Will Montoya **** The Bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

Okay, so it's only been two games and only one against a real threat (i.e. Russia), but his GA avg. is 4. I'm not sure about the save pct. though. I don't think he'll be tested much against Belarus (if he even plays - last year USA was one of the few teams that played their #1 against the weak team) but he will be vs the Czechs. I haven't seen tonight's game yet but from what I hear most of the goals were the D's fault and not Montoya's. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say - especially those that have watched him all year.

AgentNaslund*

well, after 2 games, Montoyas let in 8. It didnt seem like he really rebounded after a bad game. Jeff Glass allowed 3 in the 1st game, but 1 in the 2nd game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
did you watch the game?

montoya was very good through most of the game and only 1 goal was really his fault (he blew it on that one but considering he just got screwed for 3 goals real quick before that, he may have been just a little rattled)

4 goals against last night isn't indicative of his play IMO

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Levitate said:
did you watch the game?

montoya was very good through most of the game and only 1 goal was really his fault (he blew it on that one but considering he just got screwed for 3 goals real quick before that, he may have been just a little rattled)

4 goals against last night isn't indicative of his play IMO

His rebound control is less than stellar.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
A huge reason why he is letting in so many goals is the defense. I said it at the start of the thread and continue to say it. His style gives off many rebounds. Last year he had great defensmen to clear the puck and tie up players in front. This years defense is smallerand can't handle the big boys in front.

AgentNaslund*

well if swisterland scores 4 or more on you, there is something wrong with the team. Maybe my standards are so high because Canada is so powerful this season.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
A huge reason why he is letting in so many goals is the defense. I said it at the start of the thread and continue to say it. His style gives off many rebounds. Last year he had great defensmen to clear the puck and tie up players in front. This years defense is smallerand can't handle the big boys in front.

The defensmen cant stop soft goals.

A soft goal is a shot the goalie should stop. Cant blame the D for that. Now maybe if teams were getting 3rd and 4th rebound oppurtunities then yes you could blame the D and not Montoya.

Reilly311

La-La-Laprise said:
The defensmen cant stop soft goals.

A soft goal is a shot the goalie should stop. Cant blame the D for that. Now maybe if teams were getting 3rd and 4th rebound oppurtunities then yes you could blame the D and not Montoya.

I take it you haven't been watching the US games then?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reilly311 said:
I take it you haven't been watching the US games then?

I know that their defense has struggled but they arent the ones that are making Montoya allow Soft goals.

The whole point of a soft goal is that the Goalie should stop it. How is that the defensmen's fault?

Reilly311

La-La-Laprise said:
I know that their defense has struggled but they arent the ones that are making Montoya allow Soft goals.

Montoya saw 35 shots last night and 34 the game before. He's only let in 1 (maybe 2 depending how you view it) soft goals in the two games he's played. **** happens. Once the defense gets the shot total to around 20-25 he'll be fine (as he proved last night through the first 2 periods).

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Reilly311 said:
Montoya saw 35 shots last night and 34 the game before. He's only let in 1 (maybe 2 depending how you view it) soft goals in the two games he's played. **** happens. Once the defense gets the shot total to around 20-25 he'll be fine (as he proved last night through the first 2 periods).

One softie? Last night there was one.

The game against Russia he should have stopped the first goal, and the Ovechkin goal. The first one was from practically the blue-line with little or no traffic. We all know Ovechkin is a stud in the maikng, but no goalie should allow a goal from that terrible angle. Later in the game he easily kicked out the same shot so that was pretty week.

That said, it's only been 2 games. He was huge in 8 games last year. The defense is weak, but I expect a strong rebound game hopefully in game 3!

Reilly311

Barnaby said:
One softie? Last night there was one.

The game against Russia he should have stopped the first goal, and the Ovechkin goal. The first one was from practically the blue-line with little or no traffic. We all know Ovechkin is a stud in the maikng, but no goalie should allow a goal from that terrible angle. Later in the game he easily kicked out the same shot so that was pretty week.

That said, it's only been 2 games. He was huge in 8 games last year. The defense is weak, but I expect a strong rebound game hopefully in game 3!

I dont view the Ovechkin goal as soft, but ok.

JR#9*

Everyone is getting all crazy about a 19 yr old goalie going through a rough spot.

The kid has been subpar in the 1st TWO games but every then he has shown flashes of his brilliance.

To me this is all part of the learning curve, not just to deal with all the glory of winning but also to learn to battle through the rough spots, to tough it out when your game isn't at the level you are accustomed to.

Kind of reminds me of MA Fleury getting all that **** for struggling a bit at the end of last year and blowing the 2 goal lead in the WJC Gold medal game.

Reilly311

JR#9 said:
Everyone is getting all crazy about a 19 yr old goalie going through a rough spot.

The kid has been subpar in the 1st TWO games but every then he has shown flashes of his brilliance.

I dont even think he's played horrible. Too many people on here are stat whores. People don't realize that the US would have lost both games if it weren't for Montoya. Jeff Glass has let in half has many goals on half as many shots and no one is *****ing about the goaltending in Canada. (stat whores, where are you on this one?) Hell, where are all the "Schwarz is a bust" threads?

espo*

I don't think montoya is the main concern for U.S hockey boosters right now.....as fans of them their concern has to be with the play of the team as a whole......it's not panic time but they have'nt put it together yet,especially on defense........that just has to improve.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Hell, where are all the "Schwarz is a bust" threads?

exactly...with all the schwarz-love that goes on around these boards and all the talk about how he's the best goalie in last years draft...you think that maaaaaybe people would be complaining that his save % is worse than montoya's? but nooo... :dunno:

montoya had a lot to live up to after last year and there was really no question he WOULDN'T be able to do that. but as long as he wins...

NYIsles1*

He's been very shaky, let up at least four bad goals from bad angles and that's being kind. There were plays he did not cover his post where rebounds came out behind him and did not look confident by his movements or reactions. Those goals had nothing to do with the defense and they forced those shots to come from bad angles.

He has played the kind of goal where he should have been pulled.

What does it say about his future? Nothing. It's two games.

JR#9*

NYIsles1 said:
What does it say about his future? Nothing. It's two games.

I agree.

The kid is a 19 yr old goalie who isn't at the top of his game right now.

Look how Dipietro struggled and didn't quite live up to expectations after being selected 1st overall but after some seasoning he's started to fulfill his promise but not without some very rough spots while developing.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
People don't realize that the US would have lost both games if it weren't for Montoya.

That may be, but the games wouldnt have been so close if it werent for montoya. He didnt start playing in both games until he let Rus and Swit. tie it up. Montoya has had horrible starts, and above average finnishes. Nobody is saying he is a bust. OR that his stats are shakey. But its pretty obvious his play has been inconsistant and shakey. Everybody knew it would be hard for him to match last year, and nobody is writing him off. Heck he still could out preform last year. But if you had to point a finger at a disapointment for Team usa , Most people would quickly say montoya so far.so far

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'd point the finger at the US's defense first...even though he's been inconsistant, at least montoya has played well at times in this tourney. the defense has played like crap the entire time pretty much.

maybe that's not a dissapointment since most expected it to be shakey, but i expected more than this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad