Will McDavid reach 100 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
well hes at 81 points and still another period left, he has 4 points tonight ... 10 games left and 19 points needed

Now on pace for 98.6 points in 56 games. He might actually pull this one off.

Best player in the league and it’s not even close to being close. Best goal scorer, too, but he passes up opportunities.

Reactions: Narwian

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
His 10 remaining games are

1 vs Winnipeg who he feasts on
2 vs crappy Flames
2 vs crappy Habs
5 vs the covid canucks who look exhausted all game.

I think he does it.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
McDavid is basically an automatic 1+1 a night player, and sprinkle in a 3-4 point night to make up for the handful of games he doesn’t score a point.

To be fair this is all Gretzky was too. Against most teams he would look pretty pedestrian, maybe get 1 or 2 points, nothing fancy. Back then every good player had the same level of point production, though Gretzky's was very consistent -- he would ALWAYS get 1 or 2 points every night, never had a significant slump and it was rare he would get blanked on the scoresheet at all. He still has the NHL record for consecutive points at 51 games. That's 2/3 of the entire season.

But every so often, like one 1 out of every 8 games, Edmonton would run up the score on a bottom dwelling team and Gretzky would have a 5 or 6 point night. Just monster stat padding. It was these games that pulled him away from the rest of the field, and gave him the gaudy numbers that we still look at in record books today.

Tonight McDavid is having one of those games.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
To be fair this is all Gretzky was too. Against most teams he would look pretty pedestrian, maybe get 1 or 2 points, nothing fancy. Back then every good player had the same level of point production, though Gretzky's was very consistent -- he would ALWAYS get 1 or 2 points every night, never had a significant slump and it was rare he would get blanked on the scoresheet at all. He still has the NHL record for consecutive points at 51 games. That's 2/3 of the entire season.

But every so often, like one 1 out of every 8 games, Edmonton would run up the score on a bottom dwelling team and Gretzky would have a 5 or 6 point night. Just monster stat padding. It was these games that pulled him away from the rest of the field, and gave him the gaudy numbers that we still look at in record books today.

Tonight McDavid is having one of those games.
He also had 153 points in those 51 games.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
It will be close. It depends on how they do vs the Canucks ultimately.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
His 10 remaining games are

1 vs Winnipeg who he feasts on
2 vs crappy Flames
2 vs crappy Habs
5 vs the covid canucks who look exhausted all game.

I think he does it.
I hadn't realized this was their schedule.

Yeah, he might actually do it. It's possible, anyway.

The team he struggles with here is Montreal. But I think the Oilers' motivation to finally sort them out is getting higher. (The one recent Covid-make-up game was a total no-show by Edmonton, who clearly didn't want to be there.) Still, I can't expect McDavid to get more than 1 or 2 points in the two Montreal games.

Even if we say "2", that will means he'd need 17 points in the other 8 games, or just over two per game.

So, it's possible, but kind of unlikely.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I hadn't realized this was their schedule.

Yeah, he might actually do it. It's possible, anyway.

The team he struggles with here is Montreal. But I think the Oilers' motivation to finally sort them out is getting higher. (The one recent Covid-make-up game was a total no-show by Edmonton, who clearly didn't want to be there.) Still, I can't expect McDavid to get more than 1 or 2 points in the two Montreal games.

Even if we say "2", that will means he'd need 17 points in the other 8 games, or just over two per game.

So, it's possible, but kind of unlikely.

You do realize McDavid just had back-to-back 3 point games on them?

Reactions: iCanada

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's going to do it and I actually think he hits 101 guys just having fun. He's on a mission and first in the division is it. The 100 points will just come in that chase for number 1.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I watched Gretzky in the WHA and NHL and McDavid is the next closest thing to him.

I think McDavid lacks the "pile on" instincts that Gretzky had. He almost seemed embarrassed after his hat trick goal-which was world class. I hope that he gains that desire to rub it in. He should win the Ross Trophy every year for the next 5 or so years.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I watched Gretzky in the WHA and NHL and McDavid is the next closest thing to him.

I think McDavid lacks the "pile on" instincts that Gretzky had. He almost seemed embarrassed after his hat trick goal-which was world class. I hope that he gains that desire to rub it in. He should win the Ross Trophy every year for the next 5 or so years.
Better than Lemieux?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Yeah Gretzky actually lectured McDavid about not shooting in empty net situations to rack up more goals, Gretzky would gun to score and even cherry pick on empty nets, lol.

Reactions: RattsSSV

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017

I don't think utterly embarassing and running up the score against a team you are 90% likely to face in the first round of the playoffs would be a smart idea though. Don't give them something to rally around. He always takes his foot off the gas in third period blowouts.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It's hilarious because one division has New Jersey/Buffalo in it the bottom 2 teams in the league but somehow the North is the weak division.

I'm admittedly just repeating what others have said, but I'm not arguing the north is a weak division overall - just that it's a high-scoring division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->