Player Discussion Will Lockwood

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Why? A professional career could last him for the rest of his life. He can still try pro-hockey next year and get a fatter contract as a UFA.
Hopefully not

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
I agree with your sentiments. I wonder if, with these college kids, a GM needs to consider how many years of development before the kid will be NHL ready when drafting one? If the kid will need a full four years, then it might be wise to not pick him? Hughes was clearly ready to come out after no more than two years. Rathbone looks like he’s only going to need a couple years. When Lockwood was drafted did we think he might need all four years? I think we should not draft those guys, because there is no incentive for them to come out early. They can develop at school, and finish their degrees.

With that logic we don't have Tyler Madden nor Adam Gaudette nor Ben Hutton. I'm probably forgetting some other guys too.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
if Lockwood didn't have injury problems and wasn't forced to "re-invent" his game, I wager he could've had a decent chance to be playing some of these end-of-season games. Looked like a very good bottom 6 prospect in his freshman year.

He's had a disappointing past few seasons though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So all this fear mongering of him leaving the organization was just that

It wasn’t what it wasn’t

I like hearing good news that (even) proves me wrong. Of course we want Lockwood to be here. The worry about him becoming a UFA is (was) still valid though.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
You literally said “ I hope Lockwood doesn’t have a pro career.”
Cause it looked like he would NOT sing here. But he did, so I hope the best

anyways no news on Locky, if theres no ahl what Will happen with him???

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The next Zac Dalpe?
Not seeing much comparisons to Dalpe, a natural center who has spent most of his career in the AHL. As far as their singing careers, I'll leave it to posters who have a better ear for music than I do.

A better Lockwood comparison might be Scott Walker in his prime. Lockwood is a swift-skating, aggressive winger who gets in on the forecheck and early in his NCAA career played like a heat-seeking missile. They had to tone it down after he suffered a couple of serious shoulder injuries.

He's in the mix for a third-fourth line role for the Canucks eventually, when they finally move out some of their overpaid bottom of the roster contracts. But he'll probably need at least a season or two in Utica.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
My apologies if this isn't the right threat (I searched around and this seemed like the one to post in)

I wrote a piece looking at Lockwood's game -- lots of video looking at his patterns, tools, and translatability.

What the future holds for Canucks prospect Will Lockwood | Offside

Nice article. Lockwood could be the perfect replacement for Motte. Likely a downgrade in the short term but the cap implications could make up for that in spades. Time will tell.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He's 23 turning 24. He looks primed for a Motte-esque development curve and opportunity!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's 23 turning 24. He looks primed for a Motte-esque development curve and opportunity!
Lockwood has close to an elite set of wheels....and plays with a serious edge....but not really seeing the comparisons to Motte who was a big-time scorer in the NCAA before being drafted by Chicago.

Lockwood stats in college with Michigan were pretty pedestrian; and so far in Abbotsford he's been an effective two-way forward. But isn't really lighting it up, scoring-wise.

I think the upside is a depth forward; maybe a penalty killer; and 5-10 goals a season if he's lucky.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I think Lockwood plays a lot more similar to Motte than he does to Scott Walker.

You describe Lockwood’s upside as a 3rd or 4th line depth forward (above) who can chip in 5-10 goals a season, and who can kill penalties.

Isn’t that more or less what Motte is?

Scott Walker also put up some big numbers (as a d-man) in junior. His fighting ability was also a big part of his game. His wheels were nowhere near as good as Lockwoods.

Scott Walker also had a couple of 50+ point seasons and one where he was pushing 70 points (and closing in on a PPG).

Tyler Motte doesn’t have much of a scoring touch at the NHL level. Sure, you can occasionally slot him in to play higher up the lineup, but that generally isn’t going to work out well.

They may not look the exact same on the ice, but in terms of on-ice impact, and type of game they play, a realistic upside projection for Lockwood is Tyler Motte.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Lockwood has close to an elite set of wheels....and plays with a serious edge....but not really seeing the comparisons to Motte who was a big-time scorer in the NCAA before being drafted by Chicago.

Lockwood stats in college with Michigan were pretty pedestrian; and so far in Abbotsford he's been an effective two-way forward. But isn't really lighting it up, scoring-wise.

I think the upside is a depth forward; maybe a penalty killer; and 5-10 goals a season if he's lucky.

Motte isn’t a goal scorer anymore tho. He’s an effective two way forward who doesn’t really light it up scoring-wise

Reactions: IComeInPeace

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Lockwood plays a lot more similar to Motte than he does to Scott Walker.

You describe Lockwood’s upside as a 3rd or 4th line depth forward (above) who can chip in 5-10 goals a season, and who can kill penalties.

Isn’t that more or less what Motte is?

Scott Walker also put up some big numbers (as a d-man) in junior. His fighting ability was also a big part of his game. His wheels were nowhere near as good as Lockwoods.

Scott Walker also had a couple of 50+ point seasons and one where he was pushing 70 points (and closing in on a PPG).

Tyler Motte doesn’t have much of a scoring touch at the NHL level. Sure, you can occasionally slot him in to play higher up the lineup, but that generally isn’t going to work out well.

They may not look the exact same on the ice, but in terms of on-ice impact, and type of game they play, a realistic upside projection for Lockwood is Tyler Motte.

There aren't that many Scott Walker types around. The nickname Wild Thing has to be earned.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad