Will Mark Giordano make the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Is Giordano a hall of famer?

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He should not based on precedents beside Lowe and a few weaker guys right now. If he can bounce back and have another strong couple of years than I think he would be a fair option. If he gets another top 10 Norris placements he should have 600+ points. At that point he would be better than neidermayer most likley and would be a fair induction

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He should not based on precedents beside Lowe and a few weaker guys right now. If he can bounce back and have another strong couple of years than I think he would be a fair option. If he gets another top 10 Norris placements he should have 600+ points. At that point he would be better than neidermayer most likley and would be a fair induction
Wait what?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think so. He's been a high level defenseman since 13-14, but outside of his Norris win hasn't really been considered in that truly elite top 5 in the league level that I think he would need to get in on what is likely going to be a shorter prime due to his late breakout. I think he would be good enough to get in if he had a really long prime or had a high level of playoff success, but unless Calgary turns it on and/or he ages extremely well, those are unlikely. I know the Lowe induction is bad and Giordano is a clearly better player, but he's a special case who got in based on his cups and likely his friendships as well.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He would have 6 top 10 finishes including a 1st place same as neidermayer. Would have a great ppg as well for a defenseman

Top 10s are not all the same. Niedermayer finished runner up twice (to Lidstrom). Giordano has never been higher than 6th outside of his Norris. Niedermayer also has a much, much better playoff career, including a Conn Smythe, and quite a few more seasons as a good, but not great player outside of his best.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He would have 6 top 10 finishes including a 1st place same as neidermayer. Would have a great ppg as well for a defenseman
838 total points, 4x Cup Champion, 1 Conn Smythe, and 1 Norris Trophy, not to mention junior and international success vs possibly 600 points, 1 Norris Trophy, and 13 career playoff games

There's no comparison between these two players, and that's not a criticism of Giordano.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I recently posted this in another thread - there are some definite parallels between Randy Carlyle and Mark Giordano.

Usually when a player wins the Norris trophy, they also have a number of close calls, even if they never actually win again (ie Chris Pronger, Red Kelly, Scott Niedermayer, Zdeno Chara - also true for recent winners like Victor Hedman, Brent Burns, Drew Doughty, etc).

The problem with Mark Giordano is he never came anywhere close to contending for the Norris trophy again. He finished a distant 6th in 2015 (though he almost certainly would have been higher if not for his injury), 8th in 2017, and that's been it. Similarly, Randy Carlyle won a Norris trophy (which he probably didn't deserve) and never again came close to contending.

Both players have pretty thin playoff resumes. Not that it's his fault, but Giordano has won a total of one playoff game in his 14 year career. That makes Carlyle look like Denis Potvin in comparison - but Carlyle also has a relatively weak playoff resume (again, not that it's entirely his fault, but he never made it out of the second round, except as a rookie when he missed a number of games).

Neither player has overwhelming career totals (we know - from recent inductions of Housley, Ciccarelli, Andreychuk, etc - that the Hall likes "compilers").

So, there are clear parallels between Randy Carlyle and Mark Giordano - and I'd wager that neither of them make the Hall.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not with his current resume no. As far as I'm aware his career isn't over just yet though. Needs some playoff success to really be considered.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I recently posted this in another thread - there are some definite parallels between Randy Carlyle and Mark Giordano.

Usually when a player wins the Norris trophy, they also have a number of close calls, even if they never actually win again (ie Chris Pronger, Red Kelly, Scott Niedermayer, Zdeno Chara - also true for recent winners like Victor Hedman, Brent Burns, Drew Doughty, etc).

The problem with Mark Giordano is he never came anywhere close to contending for the Norris trophy again. He finished a distant 6th in 2015 (though he almost certainly would have been higher if not for his injury), 8th in 2017, and that's been it. Similarly, Randy Carlyle won a Norris trophy (which he probably didn't deserve) and never again came close to contending.

Both players have pretty thin playoff resumes. Not that it's his fault, but Giordano has won a total of one playoff game in his 14 year career. That makes Carlyle look like Denis Potvin in comparison - but Carlyle also has a relatively weak playoff resume (again, not that it's entirely his fault, but he never made it out of the second round, except as a rookie when he missed a number of games).

Neither player has overwhelming career totals (we know - from recent inductions of Housley, Ciccarelli, Andreychuk, etc - that the Hall likes "compilers").

So, there are clear parallels between Randy Carlyle and Mark Giordano - and I'd wager that neither of them make the Hall.

I think it’s worth noting that Giordano was the front runner for the Norris in 2015 before his injury.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My initial thought is no, but I mean they did just let Kevin Lowe in, and I’d say Gio is better than him.

He just didn’t have the luxury of playing on a stacked team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad