Will Kyle Clifford be re-signed or not because of this 2021 2nd round pick?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think Leafs are going to see how Clifford performs in the Columbus series and hopefully beyond in the playoffs, and reassess his signing as his rate of pay might be influenced by his impact and effectiveness.

I suspect he is really going to be finishing his checks and engaging physically and provide some pushback ability, which is the reason he was acquired.
Good post Mess, agreed. I think he is one of those players who can dial it up come playoff time.

Reactions: ACC1224

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'm indifferent to the Leafs signing Clifford or not.

What I remember most is him getting stripped of the puck from behind by a younger faster player who set up a goal five seconds later.

I don't remember any game-changing hits or fights. Maybe someone will pull up some video to remind me.

I'm fine if the Leafs sign him -- the difference between a second and a third is insignificant in comparison to the value of a bona fide NHL player -- but Kyle Clifford is not the Messiah.

It might be less about remembering a game changing hit or fight and more about the freedom it gives other Leafs players knowing he has their back. I am an old dude and used to play a decent level of hockey. It was more of a gong show back then but if you knew there was a crazy dude on the other team watching you, you stuck more to the game of hockey.
And when that guy is on your side you feel 10 lbs bigger. Kapanen might be a good example of this, he started playing a rougher brand of hockey once Clifford was inserted into the lineup.

Reactions: kb

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Ryan Reaves was just re-signed for 2 years @ 1.75 Million per

I can see Clifford getting 1.35 over 3/4 years

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Leafs can't afford that 4th line cap hit and the upgrade in pick from a 3rd to a 2nd. I think that noise we just heard was the final nail in the coffin regarding any hope of resigning Clifford.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs can't afford that 4th line cap hit and the upgrade in pick from a 3rd to a 2nd. I think that noise we just heard was the final nail in the coffin regarding any hope of resigning Clifford.
I think it’s totally doable. I’d take him at that cap hit and downgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd. There is nobody in our system that brings what he does to the lineup.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

At that price i'd let him walk and sign a Maroon-type for 900k while hanging on to the 2nd rounder.

I love the idea of bringing back Clifford, but a dime over 1.2 mill is a no-go for me.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fairly significant pay cut for Reaves on that new deal. Looks like Clifford's best season is better (1 more point in 8 fewer games). He's also been the better playoff performer. It seems like a re-signing would be tough here. I can't rule it out though given the history with Clifford and Dubas.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think it’s totally doable. I’d take him at that cap hit and downgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd. There is nobody in our system that brings what he does to the lineup.
I like Clifford more than most on here....but I suspect the cap will be just too tight.

Reactions: Menzinger

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
IMO Clifford would need to take close to league minimum to be re-signed. In turn, he would probably want to have a long-term deal (4 years probably?). I don't think it'll happen.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
IMO Clifford would need to take close to league minimum to be re-signed. In turn, he would probably want to have a long-term deal (4 years probably?). I don't think it'll happen.

As long as we can bury it on the Marlies I don't care how long it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad