Will Marian Hossa make the hall of fame?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by cookiefest, Nov 15, 2017.

1. b1e9a8r5s

b1e9a8r5s Registered User

Yes I think he makes it.

I'd argue he should have a selke, but they only give it to centers. One of my favorites.

2. David Lunch

David Lunch Registered User

He definitely should get in eventually, although I don’t see him as a first ballot guy.

3. JaegerDice

JaegerDice Q Gonna Q

Which is impressive, since Toews only has one Selke to take.

Though I don't think Hossa deserved it more than Toews. When you look at their WOWY numbers, Hossa’s numbers got a bigger jump playing with Toews vs not compared to Toews playing with Hossa vs not. Toews was a machine from 2010-2015. Everybody got better with him. Hell players on Team Canada were elevated playing beside him vs other centers (Nash 2010, Carter 2014).

fivesberg likes this.
  4. Day Man

Day Man Fighter of the night man, champion of the sun

Sens fan and obviously huge hossa fan he will definitely get in but the way he ended his career doesnt sit well with me

Crazy Cizikas, Eisen and Kallio like this.
  5. baethoven

baethoven Registered User

I’m shocked at the volume of posters who have so much knowledge of how Hossa could’ve played through his skin condition. The other GMs really could’ve used your help with enforcing a repcapture penalty. It’s too bad that cheater got away with it!

As for his career, he deserves to be in the hall, but I doubt he’ll make it first ballot.

fivesberg and Voight like this.
  6. Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis Eternal Optimist

He certainly should, just as Andreychuk should. As usual, posters who say he doesn't belong in the Hall favor sharply peaked careers over longevity.

7. The Red Line

The Red Line Registered User

Ugh this again. Go ahead and argue it.

Which year was he the best defensive forward in the league?

The Selke is not a blanket award for a very good career as a defensive forward. It is an award for the BEST defensive forward in that given year. Which year was he the best?

8. baethoven

baethoven Registered User

I don’t disagree with you, but for arguments sake I’d say the 2013-2014 was his best in that respect, and he should’ve been up there in the voting. Either that or the following season. Again I don’t disagree with you, but these were his peak defensive seasons IMO

9. FunkySeeFunkyDo

FunkySeeFunkyDo Registered User

He will/he should and should be on the first ballot.

Not a good look for my fellow Pens fans to be aggrieved at him choosing not to stay with the Pens.

kanucks25 and Jtown like this.
  10. The Red Line

Which is basically another way of saying he should NOT have a Selke, which he doesn't.

And yet every time his name is brought up, someone inevitably says "he should have won a Selke!", but no, he should not have. Thank you, though, for being the first person who has ever responded to my challenge to the Hossa/Selke comments.

11. Rick C137

Rick C137 Registered User

Because it’s suspicious to you that’s a reason to call him a scum bag? Hossa is a class act and one of the more respected guys around the league. He was also coming off 26 goals in 73 games while playing top notch defense. He wasn’t even CLOSE to a cap dump. The hawks would have killed to have Hossa at his 5.2 cap hit last year and the effect he had on this team has been felt. He’ll id take a risk on him returning right now after being away from the ice a year and a half at his old cap hit. He was still a really good player at the time. The hawks were done no favors by Hossa leaving hockey.

Also what your talking about is league and independent doctors falsifying medical records to defraud insurance companies out of hundreds of thousands of dollars which is a pretty huge accusation and a FELONY OFFENSE. I would imagine insurance companies also did their own investigations as they were on the hook 800k of his contract based on what the doctors said about hossa. That’s not something you’d just let go if you have legal discourse to fight it.

Even over the years it was well documented that Hossa just about never practiced with the hawks. A lot of the beat writers even called it “taking a hossa” when one of the veterans wasnt at practice. Later Q said it was because it was just one less time putting his equipment on because it caused him discomfort.

If you step back and look at the information rationally you’ll find that it’s more likely than not that he has a serious medical condition. However since you rushed to call him a scum bag right away without really evaluating the situation I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re not much of a rational thinker.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  12. The Red Line

Toews has ONE Selke, not a couple. What is your argument that Hossa should have won it? Please post actual stats.

13. The Red Line

Please tell me which year Hossa was the best defensive player in the league. Him not winning has nothing to do with his position, it has entirely to do with the fact that he was never the best defensive forward in a single calendar year.

14. Pens x

Pens x Registered User

But again, he somehow found the courage to keep playing until his salary dropped to $1 million. How does that not concern you???

15. BeastoftheEast85

BeastoftheEast85 Registered User

He should make it. He is better than a number of players already in the HHOF.

kanucks25 likes this.
  16. Neutrinos

Neutrinos Registered User

I would think he makes it in

17. BHD

BHD Global Moderator

Maybe not a first ballot, but I can see him getting in at some point.

18. JeremyTB

JeremyTB Registered User

He is similar to Marleau IMO.

19. EdwardBlake

EdwardBlake This is all a joke.

I think it’ll take some time... some years before he does. But I think he will get in on a weaker year.

20. Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy RIP Fugu

It's not supposed to be the Hall of the Very Good but there are tons of guys in there who shouldn't be. It's so watered down.

Ideally, no I'd say he shouldn't. But given who's in there my guess is he probably makes it.

21. Jtown

Jtown Registered User

First ballot. Was the best two winger of his era.

22. Jtown

Jtown Registered User

Lol. Marleau has 30 more points than hossa in 300 more games.

fivesberg and kanucks25 like this.
  23. trentmccleary

trentmccleary Registered User

Home Page:
    Hossa was a much better player than Dave Andreychuk ever was.

You really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this, eh?

It could be a considered a figure of speech --> Hossa was an excellent defensive player, you would think he would have won a Selke at some point.

Also, defensive play is difficult to measure and the criteria voters look at in regards to awarding the Selke are a complete mystery. So it's entirely possible, even probable, that if we could define a reliable system for determining the actual best defensive forward... we'd probably find out the voters got it slightly wrong most seasons.

It was a fraudulent contract the circumvent the cap. He retired as scheduled when it was most convenient to protect the team from cap recapture penalties, just like everybody else with cap circumvention contracts did.

I don't see it at all. How so?

24. ClydeLee

ClydeLee Registered User

The not first ballot comments confuse me of their thought process... it's not like it's some mlb voting where guys are held back or not voted by a couple people to make points.

If he doesnt make it his first year it'll be by others being voted instead, but who are these others? I'm not aware of much competition of who also stopped playing after 16-17 that will bump him out. Iginla also stopped... who else that would possibly make it so Hossa gets overlooked?

25. CanadianPensFan1

CanadianPensFan1 Registered User

Hopefully he doesn't spread his rash around at the awards ceremony