Will Marian Hossa make the hall of fame?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Yes he's in surprised how anybody says no considering 500 plus goals 1100 plus points and over 200 playoff games and 3 Cups. Sure he didn't win any individual trophy but many HOF didn't either.

Reactions: WingsFan95

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
He will but he shouldn't. Not that he will be the worst induction either.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Since the HOF now let's in any decent player who managed to stick around for 20 years, pile up points and were fan favourites on big market teams (Recchi, Sundin, etc) even though they barely had any top 10 finishes & no hardware, then yeah likely he makes it.

Reactions: WingsFan95

paragon

May 5, 2010
Since the HOF now let's in any decent player who managed to stick around for 20 years, pile up points and were fan favourites on big market teams (Recchi, Sundin, etc) even though they barely had any top 10 finishes & no hardware, then yeah likely he makes it.
Considering HOF let's in women and players who never played in the NHL, I don't think it's wrong to let in stat compilers. Having consistency and longevity is also an accomplishment in my opinion.

Reactions: TychoFan

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I love that this thread went from arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time to somehow about elite 2c Toews and whether or not he'll be in the Hall of Fame.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Considering HOF let's in women and players who never played in the NHL, I don't think it's wrong to let in stat compilers. Having consistency and longevity is also an accomplishment in my opinion.

Shouldn't be in the same building as guys with multiple Art Ross trophies, multiple Vezinas, etc.

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
Shouldn't be in the same building as guys with multiple Art Ross trophies, multiple Vezinas, etc.
ok, in 20 years only lemieux gretzky and jagr won art ros, ok only this 3 people shold be in I dont understand this trophy system at all first it is politics, ok art ros is not but the other trophys like selke lady byng etc. Are. Can you tell me how coul d it happend that hossa with plu 245 has zero selke ? Only comparable forward from his era is dacjuk with plus 247 the great defender bergeron with several selke is far far behind hossa

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
There was a goalie in washington in 1995 ? Hwo had one great (not kolzig) season, won vezina ? He should be in hall of fame ? Because he had one great season ? The rest of his career was a pieco of shit. I think players who are great long term should be honored

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
It's comical that this is even in discussion. He was one of the top offensive players of his generation and one of the top defensive forwards of his generation

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
Other example is ovechkin. Yes he is a great player. But he had one season when he was minus 40 ? Ok he scored 50 goals but when he was on ice the team was losing games. Do I need a player with minus 40? But from the trophy perspective this is great guy - he scored the most goals in a season and won a trophy. Great. But as a coach/owner I like to have Ovechkin not playng defense, losing games but scoring 50 goals and winning trophy or I want Hossa scoring 30 goals, plus 35 on ice and winning games ?

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Other example is ovechkin. Yes he is a great player. But he had one season when he was minus 40 ? Ok he scored 50 goals but when he was on ice the team was losing games. Do I need a player with minus 40? But from the trophy perspective this is great guy - he scored the most goals in a season and won a trophy. Great. But as a coach/owner I like to have Ovechkin not playng defense, losing games but scoring 50 goals and winning trophy or I want Hossa scoring 30 goals, plus 35 on ice and winning games ?
What

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Lol what? You're using plus minus, really? :laugh: Thw guy is the best goal scorer of all time and I'm not sure where you were going with this post.

Also you're using his one bad plus minus season. What about his plus 45 season (he was also -35 not -40). He was also only a minus player 3 years in his career. I hate using plus minus but since you want to use it against him..

I'm also really unsure why you even brought him up.

Last edited:

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
Sundin was also above PPG. I don't disagree Hossa should be in, but I don't think his career has been much better.

Hossa was the best forward on all 3 Hawk Cup winning teams. Sundin isn't even in the same ballpark as him. It's clear reading this thread that 99% of the people posting in this thread didn't watch him play in person. 75% of Hossa's production wasn't caught on camera - it was getting in passing lanes to prevent breakouts, clearing defensive responsibilities for Toews, Sharp, Saad, etc.

How many players that are HOFers on offensive numbers were also elite penalty killers?

Last edited:

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Hossa was the best forward on all 3 Hawk Cup winning teams. Sundin isn't even in the same ballpark as him
He wasn't even the best forward on any of those years but okay. Sundin was also an international beast and paved the way for a lot of European players.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Well it's not the NHL hall of fame so I dont know what the real motivation or direction of this post is saying.

But quality international play matters for that as well.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Hossa will get in. He's hit the markers that will get him the nomination. The only reason a player of his stature doesn't get in is usually because he was not liked or was considered a trouble maker by the league.

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
Lol what? You're using plus minus, really? :laugh: Thw guy is the best goal scorer of all time and I'm not sure where you were going with this post.

Also you're using his one bad plus minus season. What about his plus 45 season (he was also -35 not -40). He was also only a minus player 3 years in his career. I hate using plus minus but since you want to use it against him..

I'm also really unsure why you even brought him up.
I wanted to say that winning a individual trophy is not the most important factor whitch should be used by considering a quality of a player, for me scoring most goals in a season combined with minus 40 or minus 35 is not a good season for a player also considering the fact that he was on a good team, not on a bad team whitch is losing games regularly and has no chance to make play offs.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I wanted to say that winning a individual trophy is not the most important factor whitch should be used by considering a quality of a player, for me scoring most goals in a season combined with minus 40 or minus 35 is not a good season for a player also considering the fact that he was on a good team, not on a bad team whitch is losing games regularly and has no chance to make play offs.
Well I'm here to tell you plus minus is an absolute terrible stat to use. Winning the Rocket is a good season even if he was a minus because that is a terrible stat to use.

2 seasons later he was a plus 21. Did he suddenly learn defence? He was -19 before and plus 28 the next year. Also over half of those goals were PPG which don't count toward plus minus.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad