Will Marian Hossa make the hall of fame?

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
Ok for me it is more about the recognition than hall of fame. I am sick to hear that the core of the hawks team who wonn the cups are Toews, Kane, Kieth and Seabrook. For me Hossa is better player then all those 4. Do you think that it was just luck that Hossa was 5 times in the finals ? The only reason is he signed with a good team ? Do you think the hawks will be able to win the cup without Hossa ? You can ask Joel Quenville, Stan Bowman, hawks players, you will get the same answer: NO.

To the selke issue Hossa ranks 38. In plus/minus all time in regular season with plu 245. The only comparable player is Dacjuk ranked 37. With plus 248. All the other players from his era are not even close. The nearest is Toews with plus 197 but only due to the fact that he played with Hossa in the same line, last. Seasons without Hossa dont look so good for Toews (plu 7 and minus 1). Other bes defeders are far far away from Hossa Zetterberg 162. Bergeron 159 Kopitar 92 Sedins 165/147.

Those are numbers. Numbers don t lie

Hossa ranks 35. All time in scoring in regular, more goals from players of his era have only Ovechkin and Marleau, all the higher ranked players are mostly from the 80 - s

Hossa ranks 30. In points in the play off all time with 149 points just one point behind his countryman Stan Mikita. The only players of his era with more points Crosby and Malkin.

In 2015 in play offs Hossa played with a back injury, he could not feel one leg, he skatet one leg. Queneville ask him to play he sad that he on one leg is still better than most obf the hawks.

I know that because I played basketball 6 operation on legs, and I have the same terapist who cared about Hossa.

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
And I am courios what this super core of blackhawks Toews Kane Kieth Seabrook will achieve in the future without Hossa, how many stanley cups they will winn

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
To me no.

He has no individual hardware, and never came particularly close to any of them either (his highest finish in anything was 5th for a Selke...)

In terms of point finishes he was only ever twice in the top 10, finishing 5th in '03 and 6th in '07

He has three cups and he was a quality piece on those runs, but he was at best the 4th or 5th most valuable cog.

He was a good player, but his stats are more cumulative than of dominance in any particular aspect or time frame. The argument that worse players made it in doesn't make a case with me, we should be moving the bar up, not continually lowering the floor. Nobody is going to sit their kid down one day and tell them epic tales of when they got to watch Marian Hossa play hockey

There are far worse players in the Hall of Fame, so it's tough to really argue Hossa's induction would be "lowering the floor."

I'm certainly glad the committee doesnt induct based on what fans are telling their kids....

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Hossa was a much better player than Dave Andreychuk ever was.

You really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this, eh?

It could be a considered a figure of speech --> Hossa was an excellent defensive player, you would think he would have won a Selke at some point.

Also, defensive play is difficult to measure and the criteria voters look at in regards to awarding the Selke are a complete mystery. So it's entirely possible, even probable, that if we could define a reliable system for determining the actual best defensive forward... we'd probably find out the voters got it slightly wrong most seasons.

It was a fraudulent contract the circumvent the cap. He retired as scheduled when it was most convenient to protect the team from cap recapture penalties, just like everybody else with cap circumvention contracts did.

I don't see it at all. How so?

Suspicious timing? Sure. Suspicious does not automatically = fraudulent. I literally just outlined how the hawks got no benefit from Hossa retiring that you just convienetly cut out of this quote and ignored. Him retiring protected the team from nothing because they would have loved him back at his cap hit after he retired. He scored 26 goals in 73 games and was playing terrific defense. He was worth every penny of his cap hit still. It was not convient for the Blackhawks at all. It actually really hurt.

Reactions: fivesberg

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I think he gets in foresure. 500 goals should make anyone a lock in my opinion especially the era he played in. Yah no individual awards but it’s pretty hard to win them. Probably could have won a selke or two. But yah he gets in 100%

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Suspicious timing? Sure. Suspicious does not automatically = fraudulent. I literally just outlined how the hawks got no benefit from Hossa retiring that you just convienetly cut out of this quote and ignored. Him retiring protected the team from nothing because they would have loved him back at his cap hit after he retired. He scored 26 goals in 73 games and was playing terrific defense. He was worth every penny of his cap hit still. It was not convient for the Blackhawks at all. It actually really hurt.

Hossa was retiring, period. It had nothing to do with whether the Hawks wanted him to play.
He was retiring. He was never going to play for $1M. The Hawks mitigated the damage by claiming a career ending injury like every other team with a cap circumventing contract did.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
He should get in. There's sort of a glut of players in Hossa's range of quality as a player who aren't in and it is getting larger. It'll depend on when he is considered retired and who is on the ballot and the vagaries of the voting committee to determine when. Amongst retired players Turgeon, Alfredsson, Jagr, Roenick, Iginla, Richards, Tkachuk, Sedins, Elias, Zetterberg, Naslund, Datsyuk all have decent HOF cases as forwards, obviously some more than others. And adding in Thornton, Marleau, Staal, Spezza, Getzlaf who are inching towards retirement and that's a lot of forwards to sort through.

My Best-Carey

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I’m shocked at the volume of posters who have so much knowledge of how Hossa could’ve played through his skin condition. The other GMs really could’ve used your help with enforcing a repcapture penalty. It’s too bad that cheater got away with it!

