NBA Will Kawhi Leonard re-sign with the Toronto Raptors?

Will KL re-sign with Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I go back and forth. I hope he re-signs, but he plays his cards close to the vest, and I have no idea what he;s thinking.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I've always said I think he'll do a 3 year deal, or a 2 year deal w/ a player option for year 3.

It'll bring him to 30, so should he want to leave the team aye that point he'll still be in a position to make a lot of $$$ while still being an effective player.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
It'll be a 1+1 contract so he can see how Masai deals with the exodus of Gasol/Lowry/Powell/Ibaka. Lots of cap space to work with, but a lack of top free agents next year. Masai will have his work cut out for him.

Reactions: Avs_19

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If the Raptors win the Championship, he stays.............if they lose he is probably gone...it's that close.
He should stay but I don't know if he will though. On the plus side in Toronto's favour, Kawhi is as Canadian as it gets in his mentality towards the game, he is a team first guy. I never get tired of hearing what he has to say and how he says it. Today's athlete is all about self but Kawhi is different than all of that, he is a throwback kind of guy. He is so understated in his tone and approach but yet is able to go out on the court and be the backbone of everything but yet remains so humble, it is a match made in heaven. It's the same with Siakam, such a quality human being and the same with Lowry, they have a chance to have something special in Toronto and I hope that it all works out in the end.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He won't go to New York, he's from Los Angeles, unless he gets a great contract from Toronto, he's going to Los Angeles.
He is perfect for the Toronto market and he should stay, they will do whatever it takes to keep him, he is a God in Canada right now. Us Canadians love the understated hero, the quiet superstar that "brings it" and never forgets those around him. I love the player and it would be a shame if he leaves.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
unless he gets a great contract from Toronto, he's going to Los Angeles
Toronto's literally going to give him a blank cheque,

__________(years) X _________ (million dollars)

________________(signature)

"Here Kawhi, if you like Toronto, fill in the blanks. We'll take you as long as you like!"

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
If the Raptors win the Championship, he stays.............if they lose he is probably gone...it's that close.
I actually think Kawhi stays if they lose but he could leave if they win. If they win Kawhi can just be like “oh well my work here is done,” whereas if they lose, it would be much harder for him to walk out the door just like that. Anyone that goes through a run like this just to fall a bit short would wanna come back and redeem themselves.

jabelskey

JAX, FL - SHARKS WATCH ANYONE?!
Nov 27, 2018
He'll probably join the GSW after the Raptors lose this series, if you cant beat them, join them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Toronto's literally going to give him a blank cheque,

__________(years) X _________ (million dollars)

________________(signature)

"Here Kawhi, if you like Toronto, fill in the blanks. We'll take you as long as you like!"

What's the max contract?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It'll be a 1+1 contract so he can see how Masai deals with the exodus of Gasol/Lowry/Powell/Ibaka. Lots of cap space to work with, but a lack of top free agents next year. Masai will have his work cut out for him.

This makes the most sense if he stays. Either he stays to defend the championship or because they were close and Masai could make a move or two to help push them over the edge. Then he'll become a FA again next year with the rest of the core.

What's the max contract?

Around 5 years, $190M if he signs with Toronto and 4 years, $140-145M if he signs elsewhere.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Just too much smoke around the Clippers. He bought the big 13 million dollar house in San Diego. Clippers management apparently been hanging around all year, including the billionaire owner, with various front office staff regularly showing up so his camp knows their interest. Doc getting fined last week for talking about a player under contract elsewhere. Now the latest blast... Kawhi suing Nike for the rights to his Claw Logo, but NOT BEFORE the Clippers tried to buy it from Nike and were apparently going to "give it to him" if he signed. Curious.

Hope he stays and yes he'd be royalty in Canada but dayum, look at that house.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just too much smoke around the Clippers. He bought the big 13 million dollar house in San Diego. Clippers management apparently been hanging around all year, including the billionaire owner, with various front office staff regularly showing up so his camp knows their interest. Doc getting fined last week for talking about a player under contract elsewhere. Now the latest blast... Kawhi suing Nike for the rights to his Claw Logo, but NOT BEFORE the Clippers tried to buy it from Nike and were apparently going to "give it to him" if he signed. Curious.

This one hasn't been confirmed but FWIW, today there's a rumour he purchased property in Toronto as well:

The “he stay” movement received a big shot in the arm last week when David Thorpe of TrueHoop claimed that his sources confirmed that Leonard is planning to return to the Raptors ‘at least on a short-term deal.’

That speculation gathered more momentum on Monday morning, when Thorpe was a guest on the Toronto radio 1050 with Michael Landsberg.

In speaking about the contract situation, Landsberg let it slip that some of his ‘sources’ had some feel-good information of their own.

“What we’ve heard is that he has purchased property in Toronto.” Landsberg claimed. “That is - if you’re looking at signs and suggestions that he’s going to say - if you’re leaving Toronto, it’s not like you’re saying ‘I want to buy property to live in Toronto, I want to come there during the summers.’ We’ve heard this now from two different sources indicating that there’s something there.”

Kawhi Leonard rumours reach the real estate world

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Buying a house in San Diego is no sign of signing in LA. That commute would be ridiculous to make every day, why wouldn't he just buy a house in LA?

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He is perfect for the Toronto market and he should stay, they will do whatever it takes to keep him, he is a God in Canada right now. Us Canadians love the understated hero, the quiet superstar that "brings it" and never forgets those around him. I love the player and it would be a shame if he leaves.

Kawhi is a god in Canada in a way he'd never be beloved in LA

Toronto not Canada.

As someone who lives in Canada but not Toronto I can tell you the vast majority of people here do not care about him at all.

As Kawhi no reason for him to re-sign in Toronto. They don't offer him a chance to win the title and it is a terrible place to live. He does seem like an odd guy though so who knows what he will do. The only thing that seems certain is anyone saying they know what he will do or reading into housing purchases are likely to be completely wrong.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Toronto not Canada.

As someone who lives in Canada but not Toronto I can tell you the vast majority of people here do not care about him at all.

As Kawhi no reason for him to re-sign in Toronto. They don't offer him a chance to win the title and it is a terrible place to live. He does seem like an odd guy though so who knows what he will do. The only thing that seems certain is anyone saying they know what he will do or reading into housing purchases are likely to be completely wrong.

Although it's not like L.A. would offer him a better chance. In the East, he can be the best player in that conference. In the West, he'd be another All Star in a conference almost overflowing with elite talent.

At best, the Clippers with Kawhi might be the 3rd-4th best team in the West.

If he stays, TOR won't fall that far off behind MIL/PHI/BOS

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Toronto not Canada.

As someone who doesnt live in toronto you are talking out of your ass.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Although it's not like L.A. would offer him a better chance. In the East, he can be the best player in that conference. In the West, he'd be another All Star in a conference almost overflowing with elite talent.

At best, the Clippers with Kawhi might be the 3rd-4th best team in the West.

If he stays, TOR won't fall that far off behind MIL/PHI/BOS

This is by far the best chance TO has of winning and they needed an absolute fluke shot to beat Philly and Milwaukee choking as bad as any team I can remember to win that series. Now they are facing GS without the best player in the league and only managed a split at home.

Boston, Philly and Milwaukee are all getting better and no reason to think TO will. He isn't the best player in the East now (Giannis) and won't be going forward.

Reactions: Scotty Pucks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad