Player Discussion Will Lockwood

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It really is looking that bad. 2016 is quite likely the worst draft in Canucks history, especially if you factor in how they wasted their high 2nd round pick in a stupid trade that was bad from day 1.

#DraftJeanyus

Walking into the draft with 5 picks, only 2 in the Top 100 instead of 4. No additional picks from trading Hamhuis (late first + Dano from Chicago, or even the Jokipakka + Pollock + 2nd pick from Dallas that was rebuked).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It really is looking that bad. 2016 is quite likely the worst draft in Canucks history, especially if you factor in how they wasted their high 2nd round pick in a stupid trade that was bad from day 1.

#DraftJeanyus
Wow! When you go back and look, yes, 2016 is looking awful. It wasn't just passing on Tkachuk to take Juolevi. But the Canucks didn't even have picks in rounds 2 and 4 because of the ill-advised Gudbranson trade. And if Lockwood were to go the UFA route, that's basically it.

In later rounds that year they took Cole Candella; Jacob Stukel, Brett McKenzie and the immortal Rodrogio Abols. None of them even earned a contract. I just knew a guy with a first name of 'Rodrigo' wasn't a good bet for pro hockey in NA.

You have to ask the question. How does a team with the third worst record in the entire NHL that year have a draft that bad?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So if he doesn't sign next year he is a free agent?

Yep he can just wait until Aug 15th and sign with whoever he wants—can stay in Michigan and sign with the hometown Red Wings or another major US city.

I'd count Lockwood as gone for sure at this point. If he signs with us, great, but I'd say is more likely than not he just walks as a UFA. His biggest risk though is having a poor season or getting injured, but if he has a fantastic year he'll be able to get a really favourable ELC from a team.

Reactions: canucksfan

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Because he’s a nothing player, he’s literally a worse Tyler motte

If you’re basing this off the transitive property then there’s so many arguments I could make of really good NHL players being “worse” than Motte.

Or hey, let’s discount anyone that had worse stats than Nail Yakupov in the OHL because obviously they’re worse than him.

And to quote another point you made, Lockwood is not a worse skater than Motte. You cannot say that with conviction whatsoever. Furthermore he has a lot more skill.

We’re getting spoiled with Hobey Baker winners and nominees these days and now you think you’ve gotta be on that level to be a good NHL player? Lockwood has been the best forward for Michigan for the majority of the season, and his progression so far is further than a normal 3rd rounder. And I don’t think you’d be happy just losing a third rounder for nothing.

And for the record, 31 in 35 on a bad team in the Big Ten is not “pedestrian numbers.” Thats generally way over PPG in the OHL. And yes the transitive property is better applied here, since we’re talking about the same player at the current moment.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
I think he signs in the summer
Maybe they get a late round pick for him, which let's be honest, his production based on his age, doesn't make him a good prospect, a 5th~7th pick is fair

Seriously? I know we’ve been blessed with Hobey Baker winners and nominees. But 31 in 35 on a bad team in the Big Ten where he was the only good forward for the majority of the season is really good for a guy who’s in essentially his second year of college hockey. That’s pretty easily over PPG on a normal CHL team.

And it’s not like he’s just traditional player whose skills don’t translate. His two main attributes are literally speed and skill. If there was a redraft he’d go higher than his original position, definitely not lower.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I agree that Lockwood is looking good for the position was was drafted in. And what's wrong with Motte anyway? You get a gritty utility guy with speed like Motte in the third round, that's pretty good. Any NHL player taken in the tird is a big win.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree that Lockwood is looking good for the position was was drafted in. And what's wrong with Motte anyway? You get a gritty utility guy with speed like Motte in the third round, that's pretty good. Any NHL player taken in the tird is a big win.

Ya I really don't get the Lockwood hate around here. Lockwood looks like a promising prospect to me. Of course at the end of the day if you're not getting an NHLer out of your pick it doesn't matter how promising that pick is. Heck, a 3rd round pick for the 21-22 version of Motte would have looked pretty good. A 3rd round pick for Motte now is not a good deal but if you drafted him in the 3rd round and developed him to the player he is now it's not a 100% loss. I don't see people being mad at Gaunce being a first round bust or anything.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
To hell with him. Hope he fails and never steps one bloody foot on a NHL ice :rant:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lockwood has informed the Canucks that hr is Officially going back to school for his Senior season . He hasn't told them that he doesnt want to sign tho.

We can still sign him before he becomes a UFA August tho or trade his rights

Lots of question mark tho about his shoulder.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
RIP 3rd round pick, very likely. Unfortunate, but expected. When you have a directionless cretin in charge of your organization, it's not surprising why a young player wouldn't really see it as ideal. He is smart for staying away from this tire fire.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
RIP 3rd round pick, very likely. Unfortunate, but expected. When you have a directionless cretin in charge of your organization, it's not surprising why a young player wouldn't really see it as ideal. He is smart for staying away from this tire fire.

I thought this was where things were going. Benning wanted Lockwood to go develop in ?Utica. The kid could just as easily develop at school, finish his degree, and get to UFA status. Benning gave this kid no reason to sign, which tells me Captain “not so” Clever has decided Lockwood is not going to become an NHL player.

Reactions: TruKnyte

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
With Lockwood's injury history, wouldn't it be smarter for him to take the guaranteed contract rather than risking an injury-riddled season? If I was his agent I would've advise him against going back to school. Although I obviously don't know his situation, maybe he really want to be UFA and choose his employer?

member 290103

With Lockwood's injury history, wouldn't it be smarter for him to take the guaranteed contract rather than risking an injury-riddled season? If I was his agent I would've advise him against going back to school. Although I obviously don't know his situation, maybe he really want to be UFA and choose his employer?

Honestly, would you want to play in Utica the way prospect go there and see their careers die? I'd be advising him to go back to College and find a new team too.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
If you’re basing this off the transitive property then there’s so many arguments I could make of really good NHL players being “worse” than Motte.

Or hey, let’s discount anyone that had worse stats than Nail Yakupov in the OHL because obviously they’re worse than him.

And to quote another point you made, Lockwood is not a worse skater than Motte. You cannot say that with conviction whatsoever. Furthermore he has a lot more skill.

We’re getting spoiled with Hobey Baker winners and nominees these days and now you think you’ve gotta be on that level to be a good NHL player?or even a top 9? Lockwood has been the best forward for Michigan for the majority of the season, and his progression so far is further than a normal 3rd rounder. And I don’t think you’d be happy just losing a third rounder for nothing.

And for the record, 31 in 35 on a bad team in the Big Ten is not “pedestrian numbers.” Thats generally way over PPG in the OHL. And yes the transitive property is better applied here, since we’re talking about the same player at the current moment.

Care to find me with ncaa players who had comparable careers as Lockwood and turned into impact players? The Canucks have 3rd and 4th line players, they need top 6 talent which Lockwood seems to be a lottery chance away from, so again I say, who cares.
Judging a player on where they were drafted and if they have upped their stock after 3 years isn’t a good gauge of player progression. Of course I don’t want to give away a 3rd round pick for free, but I’d give up Lockwood without losing sleep because he’s a dime a dozen player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whether Lockwood signs is meh for me....Now Adam Fox is a different story. After his senior season at Harvard, and if he elects free agency in August next season, then the Canucks need to be all over it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->