Will Kyle Clifford be re-signed or not because of this 2021 2nd round pick?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Exactly. I keep seeing that the "physicality' of Columbus is going to give the Leafs fits. But in reality, their grit is small, and they really don't have much. They have no answer for Clifford, and Muzzin lowers the boom regularly. I see little to no advantage for Columbus in that department. But that's just me....I can't see Foligno being a jackass with Clifford around.

And the Leafs have it all over Columbus in the firepower department. I think the only way the Leafs lose is if Freddy bombs out.
Totally concur ... no one on Bj's can stand up to Clifford ... it always helps when you have toughest guy on ice on your squad

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
3rd round pick 2021 + Clifford @ a mil
Vs
2nd round pick 2021

Meh. I’m indifferent. As long as it’s for about a mil a year. Maybe 1.5
Same with me ... unless it is a top 5 pick in 2021 I could care less ... there are not enough NHLer's in 2021 draft ... look for Sens to pick up 5-6 NHLers in 2020 draft with 9 picks in first 3 rounds ... if they get lucky and pick up top 2 picks then they will challenge for a spot next year

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
It won’t factor in at all.

It simply comes down to what Clifford is willing to accept. Leafs can really only, and probably should only go to an AAV of say 1.25M for how ever many of years (say 3, front loaded?).

Clifford could get more in free agency, but he seems pretty interested in staying in Toronto for a while.

This is the truth of the matter. Signing him will depend on how he weighs playing for the Leafs vs hitting a bigger payday elsewhere. There are def teams out there that would be willing to pay him more.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Kyle Clifford is not washed or offers nothing more than some knuckles here and there. The guy is in shape,gets around good,still young and is worth $1,250,000 if Engvall is worth that.
I would take Clifford every day @ same money as Engvall if it came down to that.
So to me he is more a need than Engvall.

I agree with all of this except the last part. Engvall has quite a bit of offensive upside still, and that's expensive to replace in UFA.

I do agree that they are both valued around that 1.25 mark, though. If Cliff gets north of 2m, I see that as a worse cap error than the Marner/Matthews deals.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I just wish it didn’t cost Moore and 2 picks to fix Dubas’ mistakes.

We brought in a capable backup and Matt Martin 2.0.

Both of whom we had before Dubas let both walk.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I just wish it didn’t cost Moore and 2 picks to fix Dubas’ mistakes.

We brought in a capable backup and Matt Martin 2.0.

Both of whom we had before Dubas let both walk.
He definitely messed up by letting McElhinny go, but the fact of the matter is we'd be trading assets to replace him either this off season or in the near future, with him being 37 years old. Campbell is significantly younger, and arguably better.

Matt Martin was making 2.5 Million/Season, we can't afford that on our 4th line (we can barely afford to pay 3rd liners that much), especially considering that he can't kill penalties. Clifford is two years younger, was brought in making one million less than Martin, and has been able to slot in on the third line when needed, and has been known to kill penalties.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He definitely messed up by letting McElhinny go, but the fact of the matter is we'd be trading assets to replace him either this off season or in the near future, with him being 37 years old. Campbell is significantly younger, and arguably better.

Matt Martin was making 2.5 Million/Season, we can't afford that on our 4th line (we can barely afford to pay 3rd liners that much), especially considering that he can't kill penalties. Clifford is two years younger, was brought in making one million less than Martin, and has been able to slot in on the third line when needed, and has been known to kill penalties.

Clifford’s salary is indeed better than Martins.

