Will Luongo make the Hockey Hall of Fame?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No. The bar is far higher for goalies than it is for players, and while he does have decent numbers, he doesn't have any serious hardware, and his consistent meltdowns under pressure, including in a game 7 during a cup final, will define his reputation.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe, but I'd lean toward no. He's one of the best of his generation, but goalies are a tough one and I think his meltdowns in the finals will stick with him, as well as the fact that he ultimately didn't win the Vezina, despite having a couple seasons worthy of it.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
6th all time is sv%, will finish 3rd or 4th all time in wins, will finish top 5-10 in shutouts.

Hard to stay out with numbers like that.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I'd vote for him, but probably not. He doesn't have the awards that are given so much weight but he has probably been the 2nd best goalie of his era (3rd if you count Brodeur).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
6th all time is sv%, will finish 3rd or 4th all time in wins, will finish top 5-10 in shutouts.

Hard to stay out with numbers like that.

Like scorers stats in the 80's though, those are all heavily influenced by the era he plays in

evermix*

Nope. Hall of Fame is not about stats, it's about dominance.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There's no chance he's going to make it into the Hall of Fame if he retires today.

If he wins a Stanley Cup or suddenly starts having his best seasons now (at 35 or later), maybe there's a small chance. But even if the Canucks had won the Stanley Cup in 2011, I still say no chance Luongo gets in.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
There's no chance he's going to make it into the Hall of Fame if he retires today.

If he wins a Stanley Cup or suddenly starts having his best seasons now (at 35 or later), maybe there's a small chance. But even if the Canucks had won the Stanley Cup in 2011, I still say no chance Luongo gets in.

I disagree. If the Canucks had won game 6 or 7 he gets in. He has a Gold Medal as well as multiple vezina nominations and 2 presidents trophies.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think he should. He has made some amazing saves and brought the Canucks to the SCF. He also has won a gold medal and played very well in his prime. He may not be playing as well before but he is also aging he is 36 now.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Richard Brodeur also brought the Canucks to the Finals; doesn't mean he was a Hall of Famer.

I dunno, Luongo is maybe closer than most, but I don't think he cuts it. I think a goalie gets judged on:
a) regular seasons success (wins vs. losses)
b) hardware / League-leader
c) championship success (Gold medals, Stanley Cup, etc.)
d) intangible of being the guy the media/coaches/GMs talk about as the guy you trust in net in OT of game 7, etc.

In my mind, Luongo scores:
a) pretty good
b) no (did lead the NHL in wins one year)
c) pretty good, but not great (Gold medal=yes; two trips to Stanley Cup finals but no Cup, including epic choke - albeit not his fault - in 2011 = not really)
d) not at all

Since he doesn't knock the ball out of the park on any one of these categories (to mix sports metaphors), I don't think he's getting in.

Having said that, it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell who is a great goalie and who isn't anymore. They're all kind of even at the 'starter' level now. For example: two years ago, Devan Dubnyk was a bum who was headed to the minors; this year he had the 2nd-best GAA and was NHL star of the month three months ago.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Call me crazy but the HOF candidates and proposals seem ridiculous to me.

Luongo doesn't deserve to be in the HHOF along with Brodeur and Hasek. Someone had a thread on here for Brad Richards?! Along the likes of Messier, Gretzky, Yzerman, Etc.

The answer should and will be no.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Luongo doesn't deserve to be in the HHOF along with Brodeur and Hasek. Someone had a thread on here for Brad Richards?! Along the likes of Messier, Gretzky, Yzerman, Etc.

There's a lot more in the HHOF than Brodeur, Hasek, Messier, Gretzky and Yzerman.

Luongo is right around the cutoff (which is way harder as a goalie than as a skater). But I think he probably makes it in if he can have a few more successful years with Florida.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench

Don't forget Bernie Federko!

There's a lot of players in the HHOF that have no business being there. Luongo wouldn't be one of them IMO if he gets 500+ career wins. Sure, he won't (presumably) have a cup, but he'll have been an elite goaltender for long enough to warrant induction. Not to mention the backstopped Team Canada to their biggest victory in a generation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad