league. Unless they want to play uninsured, travel by bus, stay at Motel 6, make their own lunches and have mom make the teams' sweaters.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9941
At the other end, the NHL Players' Association could potentially pull some good trump cards of its own - strike or decertification.

Under a strike scenario, the union simply won't accept the new work rules and walk out. They would gamble that fans wouldn't flock back into arenas to watch non-regulars dressed in NHL uniforms.

The other option is for NHLPA members voting to decertify the NHLPA as their representative body. That way, the new framework of the CBA would not be applicable to them. Simply put, you can't have new labour practices applying to members of a union if that union doesn't exist anymore.

This specific process will essentially fragment the union's former membership. Decertified players who think they can make better money under a new CBA could head back to work, while players who take a financial hit from the new CBA could sue the league under anti-trust laws. If 'Hockey Player X' made $9 million US under the old deal, and only $6 million US because of restrictions - whether it be a salary cap, luxury tax, or re-vamped salary arbitration - under a new deal, he could seek damages for as much as three times the difference.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Munchausen said:
...I'm not even sure [the players]...could break even with all the related costs to run their league. Unless they want to play uninsured, travel by bus, stay at Motel 6, make their own lunches and have mom make the teams' sweaters.
:lol

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
The Messenger said:

And how are they going to control salraies? each player would have to negotiate his own contract, and if it is less than the player would accept from the NHL, the NHL could charge the new league with collusion. They are artificially holding player salaries down to undermine the NHL.

If they want to propose a cap or any other control, they would probably need a new union to form with out input or control by the NHLPA. I think this would be funny if the new union wanted a contract that would guarantee that the NHLPA league would lose money.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
The Messenger said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9941
At the other end, the NHL Players' Association could potentially pull some good trump cards of its own - strike or decertification.

Under a strike scenario, the union simply won't accept the new work rules and walk out. They would gamble that fans wouldn't flock back into arenas to watch non-regulars dressed in NHL uniforms.

The other option is for NHLPA members voting to decertify the NHLPA as their representative body. That way, the new framework of the CBA would not be applicable to them. Simply put, you can't have new labour practices applying to members of a union if that union doesn't exist anymore.

This specific process will essentially fragment the union's former membership. Decertified players who think they can make better money under a new CBA could head back to work, while players who take a financial hit from the new CBA could sue the league under anti-trust laws. If 'Hockey Player X' made $9 million US under the old deal, and only $6 million US because of restrictions - whether it be a salary cap, luxury tax, or re-vamped salary arbitration - under a new deal, he could seek damages for as much as three times the difference.

A majority of players would have to feel that they would benefit from decertification. Since they would lose minimum salaraies and a host of other protections guaranteed by having a union, I doubt that over half the players would want to decertify to protect the 100 or so players that make the majority of the money...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
while players who take a financial hit from the new CBA could sue the league under anti-trust laws. If 'Hockey Player X' made $9 million US under the old deal, and only $6 million US because of restrictions - whether it be a salary cap, luxury tax, or re-vamped salary arbitration - under a new deal, he could seek damages for as much as three times the difference.

LOL. If only they hadn't offered the 24% rollback they might have had a solid arguement.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:

but just examples ..

Part of the condition of Chipman building an arena here in Winnipeg was that he wanted the old one torn down to reduce competition. He's recently openly talked about how he'd love to get an NHL team here if economics permitted it. He would not ruin whatever relationship he's got with the NHL (not to mention the motherclub Vancouver Canucks) by allowing the NHLPA a place to play. There's also about a 1/2 dozen NHL ready players on the Moose. What kind of message does he send them by aloowing locked out Millionaires to set up shop in their arena?? I agree with Cahyos1's scenario ... and to be honest, I think he might be overestimating his $450,000 per game gate receipts. Remember the OSHL last fall?? This league will have no more luck getting off the ground then that one.

If I'm one of the 690 players Goodenow doesn't give a crap about, I'd rally the troups & march into his office together and tell him to get the thing done ASAP so they can have closure and hopefully put the real NHL in a position where they can offer them good solid contracts this summer & even better one's in 2006 once this whole thing starts to blow over..... if the players were really willing to come down to 45 mill, there's got to be something there that can bridge the gap. As poorly as Goodenow's played this thing, he must be able to propose something that can make this work and get the NHL back on semi-solid footing before fall..

I can't believe the players are just letting this go on. This is their job and in alot of cases, their father or uncles job and more often then not their brother, father or uncles unrealized dream. Why would they want to ruin "The Show" when they aren't really giving up a whole lot in exchange to making sure it's still there when their sons or nephews turn 18??? They could look back and say they were part of the solution....

I just can't see how these guys think playing in Europe for peanuts or starting their own league (with a % of the gate as their main focus point for salaries ... ironic huh??? hmmmm do I smell cost certainty???? :D) is better then suckign it up and getting the NHL back on the map. It just doesn't make sense.

:(

Last edited:

SENSible1*

If the players decertify, there is nothing stopping the replacement players from forming their own PA and ratifying the CBA.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Both sides will pay the cost of a lost season.

Which almost assuredly means a lower eventual agreement for the players.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
This is for the players.

If ESPN pulls out, thats $2M per team gone.

Advertising will be down due to season's uncertainty.

Ticket sales will likely be down due to lost season.

TV viewership will be down due to lost season.

Therefore, cap offer will have to be lower and linkage should be part of the deal. This is due to lower league wide revenues and more importantly the risk of even lower revenues.

Conclusion: That was your best offer.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
If the players decertify, there is nothing stopping the replacement players from forming their own PA and ratifying the CBA.

That's just nutty. If it got this far though, I hope the replacement players would band together and demand more money. That would be kinda funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad