Will Montoya **** The Bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leafaholix said:
Rabid, when 4 of your defensemen are gone and you don't have the greatest depth, it will appear weaker on paper. But that means nothing, we'll have to see how you guys do in the actual games.

My personal belief is that Montoya won't do as well this year because of the higher level of talent and weaker defense (on paper).

No offense, but I don't even see how much weaker the defense is on paper.

Suter - Still the same.
Likens - Still the same.
Hunwick - Still the same.
Lee - Relative unknown, really.
Borer - VERY defensively sound and solid with the puck, but gets little respect since he plays for a smaller school.
Goligoski - Should easily replace Richmond.
Hagemo - The "Wisniewski" of the group - a workhorse who hits like a tank and loves to.

The only real wildcard there would be Lee.

leafaholix*

Reveille said:
No offense, but I don't even see how much weaker the defense is on paper.

Suter - Still the same.
Likens - Still the same.
Hunwick - Still the same.
Lee - Relative unknown, really.
Borer - VERY defensively sound and solid with the puck, but gets little respect since he plays for a smaller school.
Goligoski - Should easily replace Richmond.
Hagemo - The "Wisniewski" of the group - a workhorse who hits like a tank and loves to.

The only real wildcard there would be Lee.
We'll have to wait and see.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Rabid, when 4 of your defensemen are gone and you don't have the greatest depth, it will appear weaker on paper. But that means nothing, we'll have to see how you guys do in the actual games.

My personal belief is that Montoya won't do as well this year because of the higher level of talent and weaker defense (on paper).

I disagree on the depth issue. The U.S. had plenty of quality defensemen to choose from, this just happens to be the group the U.S. brass felt was the best mix for the style of play that will be employed. If the U.S. brass felt that containing Canada's or Russia's big physical forwards through brute force was the way to go, then differant choices would have been made. SInce that's not the approach, differant players are being used. As you say, we'll see.

leafaholix*

Reveille said:
But you're also making unfounded claims. I mean, seriously. Tell me how they are so much worse off than they were last year?
I only saw 2 or 3 USA games, but one thing that'll hurt a load is the loss of Mark Stuart alone... as I said, we'll wait and see.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reveille said:
But you're also making unfounded claims. I mean, seriously. Tell me how they are so much worse off than they were last year?

I'll concede that, especially when compared to Canada the U.S. defense is a question mark, mainly because there are several new faces. That doesn't mean they can't perform well, and based on each player's performance this year, very well should.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
I only saw 2 or 3 USA games, but one thing that'll hurt a load is the loss of Mark Stuart alone... as I said, we'll wait and see.

I agree that losing Stuart hurts, he was a big part of the defense last year. All that means is someone (like Borer) is going to have to step up. We'll see.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I agree that losing Stuart hurts, he was a big part of the defense last year. All that means is someone (like Borer) is going to have to step up. We'll see.
That was my point... on paper, it looks much weaker.

It's losing your #1 or 2 guy.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Personally I don't believe Montoya will play as well as last year, simply because IMHO he overachieved back then. Stat-wise he's not playing that well this year so his ability to raise the game for WJCs is questionable.

Also many times goalies have tanked it the next year after great tournament (Lehtonen, MAF for example)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
Personally I don't believe Montoya will play as well as last year, simply because IMHO he overachieved back then. Stat-wise he's not playing that well this year so his ability to raise the game for WJCs is questionable.

Also many times goalies have tanked it the next year after great tournament (Lehtonen, MAF for example)

Slippery slope logic. Michigan has a run and gun team which scores a ton of goals. The defense is merely adequete. Montoya sees alot of odd-man rushes, yet when called upon he makes the saves needed for his team to get the almighty "W." He does raise his game to another level when the situation calls for it, and IMO he'll do the same in this year's WJC's. As for Fleury "tanking it", that's overstating it isn't it? He wasn't as dynamic as the year before, but he had great stats (including his save %) and was one period away from a gold medal.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Slippery slope logic. Michigan has a run and gun team which scores a ton of goals. The defense is merely adequete. Montoya sees alot of odd-man rushes, yet when called upon he makes the saves needed for his team to get the almighty "W." He does raise his game to another level when the situation calls for it, and IMO he'll do the same in this year's WJC's. As for Fleury "tanking it", that's overstating it isn't it? He wasn't as dynamic as the year before, but he had great stats (including his save %) and was one period away from a gold medal.

Well the general consensus is that U.S won the game because of goaltending, Montoya stood on his head while MAF let in couple of softies.

It's hard to predict but I just have this feeling that Montoya won't be as good this year. Chances are that I'm wrong and I'll be the first to admit it.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Pepper said:
Well the general consensus is that U.S won the game because of goaltending, Montoya stood on his head while MAF let in couple of softies.

It's hard to predict but I just have this feeling that Montoya won't be as good this year. Chances are that I'm wrong and I'll be the first to admit it.

Well, with all this talk it may not even matter. Canada and the USA are in different pools and there is a good chance they won't even meet at the tourney. If they do it will probably be in the semi's or the final. The USA is in a weaker pool and they should finish top 2 in their pool no problem.

Reilly311

Pepper said:

:speechles .

Montoya didn't play great in the gold medal game. He made some key saves and kept his team in it. If I were you, I'd be more concered about how Canada has played in the last 3 years in the 3rd period.

espo*

I am,i want us to be razor sharp in those crucial time frames this year and with Sutter aboard i think we will be.Montoya's performance is secondary to me,he's not a brick wall and can be beat,it's our mental game that i want straightened out and it will be.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Reilly311 said:
:speechles .

Montoya didn't play great in the gold medal game. He made some key saves and kept his team in it. If I were you, I'd be more concered about how Canada has played in the last 3 years in the 3rd period.

Considering I'm not from Canada nor a fan of team Canada, I don't think I'm going to be too worried.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
Well, his numbers are sure a hell of a lot better than Montoya this year in the NCAA, so maybe he should get the starts?

No offense, but that perspective shows a distinct lack of understanding of both goaltender's role this year and their overall ability.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
No offense, but that perspective shows a distinct lack of understanding of both goaltender's role this year and their overall ability.

No offense but you still keep showing absolutely no respect to any opinion differing from yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad