Player Discussion Will Lockwood

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think so too. He could use a healthy senior campaign under his belt before he signs. There's no rush, we've seen enough of prospects hitting the wall in Utica this year.

I am not a fan of letting NCAA prospects play out their senior year. If Lockwood is a prospect you want to sign to an ELC eventually you sign him this summer.

What will Lockwood accomplish by playing his senior year? I understand that he has missed some development time due to injuries but he will be 21. Maybe he has a monster offensive season offensively? It’s not like he is a total late bloomer or stuck behind talented seniors. He’s been given a significant role from the start and produced. It appears that his offensive development has kind of stagnated.

I hope the Canucks sign Lockwood this summer.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I don't see Lockwood having anything to gain by playing another year of college and I doubt he feels much differently. I would be shocked if he doesn't sign this offseason.

Reactions: OEL for Norris

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Need to get Lockwood to follow Quinn to Vancouver after this season. If he goes into his Senior year, it's just too big of a risk that he waits an extra couple months and signs with a major US team. Players need to move to the next level once they top out, and the AHL should be the next challenge for Lockwood.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Need to get Lockwood to follow Quinn to Vancouver after this season. If he goes into his Senior year, it's just too big of a risk that he waits an extra couple months and signs with a major US team. Players need to move to the next level once they top out, and the AHL should be the next challenge for Lockwood.
He becomes eligible for the Seattle expansion draft if he plays a game for the Canucks this season.

As it stands now the protection list is just Bo, Brock, Elias, Virtanen and likely Gaudette up front. No one else has locked up a spot. Includes Dahlen.

2 spots open. I don’t envision Lockwood on the Canucks to start next season but he could work himself up to the big club over the season
See how management is able to play this. Ideally get him on an amateur tryout with the comets.

Like to keep those last 2 spots open for possible higher end guys either via trade or free agency.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He becomes eligible for the Seattle expansion draft if he plays a game for the Canucks this season.

As it stands now the protection list is just Bo, Brock, Elias, Virtanen and likely Gaudette up front. No one else has locked up a spot. Includes Dahlen.

2 spots open. I don’t envision Lockwood on the Canucks to start next season but he could work himself up to the big club over the season
See how management is able to play this. Ideally get him on an amateur tryout with the comets.

Like to keep those last 2 spots open for possible higher end guys either via trade or free agency.

He could still sign an ATO to finish out the year with Utica with the intention of signing his ELC for 19-20.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

I have been reading about this as much as I could find, and I don't see this. Could you please share where you are getting this definitive opinion?

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
I am not a fan of letting NCAA prospects play out their senior year. If Lockwood is a prospect you want to sign to an ELC eventually you sign him this summer.

What will Lockwood accomplish by playing his senior year? I understand that he has missed some development time due to injuries but he will be 21. Maybe he has a monster offensive season offensively? It’s not like he is a total late bloomer or stuck behind talented seniors. He’s been given a significant role from the start and produced. It appears that his offensive development has kind of stagnated.

I don’t think it would be bad for him to have another full college season. If he’s healthy then he plays 2 games a week and spends the rest of the week in the gym continuing to build strength and get his body ready for pro hockey.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t think it would be bad for him to have another full college season. If he’s healthy then he plays 2 games a week and spends the rest of the week in the gym continuing to build strength and get his body ready for pro hockey.

No one said it would be bad for him to have another full college season. But he's currently playing his 3rd year of college hockey. Lockwood was second in team scoring in his freshman year. He played at the WJC last season. This season he's 3rd in team scoring and 2nd among forwards. He should be ready to turn pro.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008

I mean the team this year is not good at all. I would also put him in the AHL. He's the type of player that I think will struggle adapting to the pro schedule, not necessarily the pro style.

The case can be made that there should be a type of showcase or supplemental summer league, similar to the Arizona Fall League in MLB. 5 teams pool their prospects (guys who maybe missed half the season with injury, or guys you'd like to test out against other top prospects) onto a roster and play a shortened season, maybe 10 games and a short playoff.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yeah. Utics isnt developing NHL talent at the moment.
Better off playing another year of NCAA hockey in every way.
Yeah, for sure. I've been watching the Comets games on the AHLtv service this season and the kids are all struggling like mad to adapt; Jasek has put up decent numbers early but even he has stalled and isn't dressing for games lately. It's just a really hard league and all of these second tier prospects ought to come in as mature and well prepared as absolutely possibly or they really don't stand much of a chance. Lockwood strikes me as another guy that's likely to look like he belongs in Kalamazoo next year. Better to give him one more year of college hockey to give him the best chance of success.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, for sure. I've been watching the Comets games on the AHLtv service this season and the kids are all struggling like mad to adapt; Jasek has put up decent numbers early but even he has stalled and isn't dressing for games lately. It's just a really hard league and all of these second tier prospects ought to come in as mature and well prepared as absolutely possibly or they really don't stand much of a chance. Lockwood strikes me as another guy that's likely to look like he belongs in Kalamazoo next year. Better to give him one more year of college hockey to give him the best chance of success.

Question for you:

Lockwood signing this year means 100% he is a Canuck. Lockwood playing his senior year means less than 100% he is a Canuck.

Do you believe it is better for the Canucks that he goes back to play his senior year?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Question for you:

Lockwood signing this year means 100% he is a Canuck. Lockwood playing his senior year means less than 100% he is a Canuck.

Do you believe it is better for the Canucks that he goes back to play his senior year?
Yes, I don't believe there will be a bidding war for this player. I think you let him play his senior year and sign him in March of 2020. As I said, I think the flight risk here is negligible and the chances of him being able to handle AHL competition right now aren't great.

Do you think he's ahead of where Lind and Gadjovich were at this time last year? If he isn't, then you're signing an ECHL caliber player and hoping he eventually progresses into a legitimate AHLer, which is what we have currently in Lind and Gadjovich. Of course there's no guarantee he makes big strides next year at Michigan, but it is possible.

*Dahlen is failing miserably in Utica this year too and likely headed back to Europe a failure imo. Add his name to the list of kids that should have waited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->