Will Niittymaki be considered the real deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chthonic

Dec 10, 2005
If niitty continues to do well, will he finally be considered better than lehtonen (he also outplayed lehtonen in the calder cup finals last year)? maybe closer in status to kipper? or will people just assume lethonen and kipprusoff would have done better if they played, and niitty only played because they were hurt.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
He didn't really have too much to do today, though he acquitted himself as well as he had to. Let's wait until we get a bit further into the tournament before we call him better than Lehtonen or Toivonen. It still worries me how far back in the net he sometimes plays, considering he's not the biggest goalie around.

Still, I'm pulling for him!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I know people were just predicting the Swiss would score just because Niitty isn't good enough to shut them out. Wrong.

chthonic

Dec 10, 2005
007 said:
He didn't really have too much to do today, though he acquitted himself as well as he had to. Let's wait until we get a bit further into the tournament before we call him better than Lehtonen or Toivonen. It still worries me how far back in the net he sometimes plays, considering he's not the biggest goalie around.

Still, I'm pulling for him!
but im saying, say he has a really good if not spectacular run. would people take him seriously then? i feel like hes really unheralded outside of philadelphia

chthonic

Dec 10, 2005
i dont like that one bit.
but seriously though i really dont see the similarities.
cechmanek was a great goalie, but a total headcase and not a teamplayer. niittymaki is quiet and a teamplayer. i dont see that happening again.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
Do you guys think he will replace Esche as the full time starter in Philly? It just seems like his talent is squandered if they use him as a backup.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
I see Niittymaki as a #1 goaltender, but not in the same class as guys like Lehtonen, Toivonen, Lundqvist, Miller, or Fleury.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
As mentioned, for Niittymäki to be good enough to be a star goalie, he needs to stop thinking he can play butterfly and take a solid stand up role. He has the skill and heart to do the convertion...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
blacklabel said:
But none of them are Finns. :D

and none of them had real resounding success in another league before coming here

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Nitty has aquitted himself well in the NHL, but he has had more pro level experience than Lehtonen. I'd wait about 3 years before making a comparison between these two. Plus, Nitty plays for a better defensive team too, which helps him out.

Synthetic

Apr 12, 2004
Columbia, MO
I thought he had another SO today until I realized the goalies had been rotated.

Not that he couldn't have done the same thing himself, though.

Yay for Niitty.

Yay for Philly, only team with two goalies in the Olympics.

Whoo for me! I'm a massive homer.

Jaysus

Jul 28, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Gesthar said:
Yay for Philly, only team with two goalies in the Olympics.

Slightly ironic, that if not for the two injuries that lead to Nitty making the team in the first place, two other teams could have had two goalies *selected* to the olympics - Atl, Cgy (even though Boudaj has since been traded).

Jaysus

Jul 28, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
wasn't Budaj traded to Calgary, then Phoenix?

EDIT: Sorry, I got my former Hershey Bears (AHL) goalies confused - I was thinking Philippe Sauve.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Colorado doesn't have two goalies in the Olympics, they have THREE. Their #3 guy is Vitaly Kolesnik the 'tender for Kazakhstan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad