Will Marian Hossa make the hall of fame?

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
He definitely should get in eventually, although I don’t see him as a first ballot guy.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I feel like you're taking two Selkes from Toews despite saying you're not taking anything from him.

Which is impressive, since Toews only has one Selke to take.

Though I don't think Hossa deserved it more than Toews. When you look at their WOWY numbers, Hossa’s numbers got a bigger jump playing with Toews vs not compared to Toews playing with Hossa vs not. Toews was a machine from 2010-2015. Everybody got better with him. Hell players on Team Canada were elevated playing beside him vs other centers (Nash 2010, Carter 2014).

Reactions: fivesberg

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
I’m shocked at the volume of posters who have so much knowledge of how Hossa could’ve played through his skin condition. The other GMs really could’ve used your help with enforcing a repcapture penalty. It’s too bad that cheater got away with it!

As for his career, he deserves to be in the hall, but I doubt he’ll make it first ballot.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
He certainly should, just as Andreychuk should. As usual, posters who say he doesn't belong in the Hall favor sharply peaked careers over longevity.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yes I think he makes it.

I'd argue he should have a selke, but they only give it to centers. One of my favorites.
Ugh this again. Go ahead and argue it.

Which year was he the best defensive forward in the league?

The Selke is not a blanket award for a very good career as a defensive forward. It is an award for the BEST defensive forward in that given year. Which year was he the best?

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
Ugh this again. Go ahead and argue it.

Which year was he the best defensive forward in the league?

The Selke is not a blanket award for a very good career as a defensive forward. It is an award for the BEST defensive forward in that given year. Which year was he the best?

I don’t disagree with you, but for arguments sake I’d say the 2013-2014 was his best in that respect, and he should’ve been up there in the voting. Either that or the following season. Again I don’t disagree with you, but these were his peak defensive seasons IMO

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I don’t disagree with you, but for arguments sake I’d say the 2013-2014 was his best in that respect, and he should’ve been up there in the voting. Either that or the following season. Again I don’t disagree with you, but these were his peak defensive seasons IMO
Which is basically another way of saying he should NOT have a Selke, which he doesn't.

And yet every time his name is brought up, someone inevitably says "he should have won a Selke!", but no, he should not have. Thank you, though, for being the first person who has ever responded to my challenge to the Hossa/Selke comments.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You don’t think it’s suspicious that the first year his actual earnings dropped two $1 million this issue flared up?

This was the definition of cap circumvention.

He will get it but it will take several years because of how he went out.
Because it’s suspicious to you that’s a reason to call him a scum bag? Hossa is a class act and one of the more respected guys around the league. He was also coming off 26 goals in 73 games while playing top notch defense. He wasn’t even CLOSE to a cap dump. The hawks would have killed to have Hossa at his 5.2 cap hit last year and the effect he had on this team has been felt. He’ll id take a risk on him returning right now after being away from the ice a year and a half at his old cap hit. He was still a really good player at the time. The hawks were done no favors by Hossa leaving hockey.

Also what your talking about is league and independent doctors falsifying medical records to defraud insurance companies out of hundreds of thousands of dollars which is a pretty huge accusation and a FELONY OFFENSE. I would imagine insurance companies also did their own investigations as they were on the hook 800k of his contract based on what the doctors said about hossa. That’s not something you’d just let go if you have legal discourse to fight it.

Even over the years it was well documented that Hossa just about never practiced with the hawks. A lot of the beat writers even called it “taking a hossa” when one of the veterans wasnt at practice. Later Q said it was because it was just one less time putting his equipment on because it caused him discomfort.

If you step back and look at the information rationally you’ll find that it’s more likely than not that he has a serious medical condition. However since you rushed to call him a scum bag right away without really evaluating the situation I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re not much of a rational thinker.

Last edited:

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Marian Hossa is the main reason that Jonathan Toews won couple Selke's. I'm not taking anything from Toews but Hossa should have the both Selke's.

Toews has ONE Selke, not a couple. What is your argument that Hossa should have won it? Please post actual stats.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
He would have Selkes if the award wasn't like automatically given to centers over the last X decades.

Slam dunk for me. People who watched him during Chicago's run know how important and effective he was all over the ice, an absolute horse. One of those rare players that had like no weakness.

Please tell me which year Hossa was the best defensive player in the league. Him not winning has nothing to do with his position, it has entirely to do with the fact that he was never the best defensive forward in a single calendar year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Did you read anything at all about the story or just listen to other hfboard users to make your opinion. The issue has been prevalent since his Ottawa days. Had he taken a stronger medication to fight it he would have been taxing on the body to the point his immune system would be compromised. No doctor would risk his career for this you clown lol.
But again, he somehow found the courage to keep playing until his salary dropped to $1 million. How does that not concern you???

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not the Hall of Very Good.

No.
It's not supposed to be the Hall of the Very Good but there are tons of guys in there who shouldn't be. It's so watered down.

Ideally, no I'd say he shouldn't. But given who's in there my guess is he probably makes it.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He certainly should, just as Andreychuk should. As usual, posters who say he doesn't belong in the Hall favor sharply peaked careers over longevity.

Hossa was a much better player than Dave Andreychuk ever was.

Which is basically another way of saying he should NOT have a Selke, which he doesn't.

And yet every time his name is brought up, someone inevitably says "he should have won a Selke!", but no, he should not have. Thank you, though, for being the first person who has ever responded to my challenge to the Hossa/Selke comments.

You really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this, eh?

It could be a considered a figure of speech --> Hossa was an excellent defensive player, you would think he would have won a Selke at some point.

Also, defensive play is difficult to measure and the criteria voters look at in regards to awarding the Selke are a complete mystery. So it's entirely possible, even probable, that if we could define a reliable system for determining the actual best defensive forward... we'd probably find out the voters got it slightly wrong most seasons.

If you step back and look at the information rationally you’ll find that it’s more likely than not that he has a serious medical condition. However since you rushed to call him a scum bag right away without really evaluating the situation I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re not much of a rational thinker.

It was a fraudulent contract the circumvent the cap. He retired as scheduled when it was most convenient to protect the team from cap recapture penalties, just like everybody else with cap circumvention contracts did.

He is similar to Marleau IMO.

I don't see it at all. How so?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The not first ballot comments confuse me of their thought process... it's not like it's some mlb voting where guys are held back or not voted by a couple people to make points.

If he doesnt make it his first year it'll be by others being voted instead, but who are these others? I'm not aware of much competition of who also stopped playing after 16-17 that will bump him out. Iginla also stopped... who else that would possibly make it so Hossa gets overlooked?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad