Will Nick “Nature Boy” Suzuki become a true 1C?

Will Suzuki become a true 1C?

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I could see him as a #1b type center, sure. Depending on how a team is configurated. But it's a lot easier to see him as just a great #2C. Have a hard time seeing him as that "True #1C" as outlined in the original question here, as a legitimate ~Top-20 Center in the league, all situations go-to force though.

Really, i see him capping out somewhere around where Bryan Little did at his peak. Maybe sneaking into that sort of top ~20 scoring Centers here and there, playing that top center role for a team off and on, but never quite entirely ascending to that unquestionable, "True #1C" status.

But he is still young, so i'm not going to definitively say that the arrow can't still be pointing quite a bit more upward.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Holy crap man did Turris sleep with your sister or something? :laugh:

A peak Kyle "f***ing" Turris is an apt comparison for Suzuki imo, and Im debating with some people who want to act like Ive just compared him to George Paros. Like get a grip guys...

So if you just wanted to do a big circle jerk on Suzuki and talk about how good you guys think he will be, well then the Habs board >>>>>>> that way friend. :thumbu:

Turris cracked 60 points once and fell over more than any player to play the game, getting No1 center ice time playing with stone and EK he put up second line center numbers he was an iffy number 2 at best.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
You better hope it's made out of real leather.
21 years old, PPG+ in his last 12 games (14 points to be precise) and still improving. Yeah, I still believe he’s going to be a 1C before not long (it could take a season or two, but he’ll get there).

Are you willing to eat a leather shoe if I’m right? ;)

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
upload_2021-5-21_9-9-42.jpeg

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
21 years old, PPG+ in his last 12 games (14 points to be precise) and still improving. Yeah, I still believe he’s going to be a 1C before not long (it could take a season or two, but he’ll get there).

Are you willing to eat a leather shoe if I’m right? ;)

Considering I only wear Italian patent leather shoes, that's a deal I won't refuse.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So he won’t be on the tier of the two very best centers on the game. That’s some limb to climb out on.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He paced ~60 points as a 21 year old sophmore while playing PP and PK. If he gets to 70 points and is playing all situations I'd call that a 1C.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Would Zibanejad, and his career trajectory be close? Does Suzuki project to top out as a 20 goal scorer or does he get it cranked up to 30, with a shot at 40?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
So he won’t be on the tier of the two very best centers on the game. That’s some limb to climb out on.

Ok.

I'll say he won't be on that Bergeron, Getzlaf, Barzal, Giroux, Stamkos, Point, and Tavares tier either.

Maybe at his best he's on Scheifele's tier.

I see him more on the ROR & Duchene tier.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
He won't be a #1 C in the McDavid/MacKinnon tier.

I can see him being in that ROR or Duchene tier.

Well yeah, those guys don't come around often, they're generational. I wouldn't set the bar for #1C that high. As long as you're a top 30C in the league, you're a #1C in my books.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He reminds me too much Jason Arnott.

Which means that I personally believe he'll be a very solid NHLer for years and put up a good amount of points to make everybody happy.

Mar 12, 2009
Well i liked him a lot as a junior prospect, I thought he'd be good but thought it would tke him longer to transitin. With strength and more experiene, I think it's possible. Worst case is a top notch 2C and PP driver

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I can see him being around where Duchene was. Consistent 65-70 point player. Not a true 1C you build around though. Good player, doubt he becomes elite

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
I'm going with the "he's already a 2A" and most definitely will be a top 20 #1 center in the NHL in 2-3 years.

He currently ranked 31st in points amongst all centers and scored at a 60 point pace/82 games

He's in his second year. What does it take to classify a player as a true #1 C? They have to consistently be in the top 31 centers in the league.

Granted his career impact will most likely never pass players like (Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel, Aho, Barkov, Point, Backstrom, Kopitar, Bergeron, Couturier, Crosby, Malkin) which we could argue are the top 10-14 centers over the last 2-3 years, some of these guys will be falling out of favor due to age.

Then you fall on guys like O'Reilly, Pavelski, Zibanejad, Lindholm, Krejci, Trocheck, Miller, Giroux, Hertl, Karlsson, Horvat, Schenn, Duchene, Johansen etc.

If we look at it that way, all of these guys are considered first line centers in the NHL on a "there are 31 top line centers in the NHL" basis

Suzuki has performed as well as any of those guys this season, his second in the NHL, at the age of 21 playing on a offensively challenged team.

I think it's safe to say he could hit 70-75 in 2 years time and 80-85 possibly a couple times in his career while playing responsible defensive minutes as well driving play offensively if surrounded by a decent supporting class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->