Will Nolan Patrick Have a Breakout Season?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So Nolan Patrick needs to develop into a 50-60 point two-way center or the Flyers aren't going anywhere. Meanwhile, the Flyers signed an actual 50-60 point two-way center in Kevin Hayes but that does nothing to change their path. Real sound logic there boss.

I don't think 50-60 points is what we were hoping that Nolan Patrick developed into.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Kevin Hayes has broken 50 points 1 time in his 5 year NHL career and has never broken 60 points, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if he ever does so.
I'm aware of his numbers. He had 54 points in only 71 games last year and 49 points two years ago. Considering him a 50-60 point center isn't exactly a stretch. If it makes you feel better though we can call him a 45-55 point center. Either way, it's a hell of a lot better than Patrick's 30 points the last two years.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't think 50-60 points is what we were hoping that Nolan Patrick developed into.
When he was drafted, or course not. After two straight seasons of 30 points and less than 20 goals, 50-60 points seems pretty good. Obviously he is still very young but considering he was the 2nd overall pick it's not unfair to say he has been a bit of a disappointment thus far which ultimately led to their need to sign a guy like Hayes.

Reactions: DaphneLion

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm aware of his numbers. He had 54 points in only 71 games last year and 49 points two years ago. Considering him a 50-60 point center isn't exactly a stretch. If it makes you feel better though we can call him a 45-55 point center. Either way, it's a hell of a lot better than Patrick's 30 points the last two years.

Oh, for f***'s sake, he's 6.5 years older than Patrick. At Patrick's age, Hayes scored a whopping 6 goals and 19 assists in 27 games--for Boston College.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
When he was drafted, or course not. After two straight seasons of 30 points and less than 20 goals, 50-60 points seems pretty good. Obviously he is still very young but considering he was the 2nd overall pick it's not unfair to say he has been a bit of a disappointment thus far which ultimately led to their need to sign a guy like Hayes.

of course not. Anyone who tells you they aren't disappointed in the development of Patrick is lying to themselves. THe problem is that the hayes signing reeks of desperation to stay competitive right now, but that contract and player really further complicates our future as legitimate contender instead of staying in the hunt for that 8th playoff spot and eventual first round exit that we all so desperately crave as an organization

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
how many 2nd overall picks find themselves outside the top 6 , and not on the top pp of a non playoff team?
Ones on a team with an borderline elite 1C and a brand new expensive addition who will obviously get every opportunity possible to justify the contract.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ones on a team with an borderline elite 1C and a brand new expensive addition who will obviously get every opportunity possible to justify the contract.

well wait. Here you have this elite center on your prospect on a cheap elc, surely going out and signing an expensive addition seems not only redundant but also problematic.

Teams that draft elite centers make room for them, what they definitely don't do is add to the position to crowd it even further.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mja

Jan 7, 2005
He was talking about this upcoming year.

of course not. Anyone who tells you they aren't disappointed in the development of Patrick is lying to themselves.

I am not disappointed in the development of Patrick, outside of injuries, and I'm not lying to myself.

That he's a talented two-way center who looks likely to be at least a 2C (if he can stay healthy) who'll be good for 50-60 points a year I'm rather certain of, and it's all I ever expected from him. If he can grow into more than that, fantastic. Some people just seem to have had silly expectations that he was going to be a PPG player or something before he hit his 22nd birthday, based purely on draft position. That's where the disappointment lies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
well wait. Here you have this elite center on your prospect on a cheap elc, surely going out and signing an expensive addition seems not only redundant but also problematic.

Teams that draft elite centers make room for them, what they definitely don't do is add to the position to crowd it even further.
That's why I was against signing a FA 2C.

But I don't have control of this team.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Oh, for ****'s sake, he's 6.5 years older than Patrick. At Patrick's age, Hayes scored a whopping 6 goals and 19 assists in 27 games--for Boston College.
Oh Ok, so the Flyer should have just put their franchise on hold waiting for Nolan Patrick to live up to being the 2nd overall pick. Got it.

This isn't a debate of who is going to be the better player long term. It's about who the better player is right now which isn't even worthy of a discussion.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Oh Ok, so the Flyer should have just put their franchise on hold waiting for Nolan Patrick to live up to being the 2nd overall pick. Got it.

This isn't a debate of who is going to be the better player long term. It's about who the better player is right now which isn't even worthy of a discussion.

This mindset is exactly how you end up running a franchise into the ground.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
of course not. Anyone who tells you they aren't disappointed in the development of Patrick is lying to themselves. THe problem is that the hayes signing reeks of desperation to stay competitive right now, but that contract and player really further complicates our future as legitimate contender instead of staying in the hunt for that 8th playoff spot and eventual first round exit that we all so desperately crave as an organization
The Flyers obviously think that adding Hayes, Niskanen, and Braun, along with a much improved coaching staff will make them better than a fringe playoff team. After almost a decade of being an afterthought and having no playoff success what so ever I am willing to give that logic a chance. They couldn't just continue to wait and hope with all of their eggs in the basket that young guys like Patrick take huge steps forward right now. Either way, there is nothing wrong with having great center depth and having Hayes and Patrick behind Couturier.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
And your mindset is exactly how a team becomes an afterthought around the league and has zero playoff success for nearly a decade.

:laugh:

You have no idea what my mindset is or is not. I've been frustrated by about 4 billion decisions this team has made over the last decade, including a huge chunk of Hextall's body of work. It's not a binary. Even in this little mini-debate between you, me, @Jtown, & @Striiker, there are 4 distinct yet overlapping viewpoints going on here. I'm all for adding guys who legitimately help us win a Stanley Cup. I'm just not here for adding guys to give us the illusion of helping us win a Stanley Cup. Meanwhile, you would have us give up on being patient when it makes sense to be patient just because we have to do something to be relevant, completely blinded to the possibility that all you are really advocating for is another decade of irrelevance.

Details matter. You do things that move the needle and make sense. You don't just act for action's sake. That's how you end up signing MacDonald for 5 X 5 because he's better than what you have at the time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I notice that Toronto added JT and ended up with 5 less points and another 1st rd exit.
Maybe it's more important to add good fits than "stars."

Let's see, we added a two way center with a higher career shooting % than any of our forwards who can help on the PK.
Is that a good fit?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The Flyers obviously think that adding Hayes, Niskanen, and Braun, along with a much improved coaching staff will make them better than a fringe playoff team. After almost a decade of being an afterthought and having no playoff success what so ever I am willing to give that logic a chance. They couldn't just continue to wait and hope with all of their eggs in the basket that young guys like Patrick take huge steps forward right now. Either way, there is nothing wrong with having great center depth and having Hayes and Patrick behind Couturier.

IF the flyers think that adding Hayes Niskanen , and Braun makes us better than a fringe playoff team then we are more f***ed than I originally thought. I thought this was a half assed patchwork job to evaluate if this team has the personnel to compete going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->