Will Patrick Roy ever coach in the NHL again?

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Montreal will hire him one day.
But I don't think he ever wanted to coach in the NHL.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I heard he's currently coaching a young prospect named Deez Nuts in the Q. Kids gonna be a superstar, doubt Roy would take up an offer right now.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Patrick Roy came to the Avs and just being head coach wasn't good enough; part of his agreement was that he was also given the title vice-president of hockey operations and would have significant say in trades / roster moves. He wanted and wants significant control over all personnel decisions. He left the Avs because Sakic, by all accounts, locked him out of all of the duties / decision making processes involved in being a GM, including nixing ideas / deals Roy wanted / was negotiating (e.g. signing Radulov, apparently a Duchene trade, and kept Roy out of the Barrie negotiations if I'm not mistaken).
Don't forget trading Nick Holden. Roy hated that.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Always waiting to hear if a team with a coaching vacancy would even interview him and it never comes up. Would any team ever give him another chance or would he ever be interested again? Do you think he will be permanently blackballed?
He won an Adams and was pretty successful in the q so I dont see why a team wouldnt give him another chance if he wants it, I cant see him back in montreal or colorado tho

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Montreal is his best chance or maybe if Quebec comes back one day.
I feel he won't be pursuing, instead letting teams come to him.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Poor Montreal. They have so few coaching candidates.

I think I speak for the majority of Oilers fans when I say we'd gladly give them Kevin Lowe as a gift. He's a Quebec boy and speaks passable French. :sarcasm:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't think so. To me he was way to toxic as a coach. If anything he may get a GM position but won't get to be a coach.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I remember all this going down but not in great detail. What specific players did Roy like vs who Sakic did. A few posters have said he was doing his own GMing but im curious what that actually means, would he start up trades and negotiations or more Sakic would just ask him his input?

Any avs fans wanna give a quick run down?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
It's a shame he doesn't work well with others, I miss his game day pressers I could listen to that guy talk hockey for hours. One of the most passionate hockey minds there is, but I don't ever see him going into a situation where he doesn't have 100% control of the team, so I doubt he leaves the Remparts again.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I remember all this going down but not in great detail. What specific players did Roy like vs who Sakic did. A few posters have said he was doing his own GMing but im curious what that actually means, would he start up trades and negotiations or more Sakic would just ask him his input?

Any avs fans wanna give a quick run down?
Hes a phenomenal motivator for players, knows how to get every ounce of effort from guys who need specific attention. The players seemed to absolutely love playing for him and a lot were shellshocked when he walked away, some sounded almost heart broken in the first interviews. A bit of a river boat gambler at times behind the bench going on hunches and feels for the game. I always hated his system in the D zone, it drove me crazy until they wen't away from the man to man coverage. I'm not sure if it was a combination of he didnt have the type of players to execute the style he wanted to play or what. Wasn't a fan of the players he'd go after draft and trade wise, he seemed to love size for size sake when the league was starting to shift to speed, who knows if he would've finally adjusted. From what I remember operations wise, Roy would basically operate as GM and Sakic would sign off on moves with final say. But I don't think that lasted more than a year or so, when Joe stepped in and the friction started building up.

Reactions: Jamin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad