Will Malkin hit 100 pts next year?

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Not going to be easy for him next year.

This year, the rookie crop was quite possibly the best ever but they had an advantage. They werent the only players adjusting to the nhl level of play...

With 1 year of lockout and the new rules that open the play, every nhl player was in the same boat. Next year wont be the same...

thinicer

Apr 16, 2006
Orlando, Florida
Malkin is damn good, no question about it. But the question remains: how well we he adapt to the NHL?

Just because Malkin is tearing up the RSL doesn't mean it will translate to a lot of NHL points. Look at Morozov. When he was in the NHL he was average offensively, at best. But he won the RSL scoring title this year. Are we to assume that, if he makes the leap back to the NHL, he will score more than Ovechkin? Ovechkin put up ho-hum numbers in the RSL when he was there, but exploded offensively in the NHL. It leads me to believe that his playing style, his game, is better suited for professional hockey in North America. Morozov's seems to work better in Russia.

The RSL is the RSL, and the NHL is the NHL. How you perform in one league doesn't automatically translate into success in the other. A lot of players that come from Europe just don't like the increased physicality of the NHL and it affects their game and they go back home. Others embrace it. We'll see how Malkin does when he gets here, but he is definitely the odds-on favorite to win the Calder next year (assuming he plays)

Liberati0n*

OmG d00dz Malkin iz t3h ub3r roxxorz cuz li3k hez b3tta than Ovetchk1n y0 cuz he waz li3k t0talLy dr@ft3d by da pens d00dz da caps iz n00bz!!111!!11!!!11!!!1!!11

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Universal Cynic said:
OmG d00dz Malkin iz t3h ub3r roxxorz cuz li3k hez b3tta than Ovetchk1n y0 cuz he waz li3k t0talLy dr@ft3d by da pens d00dz da caps iz n00bz!!111!!11!!!11!!!1!!11

Wow, intelligent!

Malkin is very good, but it is how his transition is. Is he definitely coming over?

Verbal Kint*

I say no.

But then again, I said Sid the Kid would hit 60 tops and Ovechkin would be lucky to reach 70.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
As a Pens fan, I'd be happy to get 70-75 out of Malkin. He's probably my favorite young player, but I don't think his game translates to the NHL as well as Crosby's and AO's. I hope I'm wrong and he makes an immediate impact, but I think he'll have an adjustment period.

Bruins2020

Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
thinicer said:
Malkin is damn good, no question about it. But the question remains: how well we he adapt to the NHL?

Just because Malkin is tearing up the RSL doesn't mean it will translate to a lot of NHL points. Look at Morozov. When he was in the NHL he was average offensively, at best. But he won the RSL scoring title this year. Are we to assume that, if he makes the leap back to the NHL, he will score more than Ovechkin? Ovechkin put up ho-hum numbers in the RSL when he was there, but exploded offensively in the NHL. It leads me to believe that his playing style, his game, is better suited for professional hockey in North America. Morozov's seems to work better in Russia.

The RSL is the RSL, and the NHL is the NHL. How you perform in one league doesn't automatically translate into success in the other. A lot of players that come from Europe just don't like the increased physicality of the NHL and it affects their game and they go back home. Others embrace it. We'll see how Malkin does when he gets here, but he is definitely the odds-on favorite to win the Calder next year (assuming he plays)

You're forgetting that when Morozov played in the NHL, it was an entirely different game than it was this year. Something tells me that he would do pretty well in the new NHL. Not Ovechkin well, but something around 20 - 30 goals and 65-75 pts well. I'd actually like to see him come back just to see how his skillset translates in the new NHL.

Morozov is also in his prime at 29 years of age, and has plenty of experience playing in top leagues, so that helped him quite a bit this year in the RSL, and absolutely played a key role in his scoring title.

I'm hoping that the Bruins can bring Sergei Zinovjev back to the NHL. He's another skilled Russian who should do well in the new NHL.

Regarding Malkin. I can't wait to see him in the NHL. Hope it is next year. 100 pts? wow, not sure, but I wouldn't have predicted 100 pts for either Crosby or Ovechkin either, so who knows?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
dok101 said:
From what I saw in the Olympics, I don't think he'll hit 100 points. He is a tremendous talent but Ovechkin and Crosby are more offensively gifted.
At the Olympics Malkin didn't show all his offensive potential. He played more defensively and took less chances than usual.

That's not to say he will score 100pts in his first NHL year.. he is primarily a two-way set up center, it's impossible to predict point totals without knowing who will play on his wings.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Slitty said:
Mozyakin did outscore Malkin...
He didn't outscore Malkin as for points per game though.

Slitty said:
However, Malkin was on the best team in the RSL... unlike Mozyakin... thus the Ovechkin syndrome of "he had nobody to play with" only applies to Mozyakin. Morozov outscored him and was probably MVP this year, especially with scoring 13 goals and 13 assists for 26 points in 13 playoff games to crown Ak Bars champions. However, he was on a line consisting of Zaripov-Zvinovjev-Morozov... and that would make a pretty damn good offensive line by NHL standards.
It's not clear if Malkin was on the best team or if it was the best team thanks to Malkin..anyway, considering his offensive line, he surely benefited from his linemates less than Morozov did from Zino and Zaripov.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Around 80 would be fantastic........ specially if the Penguins use Malkins line as i think they should - to match up with the other teams top line every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->