However, it’s pay up time. Does Dubas pay up or make a mistake and opt to take physicality off the roster again?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

there's always plenty of b/u ufa goalies available each off season so no we wouldn't have had to give up assets to replace McBackup

and Clifford is a ufa but i guess giving up assets for a 8 min a game 4th line rental winger is fine as long as the Dube does it unlike all the whining about LL bringing in 4th line C's at the t/d

i don't understand the never ending excuses for Dubas , it's like people believe their defending the honor of the team and forget he's just an employee

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Clifford is a better player outside of physicality than Martin too

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I say we wait and see what Kyle has in a playoff series. We can talk about the Shanaplan and Dubas and contracts and grit vs skill all day long.... I for one LOVE the skill the Leafs bring, they can match anyone in that department. We've been missing that element the last few playoffs. Many players have transformed into beasts in the playoffs, and if we get lucky and he can bring some skill and the right amount of terror and make the skilled guys play 5% bigger, mission accomplished.

member 300185

The impending expansion draft hurts his value - a one-year deal isn't a great return for the 2nd round pick, and I can't imagine the Leafs will want to protect his rights when Seattle enters the league. Unfortunately I don't think he's worth it, and I can't wait to watch HF Leafs lose their mind when we use the 2nd round pick on a 5'9" overage defenseman.

Edit: Never mind - I didn't see the post above, so my argument is about as useful as a Melnyk IOU
I read that and instantly blew coffee through my nose. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

member 300185

The issue isn't if Clifford is worth a 2nd round pick, its if he is worth the difference between a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. He definitely is. He adds an element of toughness that Leafs desperately need.

Depending on his ask, Leafs will re-sign him.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs should re-sign him. He brings a physical and intimidating presence that the Leafs sorely lack. Plus, he and Muzzin could flash their rings to remind their teammates what they're missing out on.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
there's always plenty of b/u ufa goalies available each off season so no we wouldn't have had to give up assets to replace McBackup

and Clifford is a ufa but i guess giving up assets for a 8 min a game 4th line rental winger is fine as long as the Dube does it unlike all the whining about LL bringing in 4th line C's at the t/d

i don't understand the never ending excuses for Dubas , it's like people believe their defending the honor of the team and forget he's just an employee

The back-up situation is set for 2 years. Clifford is either going to fix the toughness issue for a few years if we sign him, or we don't pay a 2nd.

If Dubas paid a 2nd for 20 games of Clifford, let him walk, and then paid another 2nd for 20 more games of a 4th line grinder, and then let him walk too, you might have a point about LL.

Spending assets isn't a bad thing when the thing you buy with them fills a hole for at least a season or two. If you have a burst pipe in your house, Lou would keep buying buckets to put under the leak, Dubas has so far at least called a plumber for the same money.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It has been a while since we have had a Clifford type on our team.

All season Clifford goes up and down the wing and protects team mates. But you can't play 82 games like it is a playoff game.
Once playoffs hits his intensity and nastyness cranks up to every shift and it rubs off on everyone...just wait and see folks.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm indifferent to the Leafs signing Clifford or not.

What I remember most is him getting stripped of the puck from behind by a younger faster player who set up a goal five seconds later.

I don't remember any game-changing hits or fights. Maybe someone will pull up some video to remind me.

I'm fine if the Leafs sign him -- the difference between a second and a third is insignificant in comparison to the value of a bona fide NHL player -- but Kyle Clifford is not the Messiah.

Reactions: baton elevated

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
these comments about the legendary intimidation of Kyle Clifford are absolutely ridiculous. Nobody on the Jackets is scared of Kyle Clifford.

Reactions: baton elevated

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
these comments about the legendary intimidation of Kyle Clifford are absolutely ridiculous. Nobody on the Jackets is scared of Kyle Clifford.
Who says they have to be scared. They just have to know he will clean them out physically and feel the sting when he dials them in when they are going for a puck in the corner etc. He’s a clean player that plays physical and if you don’t like it he seems to handle himself good.
If clifford comes back on a new contract and plays exact way for a few years its good for the play and the room. He’s a quality person don’t forget. They absolutely liked him in L.A.
He doesn’t have to be more like players in our bottom six after all, they need to be more like him. He doesn’t hurt you when he is out there.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Leafs are going to see how Clifford performs in the Columbus series and hopefully beyond in the playoffs, and reassess his signing as his rate of pay might be influenced by his impact and effectiveness.

I suspect he is really going to be finishing his checks and engaging physically and provide some pushback ability, which is the reason he was acquired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad