Will Ovechkin beat Gretzky in all-time goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
34 and still leading the league in ES goals after 60 games. Zero signs of declining.

IvanMalison

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Teemu Selanne scored 40 goals in his age 35 season and 48 in his age 36 season. I see no reason to think Ovechkin can't do something similar until he hits age 36. He would only really need 120ish goals after that point. 4 more at 30 a season seems doable to me...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
793-648 = 145 goals.

145 goals isn’t a whole lot for a 33 year aged player to get.

especially a 33 year old that's still good enough to be the overwhelming favorite for the rocket this season 3/4ths of the way into the year

that's no normal 33 year old

Reactions: BallardEra

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
that second PP goal was really impressive he had 3 kings hovering around him and aware of his presence goalie was focused on him, you would think the other 4 caps would just try to score since Ovi was being shutdown but nah, pass the puck to ovi and he roofs it before you even see the puck leave his stick.

Reactions: Bananas and geoo9

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I’m pulling for Ovechkin but you can tell how new some hockey fans are by acting like it’s going to be easy, or that he can’t fall off a cliff or have any combination of things happen that would prevent him from breaking the record. Or just because an outlier like Selanne put up 48 goals so late in his career that it almost certainly means Ovie will do it.

I’m sure no one thought he would put up 32 goals at age 25 over a full season a mere 3 seasons after potting 65 or that he would have a grand total of zero 90+ point seasons over the next 9 years since he put up 109 points in just 72 games.

Things happen. He has the best shot of anyone in a long long time and I think it would be awesome for him to do it. But it would not remotely shock me if he didn’t get to 800 goals, let alone 895.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well he won't "shatter" it, it'll be close. Eventually he does have to slow down but the question is how much will he? It's pretty remarkable at how few games he has missed in his career.
What I find most remarkable about Ovechkin is how productive he's been so late in his career. If we count this season where he's currently ranked number one... in 6 out of 7 seasons from age 27 to 33 he's led the league in goals. That is absolutely ridiculous. Normally players rack up their best seasons in their mid to late 20s. For this guy to still be leading the league going into his mid 30s is nothing short of a freak of nature.

I always viewed this record as unbreakable but honestly, if I had to bet one way or another now I'd actually put my money on Ovechkin.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I think after some years he may want to play in Russia. So the record should be safe. Ovie is still the best goal scorer of all time

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
What I find most remarkable about Ovechkin is how productive he's been so late in his career. If we count this season where he's currently ranked number one... in 6 out of 7 seasons from age 27 to 33 he's led the league in goals. That is absolutely ridiculous. Normally players rack up their best seasons in their mid to late 20s. For this guy to still be leading the league going into his mid 30s is nothing short of a freak of nature.

I always viewed this record as unbreakable but honestly, if I had to bet one way or another now I'd actually put my money on Ovechkin.
He did most of his damage after it appeared he was declining...

Thing is goalscorers are incredibly inconsistent. I just can't believe we're having this conversation in today's league. One of his unbreakable record could in fact be broken.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
If he wants too play that long. There is no sign of him slowing down. If he decides to continue too play in N.A he breaks it fairly easily.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I’m pulling for Ovechkin but you can tell how new some hockey fans are by acting like it’s going to be easy, or that he can’t fall off a cliff or have any combination of things happen that would prevent him from breaking the record. Or just because An outlier like Selanne put up 48 goals so late in his career that it almost certainly means Ovie will do it.

I’m sure no one thought he would put up 32 goals at age 25 over a full season a mere 3 seasons after potting 65 or that he would have a grand total of zero 90+ point seasons over the next 9 years since he put up 109 points in just 72 games.

Things happen. He has the best shot of anyone in a long long time and I think it would be awesome for him to do it. But it would not remotely shock me if he didn’t get to 800 goals, let alone 895.
I get what you're saying, it won't be easy. But if anyone can do it, it's Ovechkin. You say that Selanne is an outlier. Ovie is an outlier as well, winning multiple rockets after age 30 and no signs of slowing down.

I am a huge Caps and Ovie fan and a few year ago 895 seemed virtually impossible. Now there is a path to it, even if it's still unlikely which is insane. 800 is pretty much a given at this point barring him retiring early.

Reactions: Aliceanna

member 300185

793-648 = 145 goals.

145 goals isn’t a whole lot for a 33 year aged player to get.
894-647=247 is the actual math, so yea, as a 33 year old that would be very hard to get. And that is just a tie. Google is your friend.

member 300185

First 10 years

Ovechkin-475 in 760 games
Gretzky-637 in 774 games

So for you that enjoy common sense, who was better in their first 10 years? Clearly Gretzky and its not even close. Gretzky scored 162 goals more than Ovi in his first 10 seasons.

The target to beat Gretzky is 895. Ovi needs 248 to have the record. He needs almost 50 goals a season for the next 5 seasons. The last time Ovi put up a 50 goal season was 4 years ago. Let that sink in Ovi lovers. He has 23 games left this season to score 8 for a 50 goal season.

Oh yea, there is the other matter of Playoffs.

Ovechkin-61
Gretzky-122

After 14 seasons.

Ovechkin 647
Gretzky 765

Again, after 14 seasons, Gretzky is 118 goals ahead of Ovi as of right now.
So in order to catch Gretzky as of right now, he is behind by 118 goals to make up along the way to even tie each other after 14 seasons.

It can't be done folks.

As of right now, 14 season each, Gretzky is clearly the better scorer, and also having only one good winger to play with because of the goon linemate in over 90% of his games.

Admit it Ovi fans, as of this day who is the better goal scorer?
Gretzky used 8 dollar wood sticks with not much flex. Ovi uses a $400 dollar composite. Skates are 10 times better now. Reffing is much much better now and there is no hooking and redline offsides.

Imagine what 99 could have done with todays rules? Imagine how many more goals he could have scored with 2 solid wingers instead of one of them being a goon?

Not even close. Ovi is in the same caliber of Jagr, not Wayne Gretzky. Ovi is just finishing up his 14th year. In order to tie Gretzky in 14 equal years to say he is as good as Gretzky, he would need another 118 goals in his last 23 games. Good luck with that.

ps. Also, there is the matter of the 1963 assists to Ovi's 542. I know we are talking about goals basically but also, in his first 10 years, imagine if Gretzky shot more instead of passing it off. Gretzky has over 1400 more points than Ovi in assists alone.

Gretzky finished his career with a +/- of +520. Ovi is +96.

A lot of people dont know this but Gretzky was great defensively. His father taught him to play both ends of the ice and therefore, had the puck more.

As a guy who has watched both players for their entire career so far, you would clearly see the big gap between these two players. Gretzky is the greatest of all time and his jersey is not only retire in L.A and Edmonton, but it is retired League wide.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 300185

Lets break it down even further.

Year 1
Ovi-52
Gretzky 51
Ovi by 1 goal.

Year 2
Ovi-46
Gretzky 55
Gretzky by 9 goals.

Year 3
Ovi-65
Gretzky-92
Gretzky by 27

Year 4
Ovi-56
Gretzky-71
Gretzky by 15

Year 5
Ovi-50
Gretzky-87
Gretzky by 37

Year 6
Ovi-32
Gretzky-73
Gretzky by 41

Year 7
Ovi-38
Gretzky-52
Gretzky by 14

Year 8
Ovi-32
Gretzky-62
Gretzky by 30

Year 9
Ovi-51
Gretzky-40
Ovi by 11.

Year 10
Ovi-53
Gretzky-54
Gretzky by 1.

I might add also there were only 80 game seasons for Gretzky's first 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->