Will Montoya **** The Bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

Well, will he? I gotta know, you know, for my pool. Personally, I went for him too late last year and not only regretted it but lost because of it. But for anyone who's seen Schneider [is he even the backup?] play a bit or a lot, does he have a shot at a couple games?
Thanks ahead of time.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
chicpea said:
Well, will he? I gotta know, you know, for my pool. Personally, I went for him too late last year and not only regretted it but lost because of it. But for anyone who's seen Schneider [is he even the backup?] play a bit or a lot, does he have a shot at a couple games?
Thanks ahead of time.
I think Montoya will have a horrible toruney. With the poor defense that USA has selected I feel with the excess pressure that Montoya will have on his shoulders to lead Team USA will get to him.

leafaholix*

I don't think he'll do nearly as good as last season.

Btw chicpea, is there a site to sign up for the pool?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
I think Montoya will have a horrible toruney. With the poor defense that USA has selected I feel with the excess pressure that Montoya will have on his shoulders to lead Team USA will get to him.

The ability to skate and pass the puck out of the zone will result in excess pressure on Montoya? News to me. Do you know anything about the U.S. defense, or are you just going by what you've heard?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
I expect Montoya to be fine.

I think he will have a very good tournament.

Montoya is a goaltender that gets up for big games. He's kind of sleep-walked through the season so far with Michigan, but he makes the saves he has to to ensure his team gets the victory.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
chicpea said:
Thanks ahead of time.

Schneider is the back-up, and unless Montoya falls apart, he likely won't see much action. If he does, it will be against a lesser opponent, such as Belarus.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Rabid Ranger said:
The ability to skate and pass the puck out of the zone will result in excess pressure on Montoya? News to me. Do you know anything about the U.S. defense, or are you just going by what you've heard?
Goligoski - Small but smart offensive defensmen. Not physical at all.
Likens - Small offensive defensmen. Not overly physical
Sutter - Great allround defensmen, plays physical.
Hagemo - Really small defensmen with small frame, not physical but great defensivly.
Borer - A big physical defensmen, good puck mover.
Lee - Know nothing about

From the looks of this, USA will get man handled down low by the big forwards from Russia and Canada. A couple are good defensivly but in general they are a weak crew. All are good puckmovers. Montoya with the extra pressure will not do well. Last years team was physical and could clear in front giving Montoya a chance to see the puck, he won't be seeing much this year.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
I don't think Montoya will score on himself, if that's what you mean.

I'm not confident he'll play as well as he played last year, but I think he'll be good enough.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ceber said:
I don't think Montoya will score on himself, if that's what you mean.

I'm not confident he'll play as well as he played last year, but I think he'll be good enough.
What do you mean by good enough? In order for USA to win I feel he has to play amazing hockey, probably better then last year by a good margin.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
JasonMacIsaac said:
What do you mean by good enough? In order for USA to win I feel he has to play amazing hockey, probably better then last year by a good margin.

I mean good enough. From your previous post I think you're going to be surprised by the ability of the US defense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
Goligoski - Small but smart offensive defensmen. Not physical at all.
Likens - Small offensive defensmen. Not overly physical
Sutter - Great allround defensmen, plays physical.
Hagemo - Really small defensmen with small frame, not physical but great defensivly.
Borer - A big physical defensmen, good puck mover.
Lee - Know nothing about

From the looks of this, USA will get man handled down low by the big forwards from Russia and Canada. A couple are good defensivly but in general they are a weak crew. All are good puckmovers. Montoya with the extra pressure will not do well. Last years team was physical and could clear in front giving Montoya a chance to see the puck, he won't be seeing much this year.

You mean like last year? The U.S. had a very similar, puck moving, fast skating, finesse oriented defense, and we won the gold. As for your notes on the individual players, fair descriptions I guess, although Hagemo is solidly built and hits like a tank.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ceber said:
I mean good enough. From your previous post I think you're going to be surprised by the ability of the US defense.
I doubt it, Canada tried that approach two years ago and it failed. They got man handled down low by the russians in the final game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:

You mean a 1.000 save percentage?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
I doubt it, Canada tried that approach two years ago and it failed. They got man handled down low by the russians in the final game.

Here's the U.S. defense last year:

Suter
Stuart
Richmond
Likens
Hunwick
Potter
Wisniewski
Carle

Here's the U.S. defense this year:

Suter
Likens
Hunwick
Lee
Borer
Goligoski
Hagemo

I don't see a huge differance. Instead of Stuart, there's Borer. The rest of the line-up is built the same. Finesse oriented puck movers.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Rabid Ranger said:
You mean like last year? The U.S. had a very similar, puck moving, fast skating, finesse oriented defense, and we won the gold. As for your notes on the individual players, fair descriptions I guess, although Hagemo is solidly built and hits like a tank.
Wisniewski - A bull
Stuart - A tank tearing down everything in his way.
Suter - Allround player, physical pressence
Potter - A big man who is physical but slow

that is by far enough size and strength to handle a bigger team.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Here's the U.S. defense last year:

Suter
Stuart
Richmond
Likens
Hunwick
Potter
Wisniewski
Carle

Here's the U.S. defense this year:

Suter
Likens
Hunwick
Lee
Borer
Goligoski
Hagemo

I don't see a huge differance. Instead of Stuart, there's Borer. The rest of the line-up is built the same. Finesse oriented puck movers.
On paper it's a much weaker defense. Take into consideration there are a few forwards in the WJC that would've been in the NHL... so that'll hurt Montoya.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leafaholix said:
On paper it's a much weaker defense. Take into consideration there are a few forwards in the WJC that would've been in the NHL... so that'll hurt Montoya.

Man, MUCH weaker? Are you kidding me? Maybe a TAD weaker, but much? No way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:

How is it much weaker? I'm not sure how your second point is relevant. Who are you talking about exactly, Bergeron? Ovechkin?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
Wisniewski - A bull
Stuart - A tank tearing down everything in his way.
Suter - Allround player, physical pressence
Potter - A big man who is physical but slow

that is by far enough size and strength to handle a bigger team.

You're missing the point. The U.S. didn't rely on that approach last year, and they won't do it this year. It's a finesse oriented, puck moving defense. That's the approach that brought the U.S. gold last year, and will have to be executed the same way to be successful this year. You're also underestimating the physicality of a player like Nate Hagemo, who while short, is built like a tank and hits the same way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
How is it much weaker? I'm not sure how your second point, who are you talking about exactly, Bergeron? Ovechkin?

The USA gets no love. What do we have to do? Win it again? 3 times more?

Oh, I forgot. The teams we play lose the games. We don't win them.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reveille said:
The USA gets no love. What do we have to do? Win it again? 3 times more?

Oh, I forgot. The teams we play lose the games. We don't win them.

It's hilarious. All of a sudden Montoya is going to tank it, and the same defensive approach the U.S. last year to great success will suck rocks this year. Whatever. We'll see when the puck is dropped.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
It's hilarious. All of a sudden Montoya is going to tank it, and the same defensive approach the U.S. last year to great success will suck rocks this year. Whatever. We'll see when the puck is dropped.

Exactly. If they suck, they suck. But I'm not going to be complaining and blaming the approach. I'll just blame them for not taking Jack Johnson :p:

If they win, they win. Here's hoping they do.

leafaholix*

Rabid, when 4 of your defensemen are gone and you don't have the greatest depth, it will appear weaker on paper. But that means nothing, we'll have to see how you guys do in the actual games.

My personal belief is that Montoya won't do as well this year because of the higher level of talent and weaker defense (on paper).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->