As for his career, he deserves to be in the hall, but I doubt he’ll make it first ballot.
Maybe the fact that he was able to play through his disability for all those years is a testament to his tenacity. He’s a hero to all people who are allergic to hockey equipment.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Considering the way he ended his career he should not be in HOF. Him and Chicago cheated and got away with it, allergy or not.

Lol please.

You don't think he league looks into these things, especially what happened to him? I guarantee a few teams complained, like they did with the Leafs/Lupul.

He would have Selkes if the award wasn't like automatically given to centers over the last X decades.

Slam dunk for me. People who watched him during Chicago's run know how important and effective he was all over the ice, an absolute horse. One of those rare players that had like no weakness.

Lehtinen and Dirk Graham being the only wingers in the last 30 years to win it. Craig Ramsay and Bob Gainey (the reason they made the award) are the only other wingers to win it. Crazy.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think "the way he went out" will affect him getting in 1st ballot.

By jumping to the WHA, Bobby Hull pissed off not only the NHL, but the old boys club (all former/current NHL players, broadcasters. execs etc) that runs the HHOF and he made it in first ballot. Yes he was one of the all time greats but still.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I don't think "the way he went out" will affect him getting in 1st ballot.

By jumping to the WHA, Bobby Hull pissed off not only the NHL, but the old boys club (all former/current NHL players, broadcasters. execs etc) that runs the HHOF and he made it in first ballot. Yes he was one of the all time greats but still.
Completely unrelated, but you mentioned Bobby Hull. Not only did he piss off the nhl, but he was also a supporter of nazism. But he did score a lot.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He has the numbers and championships. He was no compiler either, he’s been one of the top wingers in the league for a majority of his career while being an elite defensive player.

What he lacks in individual hardware he more than makes up for with his play and overall numbers. He’s been a very underrated player in terms of his production and play in his own end.
There are far worse players in the Hall of Fame, so it's tough to really argue Hossa's induction would be "lowering the floor."

I'm certainly glad the committee doesnt induct based on what fans are telling their kids....
Hossa isn’t a pity case. He’s not going to get inducted because there are far worst off players already in the Hall. He’s very deserving.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW

Not really. There being worse players in the HOF isn't an argument in his favour, it just means the committee has error'd before.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
He has the numbers and championships. He was no compiler either, he’s been one of the top wingers in the league for a majority of his career while being an elite defensive player.

What he lacks in individual hardware he more than makes up for with his play and overall numbers. He’s been a very underrated player in terms of his production and play in his own end.

Hossa isn’t a pity case. He’s not going to get inducted because there are far worst off players already in the Hall. He’s very deserving.
I would respect no other HOFer less.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Yes. He is probably a second or third ballot guy, but how is this even a question? There are far, far worse players in the hall than Marian Hossa. He is one of the best wingers of his era for a long time, and has a winning pedigree and great numbers for this era. NO SHIT HE IS IN THE HALL WHY ASK?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Not really. There being worse players in the HOF isn't an argument in his favour, it just means the committee has error'd before.
Unless you think the mentality of the hof voters is gonna swiftly change within 2 Years its entirely an argument in Hossa's favor.

I dont really get the thinking he wont go in right away either. Hes not gonna get lost in a mix of great retired players his year. There's Ignla... and I not sure who else. Theres not a likelyhood they're gonna look back and skip Hossa to put boarderline guys theyve not voted in for years like JR or Turgeon.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
And I am courios what this super core of blackhawks Toews Kane Kieth Seabrook will achieve in the future without Hossa, how many stanley cups they will winn
No question in my mind that Hossa get's in the HOF.
And to reply to your little story ... Hossa was as integral to the three cups as Kane, Toews, Keith and Seabs. There was also a great supporting cast of supporting actors in the three runs. It is a team after all. But Hoss was integral .. no question. How many cups will these guys win without Hoss? Not really a fair question seeing as the miles put onto their bodies has taken it's toll ( see Seabs and to a lesser extent Keith ). They won their three cups .. probably there will be no more with this group.

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
No question in my mind that Hossa get's in the HOF.
And to reply to your little story ... Hossa was as integral to the three cups as Kane, Toews, Keith and Seabs. There was also a great supporting cast of supporting actors in the three runs. It is a team after all. But Hoss was integral .. no question. How many cups will these guys win without Hoss? Not really a fair question seeing as the miles put onto their bodies has taken it's toll ( see Seabs and to a lesser extent Keith ). They won their three cups .. probably there will be no more with this group.

I just was reading Gretzky s book "hockey stories" and some other aticles and in all of that was it about Kane Toews Kieth and Seabrook full stop. These guys were kids when Hossa came to Chicago, as Bowmen said Hossa brought the wining mentality there. Some veteran players like Peter Sykora said after the 2015 run that Hossa was the best player for Chicago despite not having the most points, but when he was on ice the game was in the offensive zone. It is not only about scoring. For me only Kane from those 4 has such a talent like Hossa who can alone break a game. Toews is mentally strong but not such a talented player but yes he is like Claude Lemieux or Bobby Holik but his numbers will never be great.

Reactions: Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->