Will Marian Hossa make the hall of fame?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He'll make it IMHO. Too bad he won't be able to be there for his own induction. Rumour has it that he's allergic to the red carpets.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Yes. 500 Goals, 1000 points, 3 Cups. Elite winger for over a decade. Made it to the finals 5 times. He’s definitely getting in.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I wouldn't vote him in myself, but it looks like he gets in from career value. Just wasn't outstanding enough.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
You're right, its not the "Hall of Very Good".... Its also not the "Hall of the elite of the elite"...

Hossa and Marleau have done things in their career very few have... that warrants HHOF IMO.

Uh, Marleau's not getting in. :laugh: Impressive longevity but not much else. Always a disappointment in the playoffs. No trophies and zero top ten finishes in pts. Looking at it all, he actually has a worse resume than I expected.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Uh, Marleau's not getting in. :laugh: Impressive longevity but not much else. Always a disappointment in the playoffs. No trophies and zero top ten finishes in pts. Looking at it all, he actually has a worse resume than I expected.

Why shold single season statistics indicate the quality of a career?? (Same arguments can be made for Hossa as he's never won any awards either...)

Disapointment in the playoffs?? You do know his playoff PPG average is VERY close to his season PPG average, right?

Not trying to derail this thread... but Hossa and Marleaus both have had very good HHOF deserving careers :nod:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I've looked at the top-15 scorers per decade (1-10) from 1921 to 2000. An average of 12 of them for each decade have been inducted into the HHOF. All 15 were inducted for 1981-1990. The minimum was 9/15 for 1971-1980.

1-15 from 2001-2010:
Thornton
Iginla
Alfredsson
Hossa
St. Louis
Lecavalier
Kovalchuk
Jagr
B. Richards
Heatley
Kovalev
Naslund
Datsyuk
M. Savard
Elias

Expect at least 9 of these players to be inducted into the HHOF. Can you reasonably induct 9 of them without Marian Hossa? ... No, he will certainly be enshrined.

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
To me no.

He has no individual hardware, and never came particularly close to any of them either (his highest finish in anything was 5th for a Selke...)

In terms of point finishes he was only ever twice in the top 10, finishing 5th in '03 and 6th in '07

He has three cups and he was a quality piece on those runs, but he was at best the 4th or 5th most valuable cog.

He was a good player, but his stats are more cumulative than of dominance in any particular aspect or time frame. The argument that worse players made it in doesn't make a case with me, we should be moving the bar up, not continually lowering the floor. Nobody is going to sit their kid down one day and tell them epic tales of when they got to watch Marian Hossa play hockey
Without Hossa there will be zero stanley cups in Chicago. Everibody says that Toews Kane Kieth Seabrook won the cups. All those players are still in Chicago and they havent seen the playoffs last year and probably this year either. You can see that more important for winning was Hossa and Crawford. Hossa is plus 245 in plus/minus Only Dacjuk And Chara have simmilar plus minus statistics, Crosby is plus 184 and the "great canadian defender" Patrice Bergeron who got plenty selke trophys is plus 159. If Hossa would be Canadian or center or center/canadian he would get at least 4 - 5 selke trophies. Trophies is politics. Yes Hossa had one weaknes he had zero PR, he just made his job and won the games. He did not care about trophies and PR. Taking into account Hossas numbers with the defence he played in the era he played there is no question he belongs to the hall of fame. And I like watching him play hockey.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Without Hossa there will be zero stanley cups in Chicago. Everibody says that Toews Kane Kieth Seabrook won the cups. All those players are still in Chicago and they havent seen the playoffs last year and probably this year either. You can see that more important for winning was Hossa and Crawford. Hossa is plus 245 in plus/minus Only Dacjuk And Chara have simmilar plus minus statistics, Crosby is plus 184 and the "great canadian defender" Patrice Bergeron who got plenty selke trophys is plus 159. If Hossa would be Canadian or center or center/canadian he would get at least 4 - 5 selke trophies. Trophies is politics. Yes Hossa had one weaknes he had zero PR, he just made his job and won the games. He did not care about trophies and PR. Taking into account Hossas numbers with the defence he played in the era he played there is no question he belongs to the hall of fame. And I like watching him play hockey.

A bump from 2017, is that you Mrs Hossa?

Reactions: Kupo

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
No not at all.

It's not the Hall of Very Good.

No.

To me no.

He has no individual hardware, and never came particularly close to any of them either (his highest finish in anything was 5th for a Selke...)

Nobody is going to sit their kid down one day and tell them epic tales of when they got to watch Marian Hossa play hockey

The question is will he make the HHOF, not do you personally think he should.

3-4 NHL players are inducted each year. You don't have to like that reality, but it is reality. Without changes to the HHOF admitting criteria, I think you'd be hard pressed to find 30+ players from Hossa's era (plus a few old-timers who haven't yet made it) who would be admitted ahead of him.

Drgi

Feb 7, 2019
Any reasoning why? Had he been Canadian maybe not but he is one of the best Slovak players of all time which helps him. If Sundin and Andreychuk got in Hossa will likely as well.

He probably would have won a selke or two if it wasnt basically a centerman award for the last 20 years
There are allready two players from Slovakia in the hall of fame Stan Mikita and Peter Stastny. Why this should be a reason to get to hall of fame - to be from Slovakia ? Peter Bondra who is also from Slovakiascored over 500 goals, wonn the Naurice Richard trophy twice, was 5 time all star and in1998 in the stanley cup finals and he was not itroduced.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It’s hard to root for a guy that faked an injury to retire. His allergic rash began the first year his actual salary dropped to only $1 million.

He is a scum bag

Allergy was there for longer but became unbearable for 1M

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It’s hard to root for a guy that faked an injury to retire. His allergic rash began the first year his actual salary dropped to only $1 million.

He is a scum bag

Yes he didn’t want to continue destroying his body and taking years of his life for 1 million what a scum bag.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

He is a scum bag

He pulled off quite the elaborate hoax then considering multiple groups of doctors were involved in that situation. A real scum bag is a person who passes off false narratives as facts just because they dont like someone.:nod:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I will say this until I'm blue in the face, but it is a crime against hockey that Hossa didn't win multiple Selkes. Part of what made the Hawks so good was that both he and Toews were elite defensively during the Hawks run, as well as well above average but not quite elite offensively. Hossa and Toews would shut down the opposing top line and score on them in the process. Not to say that Toews isn't elite himself, but it isn't a coincidence that once Hossa started to slow down and then post-retirement Toews' Corsi numbers have gone from otherworldly to very good. They were perfect linemates.

Reactions: BHD and fivesberg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The question is will he make the HHOF, not do you personally think he should.

3-4 NHL players are inducted each year. You don't have to like that reality, but it is reality. Without changes to the HHOF admitting criteria, I think you'd be hard pressed to find 30+ players from Hossa's era (plus a few old-timers who haven't yet made it) who would be admitted ahead of him.
I'm gonna hold firm on no. Can't let every jabroni in. Maybe his invite got a rash and had to quit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad