Will Nanaimo ever get a team?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I feel Boise could work if it wasn't so far away. I find that Billings and Missoula would be an interesting addition, but I think Boise is suited for AHL more than WHL which I believe happens in the far future.

I think with the rise of Americans playing the WHL will have to make a play for some of those states soon or the USHL might beat them to it. But even then I think WHL is a more exciting league due to 18 year olds not leaving for College every year.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I think with the rise of Americans playing the WHL will have to make a play for some of those states soon or the USHL might beat them to it. But even then I think WHL is a more exciting league due to 18 year olds not leaving for College every year.
I agree about the WHL being a better product but even if it wasn't, the USHL needs to get a lot sorted out to ever contest that part of the country. Realistically the BCHL has it covered IMO. Although NHL-Seattle's owner remarked somewhere that he thought a 'western NTDP' would be worthwhile and that would be a real threat too.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree about the WHL being a better product but even if it wasn't, the USHL needs to get a lot sorted out to ever contest that part of the country. Realistically the BCHL has it covered IMO. Although NHL-Seattle's owner remarked somewhere that he thought a 'western NTDP' would be worthwhile and that would be a real threat too.

Yeah that's where I see the NTDP situation headed. Regional teams that play against eachother. Could mean trouble for the WHL getting Americans and really any of the CHL leagues.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

USHL isn't expanding out of their Midwest footprint. They looked at it long and hard when the East Coast was up for grabs a few years ago and passed on it. Any notion that they would even consider putting a team west of Fargo is malarkey. The league didn't even want to stretch to Johnston, PA and you think they're going to make a play for Oregon? They've got a business model that works in a footprint that works with a scouting and development model that works since they grab the best talent on a national level the United States has to offer on an annual basis. They're not expanding past this footprint even in the long-term. They're letting the NAHL fight the regional battles for them, and even the NAHL doesn't bother with the WHL footprint.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Yeah that's where I see the NTDP situation headed. Regional teams that play against eachother. Could mean trouble for the WHL getting Americans and really any of the CHL leagues.
I hope so. There is so much money that goes to the 20 or so best players when regions like the west, south, even east coast could all use those resources for regional NTDP operations just as well if not more efficiently.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The idea of the American teams not in the WHL is shocking, but might be better for the W in the long run. five teams is a huge hit but you could move one or two and have a Canadian only league that sizewise would be way more in line with the Q and the OHL.

A western based USNDTP makes sense as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Interesting that Vernon is being mentioned as a possible future expansion team but with a population of around 55K to draw on could it even work in a 3000 seat arena?

corporate sponsorship would be okay as Kal tire already has the naming rights for the arena and is based in Vernon but it's quite a reach.

More likely would be a return to Chilliwack, which has a larger population now, which lost the team due to politics and the ownership group wanting to move to Victoria.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Interesting that Vernon is being mentioned as a possible future expansion team but with a population of around 55K to draw on could it even work in a 3000 seat arena?

corporate sponsorship would be okay as Kal tire already has the naming rights for the arena and is based in Vernon but it's quite a reach.

More likely would be a return to Chilliwack, which has a larger population now, which lost the team due to politics and the ownership group wanting to move to Victoria.
Vernon is too close to Kelowna. The only places in BC that are reasonable for an expansion WHL franchise would be Nanaimo or one of the Fraser Valley communities, Chilliwack (as you say) being the best candidate.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Vernon is too close to Kelowna. The only places in BC that are reasonable for an expansion WHL franchise would be Nanaimo or one of the Fraser Valley communities, Chilliwack (as you say) being the best candidate.

I agree and was only responding to the OP.

Nanamio and Chilliwack are more logical and make more sense.

Reactions: MeHateHe

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
I agree and was only responding to the OP.

Nanamio and Chilliwack are more logical and make more sense.

The OP didn't make the post. I did. And, I only listed it as population wise it fits within parameters and that the rivalry would be fun. Arena size and geographical location are issues for sure and I don't think it is a legitimate consideration.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The OP didn't make the post. I did. And, I only listed it as population wise it fits within parameters and that the rivalry would be fun. Arena size and geographical location are issues for sure and I don't think it is a legitimate consideration.

My bad I need to find a different acronym instead of OP.

I think if there was a larger arena built in Nanaimo they could have a successful WHL franchise in a growing city with a natural rivalry with Victoria.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
What is the approximate population needed for the WHL to consider expansion/relocation? The Comox Valley, located a 60 minute drive north of Nanaimo and 30 minute drive south of Campbell River, has a population of about 60,000 and is growing rapidly. Is that somewhere the WHL would be interested in if they had an acceptable arena?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
What is the approximate population needed for the WHL to consider expansion/relocation? The Comox Valley, located a 60 minute drive north of Nanaimo and 30 minute drive south of Campbell River, has a population of about 60,000 and is growing rapidly. Is that somewhere the WHL would be interested in if they had an acceptable arena?
That still seems pretty small for WHL needs, especially given the demographics - a lot of retirees coming from Alberta. I think the appeal of Nanaimo is that they could draw from as far south as Duncan and as far north as the Comox Valley, which would give them a possible fan base in the range of 200,000.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That still seems pretty small for WHL needs, especially given the demographics - a lot of retirees coming from Alberta. I think the appeal of Nanaimo is that they could draw from as far south as Duncan and as far north as the Comox Valley, which would give them a possible fan base in the range of 200,000.

I agree that Nanaimo is the goal on the island and with the newer Island highway fans from Campbell river can make the drive as well.

All that is really needed is a new arena.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Nanamio is the obvious answer here and it's in your post as the Comox valley is only a 60 minute drive from Nanamio.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Nanaimo itself has over 100,000 people (105,000 according to 2016 census). Another 150,000 population within an hour's drive.

Cowichan Valley: 44,000
Ladysmith: 9,000
Parksville/Qualicum: 22,000
Port Alberni: 18,000
Comox Valley: 54,000

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Nanaimo or greater Nanaimo is closer to 190.000 if you include ladysmith,parksville Qualicum/errington,Nanoose

It’s overdue for a WHL team

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad