Will Ovechkin make NHL All-Star First Team?

Will he?

• Total voters

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I was wondering about this as well and I think it's a real tight race between he, Marchand and Gaudreau for the LW spot.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It'll be close between him, Marchand and Gaudreau. I've gone back and forth but based on how media has talked about Gaudreau for the Hart throughout the year, I think he'll be first team, then Ovechkin will be second since his 8th Richard is a pretty big accomplishment. Marchand wasn't talked about much this year until he turned it on late, and while recency bias might play a part, it seems usually the guys near the leaders early in the season get more attention throughout the year and that carries over into awards. He also isn't the clear best forward on his team/line

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
does leading his team in points by a fair margin, the Rocket, and first in the Metro (toughest division in the league imo) put him over the top?

Marchand has a bigger separation between second on the Bruins than Ovechkin does on The Caps - a massive one point. And they finished higher. And he got 11 more points than Ovy.
Just to say Marchand's got a pretty good case.
Ovechkin's a heckuva player and another Rocket is fantastic but I'd probably have him third.

Marchand
Gaudreau
Ovechkin

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I was wondering about this as well and I think it's a real tight race between he, Marchand and Gaudreau for the LW spot.

Leon Draisaitl.

It’s funny how no one is mentioning the guy that put up 50 goals and over 100 points.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
There's zero chance Ovechkin will make either the 1st or 2nd team.

Marchand and Gaudreau will both be ahead, possibly Draisaitl, and possibly Panarin too.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He should, he had a better season than Marchand and Gaudreau and didn't have their support either. Clear MVP of his team, can't say the same for the other guys.
Marchand led his team in scoring by 19 points. Ovechkin led his by 14.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
He should, he had a better season than Marchand and Gaudreau and didn't have their support either. Clear MVP of his team, can't say the same for the other guys.
There’s no way Ovechkin was better than Marchand lol. 11 more points and a FAR superior all around game

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Marchand and Gaudreau will both be ahead, possibly Draisaitl, and possibly Panarin too.

There's a decent chance they both finish ahead, but the Richard winner almost always makes one of the teams. Draisaitl will likely split votes and there's I'd say there's actually zero chance Panarin finishes ahead. I'd bet pretty much anything Ovechkin will be top 3

Last edited:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Marchand has a bigger separation between second on the Bruins than Ovechkin does on The Caps - a massive one point. And they finished higher. And he got 11 more points than Ovy.
Just to say Marchand's got a pretty good case.
Ovechkin's a heckuva player and another Rocket is fantastic but I'd probably have him third.

89 points to Backströms 74. Marchand has a separation of 19 because of more games played. He plays on a stacked top line and is not doing more than Bergeron or Pastrnak are doing every night. Ovechkin has carried the Caps 1st line this year. Kuznetsov has been a shadow of what he brings when he is at his best and Wilson is very good overall with what he brings physically and defensively, but he is not an elite scorer.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
89 points to Backströms 74. Marchand has a separation of 19 because of more games played. He plays on a stacked top line and is not doing more than Bergeron or Pastrnak are doing every night. Ovechkin has carried the Caps 1st line this year. Kuznetsov has been a shadow of what he brings when he is at his best and Wilson is very good overall with what he brings physically and defensively, but he is not an elite scorer.

Because of injuries that line was only together a little over 40 games this year and he still hit the century mark. Marchand was bringing it when Pasta and Bergeron were out of the line-up and had a fantastic season. So the separation in points still matters.

Any of these three guys is deserving for 1st team all-star and it's a shame one of them won't even make the 2nd team. If Marchand doesn't get the nod - fine - as Johnny Hockey and Ovy had great years also - just wanted to chime in that Marchand's was just as impressive.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

I hope he makes the All-Star team just because you said there’s “zero chance”

Reactions: WingsFan95

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I hope he makes the All-Star team just because you said there’s “zero chance”
I don't think you should care what I say. I don't care if Ovechkin makes it or not. And I'm not saying whether I think he should or shouldn't.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks he will.

Last season, Ovechkin finished 11th in overall scoring, won the Rocket, and finished 3rd in voting behind Hall and Giroux. (And he almost certainly would've finished 4th if Marchand hadn't missed 14 games).

This season, Ovechkin finished 15th in overall scoring, again won the Rocket, and there are 3 LWs - Draisaitl, Marchand, Gaudreau - who finished well above him in scoring, plus Panarin, who finished very slightly behind. Not to mention that Marchand and Gaudreau are both being talked about in the media as possible Hart finalists, as evidence that the media think very highly of their seasons.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
will he? probably

should he? nope.

AS-1 should go to 1 of Marchand, Draisaitl, Gaudreau.

Really Draisaitl and Marchand should be AS-1 and AS-2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad