Will Marian Hossa make the hall of fame?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The Hall of Fame is a joke anyway.

That said, Hossa absolutely deserves it. 500 goals, 1000pts, 3 stanley cups. If Kariya made it, no way Hoss doesn't.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mark Recchi just got in and he finished his career with 577 goals and 1533 points in 1652 games, in a higher scoring era overall. Hossa is currently at 525 goals and 1134 points in 1309 games. He'll get in. Maybe not a first ballot, but he'll get in.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
To me no.

He has no individual hardware, and never came particularly close to any of them either (his highest finish in anything was 5th for a Selke...)

In terms of point finishes he was only ever twice in the top 10, finishing 5th in '03 and 6th in '07

He has three cups and he was a quality piece on those runs, but he was at best the 4th or 5th most valuable cog.

He was a good player, but his stats are more cumulative than of dominance in any particular aspect or time frame. The argument that worse players made it in doesn't make a case with me, we should be moving the bar up, not continually lowering the floor. Nobody is going to sit their kid down one day and tell them epic tales of when they got to watch Marian Hossa play hockey

Perry's finished in the top five for points twice and has won awards and it seems many think he won't get in.

Andreychuk won no awards and finished in the top ten for points once. He's in.

Mullen only won the Lady Byng and finished in the top ten for points once. He also won three Cups. He's in.

Gartner won no awards and finished in the top ten for points once. He's in.

McDonald won no major awards and finished in the top ten for points twice. He's in.

Ciccarelli won no awards and finished in the top ten for points twice. He's in.

Even Sundin and Modano didn't win major awards and didn't finish in the top ten for points a ton of times. They're in and should be. They scored 1300+ points despite spending years playing in the DPE and are the leading point scorers for their respective countries

Hossa will be inducted.

He's like the Glenn Anderson of this era... Anderson won no awards and finished in the top ten for points once. He won six Cups as a supporting player. Hossa was a better player than Glenn Anderson.

Yep. Good numbers, 3 Cups in 5 trips to the finals. If Andreychuck, Sundin and Dino can get in, Hossa has to.

Ouch... not a Sundin fan, eh? He was certainly better than those two.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'd have to vote yes although I still hate his guts for blinding Bryan Berard. He's always been a brainless kind of hockey player but effective.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The Hall of Fame is a joke anyway.

That said, Hossa absolutely deserves it. 500 goals, 1000pts, 3 stanley cups. If Kariya made it, no way Hoss doesn't.

Kariya: No awards other than the Byng. No Cups. Under 1000 points. He did have four finishes in the top ten for points, though.

Cam Neely: No awards other than the Masterton. No Cups. Under 700 points. No finishes in the top ten for points.

If Cam is in, Hossa is guaranteed an induction.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yep. Good numbers, 3 Cups in 5 trips to the finals. If Andreychuck, Sundin and Dino can get in, Hossa has to.
and there' s part of the problem

How many goal trophies for Sundin? points trophies? Throughout his career he probably peaked at being in the conversation of top 5 centres in the game. But he was blessed with good health that led to a long career as a top 15 centre which led to numbers.

I view Hossa the same way. The difference with Hossa being he won Cups. No individual hardware. Just a lengthy career as an upper echelon player and team success as one of many cogs in a wheel. He was just never able to succeed when he wasn' behind a Toews / Kane.

I think he'll get in. I just don' think he should. Mind you there are several guys over the past 25 years that got in that I don' think belong

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Perry's finished in the top five for points twice and has won awards and it seems many think he won't get in.

Andreychuk won no awards and finished in the top ten for points once. He's in.

Mullen only won the Lady Byng and finished in the top ten for points once. He also won three Cups. He's in.

Gartner won no awards and finished in the top ten for points once. He's in.

McDonald won no major awards and finished in the top ten for points twice. He's in.

Ciccarelli won no awards and finished in the top ten for points twice. He's in.

Even Sundin and Modano didn't win major awards and didn't finish in the top ten for points a ton of times. They're in and should be. They scored 1300+ points despite spending years playing in the DPE and are the leading point scorers for their respective countries

Hossa will be inducted.

He's like the Glenn Anderson of this era... Anderson won no awards and finished in the top ten for points once. He won six Cups as a supporting player. Hossa was a better player than Glenn Anderson.

Ouch... not a Sundin fan, eh? He was certainly better than those two.
Sundin was actually my favourite player. I idolized him when I was a kid, and think he's a Saint. But the fact is, he has no NHL hardware to speak of, and got in because he compiled good numbers (and was a Leaf). One can point to his international resume, of course, and I do have him above Ciccarelli and Andreychuk, but not by a whole lot.

Hossa has also compiled good totals, and has even greater team success. I think he's as deserving of the Hall as Sundin is.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Sundin was actually my favourite player. I idolized him when I was a kid, and think he's a Saint. But the fact is, he has no NHL hardware to speak of, and got in because he compiled good numbers (and was a Leaf). One can point to his international resume, of course, and I do have him above Ciccarelli and Andreychuk, but not by a whole lot.

Hossa has also compiled good totals, and has even greater team success. I think he's as deserving of the Hall as Sundin is.

Yeah, Hossa will/should get in.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
No not at all.

Any reasoning why? Had he been Canadian maybe not but he is one of the best Slovak players of all time which helps him. If Sundin and Andreychuk got in Hossa will likely as well.

and there' s part of the problem

How many goal trophies for Sundin? points trophies? Throughout his career he probably peaked at being in the conversation of top 5 centres in the game. But he was blessed with good health that led to a long career as a top 15 centre which led to numbers.

I view Hossa the same way. The difference with Hossa being he won Cups. No individual hardware. Just a lengthy career as an upper echelon player and team success as one of many cogs in a wheel. He was just never able to succeed when he wasn' behind a Toews / Kane.

I think he'll get in. I just don' think he should. Mind you there are several guys over the past 25 years that got in that I don' think belong

He probably would have won a selke or two if it wasnt basically a centerman award for the last 20 years

Reactions: bobbydigital

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Kariya: No awards other than the Byng. No Cups. Under 1000 points. He did have four finishes in the top ten for points, though.

Cam Neely: No awards other than the Masterton. No Cups. Under 700 points. No finishes in the top ten for points.

If Cam is in, Hossa is guaranteed an induction.

There are good arguments and then there are bad ones.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
One of the best defensive wingers of the last decade, 1000pts, 500 goals, 3 cups, and was one of the biggest players for his country these past few years? He should call the cops if he doesn't make it in, because that'd mean he was robbed.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's hilarious seeing people justify someone getting into the Hall by pointing out a weak induction :laugh: it's like we are all playing community rec basketball, and instead of 1 or 2 kids getting MVP awards, everyone instead gets participation trophies.

Hossa isn't like Andreychuk, Recchi, or Housley. He's better and much more deserving.

For one, his production. He has 4 top 10 finishes in goals, and 2 in points. He has 500+ goals and 1000+ points, but was also a highly recognized two way player for a majority of his career. He is currently at the top among active players in almost statistic. From his first season to 2017, he sits 4th in overall points and 3rd in goals, while sitting 3rd in points, 2nd in goals, and 5th in assists among RWs.

His nationlity. He's the most productive player ever from Slovakia, and arguably the greatest. That will mean something.

But what puts him in IMO is his playoff resume. He sits 4th among active players in points, 4th in assists, and 6th in goals...all while being a key piece to 3 stanley cup championships.

If anything Hossa is very much underrated. He may not have the flashiest stats or a lot of hardware, but he more than makes up for that with his production and playoff resume. Especially as a Right Winger, he was near the top for a good span of(what I feel his is prime) 2003-2012.

Hoss getting into the Hall wouldn't be as much of a travesty as people are making it, and it most definitely wouldn't be the same as inducting Andreychuk or Recchi.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Many fans have higher standards than the Hall does.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Some people act like there should be a "line" from each era in the HHOF. 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and a goalie. Only the best of the best. If the standard was that high, then there would be maybe 50 players in the HHOF. Maybe that is how you guys want it, but I don't. there have been more than 100 great players in 100 seasons of NHL hockey. The fact that there is an argument about the NHL 100 list shows that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad