Will Luongo make the Hockey Hall of Fame?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Has anyone with 3 Vezina nods not made it in? Serious question. He lost to Brodeur, Brodeur, and Thomas on the back of crazy seasons by each of those guys. Seriously: lu broke the record for wins in a season only to have Brodeur break it too in the same year. Two Pearson nominations and a Hart nomination. Two shutouts in a Stanley cup final series and the team in front of him scores 8 goals.

He has a decent shot at top 5 in wins and shutouts. An outside shot at 500 wins (while spending over half his career with non playoff teams).

Anyone making cracks about his play in 2010 should take a look at his save on Demetra (RIP) to advance to the gold medal game.

I get that the bar is high for goalies and I'm not saying he is at Brodeur's level (obviously not). But those dismissing him with "lol no" have no idea what they're taking about.

Yes. Tom Barrasso was a Vezina finalist 5 times, including one win and he isn't in. Also won 2 Cups.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well, there really is no good reason why Barrasso is not in. I would guess he gets elected at some point. Right?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Honestly, as a goalie, you can't be that far off that level and get in. The only goalies from the last 35 years to make the HHOF are Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy, Ed Belfour, and Dominik Hasek. That's it. Martin Brodeur will join them, but who else? If Tom Barrasso and Curtis Joseph couldn't get in, why would Luongo?

i guess so. but that's assuming that cujo won't eventually make it (i'd bet that he does). and i suspect that barrasso may someday get his own ciccarelli-esque reprieve.

but the other reason luongo should get in, whether or not barrasso and joseph do, is era. i have a really hard time believing that a guy who was so clearly a top guy of his generation like luongo was, could be left out. even given how competitive the goaltending position is. three guys born the same year as barrasso are hall of famers. only one guy born without half a decade of luongo is (lundqvist, three years later), and other than lundqvist you have no one closer than seven years to luongo's age in either direction (brodeur and quick/price).

Between 03/04 and 11/12 (before the new generation takes over of Quick/Price/Rask) who was better than Luongo? Brodeur and Lundqvist? Pretty long list, eh?

i'm not sure why lundqvist is any better than luongo. he may very well end up better in the long run, but up to this point i'd say luongo is a little ahead.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
****, I have been a big proponent Luongo for the hall of fame, but seeing this as a compison makes me change my mind...

Barrasso also only played 777 games, 369 wins.

Luongo could easily finish 100 ahead of him by the time his career is over, with much better career stats as well.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Barrasso also only played 777 games, 369 wins.

Luongo could easily finish 100 ahead of him by the time his career is over, with much better career stats as well.

I cant believe people are still trying to use 'wins' against goalies from before there was a shoot out.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
My whole point is this is the hockey hall of fame. Not the hockey hall of anybody decently good should get in.

Don't think he's made a big enough impact to be a hall worthy player.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Cujo/Andy Moog/Beezer class

Hall of Very Good ,, Not Hall of Fame

Lack of awards , Cup and his struggles in playoffs hurt his case as well

He was great in the finals in 2011, not his fault his team forgot how to score goals. Yea he's had some shay games but what goalie hasn't?

He's still got two Gold Medals (one as starter), a World Cup, and two World Championship Golds (took over as starter in 2003 for the Medal Round, starter in 2004).

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
I cant believe people are still trying to use 'wins' against goalies from before there was a shoot out.

Tom Barasso 777gms 369-277-68 SO 38...sv% .892....most of his career with a solid team in Pitts

Roberto Luongo 864gms 360-282-123..SO 68.. sV% .919 only 1/2 with a playoff team or canucks

Luongo still (if healthy ) at least 3 more seasons to add to his totals....and will end up with about 100 more wins than barasso that are not shootout wins

surprising stat....Barasso only had 2 seasons of 30 or more wins

Luongo 7 seasons (5 without shootout)

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
so if he has 3 avg Luongo seasons(IM okay with wait till he puts the years in)

based on that
will be top 3 in gms played

will be top 5 in wins

will be top 2 in SA

could be top 6 or better in SO

could be ....next to Hasek 2nd best in SV% career.........although Lunqvist could move into that spot in a handful of years

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He needs a Cup and/or a Vezina win to have a good chance, I think. If he can win anything else it's gravy.

Lou has the respect, personality, international success and career numbers (assuming he puts up another two or three solid years). Just needs that NHL hook of an epic season or an amazing (winning) cup run to lock it up.

He seemed rejuvenated this year in Miami and even moreso after Jagr showed up. With the Panthers young core starting to hit their stride another solid season or two from Lou and Jagr might be all we need to make some noise in the post-season.

Calling it now: Vezina, Con Smythe, Stanley Cup and Jennings for Lou in 2016-2017...

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
He needs a Cup and/or a Vezina win to have a good chance, I think. If he can win anything else it's gravy.

Lou has the respect, personality, international success and career numbers (assuming he puts up another two or three solid years). Just needs that NHL hook of an epic season or an amazing (winning) cup run to lock it up.

He seemed rejuvenated this year in Miami and even moreso after Jagr showed up. With the Panthers young core starting to hit their stride another solid season or two from Lou and Jagr might be all we need to make some noise in the post-season.

Calling it now: Vezina, Con Smythe, Stanley Cup and Jennings for Lou in 2016-2017...

His Vezina year was 2003-04, as far as I'm concerned. He played 72 games and had a .931 save %. Since the 1983-84 season, when the NHL began tracking save percentages, the only other goalie to ever play more than 70 games and have a save % over .930 was Dominik Hasek.

Since the 2003-04 season, and assuming that Carey Price won the Vezina this year, the Vezina winners have been the leaders in GSAA (using Hockey Reference) 7 out of 9 times. The two exceptions finished in second place: Lundqvist won while trailing Mike Smith by a little more than 6 GSAA, and Rask trailed Varlamov by fewer than 2 GSAA.

In the 2003-04 season, Luongo had a league-leading 48.42 goals saved above average. The next highest total that year was Dwayne Roloson, who had 28.82. Brodeur, who won the Vezina, finished in 10th place with 10.31 GSAA.

So why did Luongo lose that year? Kiprusoff might have taken a few votes away, but the real reason is that Luongo had more losses than wins. No goalie has ever won the (modern version of the) Vezina in a year that he had a losing record.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I don't care what his numbers are. With no Cup or Vezina forget about it. Having neither of those two implies he was never the best of his generation.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There's no chance he's going to make it into the Hall of Fame if he retires today.

If he wins a Stanley Cup or suddenly starts having his best seasons now (at 35 or later), maybe there's a small chance. But even if the Canucks had won the Stanley Cup in 2011, I still say no chance Luongo gets in.

I disagree. If the Canucks had won game 6 or 7 he gets in. He has a Gold Medal as well as multiple vezina nominations and 2 presidents trophies.

If he would of won game 7, he would of been the Canucks' Conn Smythe winner that spring. 45 minutes. 45 mins was the difference been people saying virtual lock vs it's debatable.

I don't think his whole career rep deserves to swing on one game where his team had nothing left in front of him.

For me... I think he hits 500 wins with a little luck... and therefore to me is a virtual lock of the hall at that point. 99 wins left... With a rising Panther team and some health luck, staving off a massive decline.. he hits that in 3 or 4 seasons.

only 2 in history have hit that.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I don't care what his numbers are. With no Cup or Vezina forget about it. Having neither of those two implies he was never the best of his generation.

Gartner, Oates, Lafontaine, Stasny (Sr.) and I'm sure others all retired without cups.

Not caring about his resume beyond a Cup or a Vezina is just silly and implies no such thing.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

What helps his argument is that he came in second to the greatest season of the 2nd or 3rd greatest goaltender of all-time.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Gartner, Oates, Lafontaine, Stasny (Sr.) and I'm sure others all retired without cups.

Not caring about his resume beyond a Cup or a Vezina is just silly and implies no such thing.

Ya but are there any NHL goalies in the hall without a cup or a Vezina?

Last edited:

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Ya but are there any NHL goalies in the hall without a cup or a Vezina?

I have no idea.

But I do know there wasn't a player in the Hall without a Cup until there was one?

Many goalies in the Hall with 2 Olympic Gold medals and 5+ other international gold and silver medals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->