Will officiating ever go back to the way it was 2005-2007?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Scoring was up, the game was more offensive. Today, not even close. I know its the playoffs and the refs let more go, but guys were basically tackling each other out there and game 6 alone should've had at least 10 interferences/hooking/holding calls per team.

A big thing for me is that when players do that soft dump in, defenders are allowed to block their path and interfere with them the whole way to the boards, which probably causes a lot of scoring chances to not occur. That, on top of the amount of penalties that should be called from this, would increase scoring a lot. I know scoring isn't everything and a lot of 1-0 games can be exciting hockey, but Crosby's 44 goal campaign was enough to win him a Rocket Richard. 44 goals ?!?!?!

Also will goalie equipment ever be decreased in size? What if goalie pads were shrunk on both sides by lets say, 1 cm, every year until the scoring returns to a slightly higher level.

Any thoughts?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I doubt it. I think the league is worried a faster, more free flowing game on the small rinks the NHL insists on using will result in more big hits and concussions and they're likely right.

Although the game now is boring as sin to watch with the systems and interference, I think we're stuck with it.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The NHL execs seem to come out every now and then and say they're happy with the game and think it's headed in the right direction... So no, I don't think so. I don't think the NHL even perceive it as an issue.

Which is sad, but what can you do.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I wish

As for the goalie equipment, that doesnt really take away from excitement. It'll just mean the same amount of boring gameplay will occur with a few more goals going in.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Also will goalie equipment ever be decreased in size? What if goalie pads were shrunk on both sides by lets say, 1 cm, every year until the scoring returns to a slightly higher level.

Any thoughts?

Equipment was shrunk mid season this year, they might go slightly further but I'd imagine not for several seasons.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Equipment was shrunk mid season this year, they might go slightly further but I'd imagine not for several seasons.

Pants shrunk this season. They shrunk pads in prior years, along with gloves and blockers. Up next is the chest protector.

Will the NHL ever call the game that tight again? Doubtful.... That would require a push from the superstar players in the game today. I don't see that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad