NBA Will Kawhi Leonard re-sign with the Toronto Raptors?

Will KL re-sign with Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jerry West makes things interesting but Ujiri has certainly entered the upper echelon of NBA execs so it makes for a compelling debate. I think the fact that he's been able to find guys like Siakam, Powell and VanVleet either late in the draft or off the UDFA market is a big thing, he can build a team without tanking or selling assets.

True. Masai is one of the best in the NBA. Looking back though, it's kind of funny how this Raptors run started after he actually tried to tank for Wiggins. They agreed to trade Lowry to the Knicks for a 1st round pick but Dolan vetoed it because he didn't want Masai to get one over him again, like the Melo trade the Knicks were ridiculed for. They also traded Gay back when people still thought he was good for some random pieces to jump start the tank but that actually helped the team get better. Again, Masai's great but just like we've seen with the Warriors as well, you also need some luck along the way.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Clippers FO isn't as bad as you think. Once Doc stepped down as GM things swung completely in the opposite direction. Not to mention they have Jerry West pulling the strings.

Certainly in better shape then the other burning dumpster fire of an LA team across the hallway from them at Staples.

But in the West, the Clippers even without Kawhi would be at best third in the conference.

In the East, he can be the best player in the conferece.

He'd get lost in the West shuffle.

Reactions: Voight

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The only way he goes is if he is committed to playing near home in a warm climate and that's all that matters.

Raptors can offer as good or better basketball situation than any other team. Fantastic GM, fantastic fans, owners that will spend money, great chance at the finals year in year out. Lakers are a gong show, and while the Clippers are on the up and up now, they're still not a better pure basketball situation than Toronto yet.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Clippers FO isn't as bad as you think. Once Doc stepped down as GM things swung completely in the opposite direction. Not to mention they have Jerry West pulling the strings.

Certainly in better shape then the other burning dumpster fire of an LA team across the hallway from them at Staples.

Absolutely, wasn't even really a shot and they're much preferable to the Lakers. But if Masai trading DeRozan makes him trust that FO less then the Clippers trading Griffin six months after they held a fake jersey retirement ceremony for him probably doesn't look great.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Why would he?

Sure there is loyalty but he probably heads out west. This is Toronto's last chance. They went all in for the East this year and credit to them they won it. But it was based heavily on Kawhi playing his ass off in a contract year. If he leaves Toronto is ****ed. Maybe he likes the city and stays but I don't see it.
The why is easy. The Raptors have done anything and everything possible both on and off the court. World class city, world class organization, world class facilities, world class medical staff... They’re well managed from the top down, bright young coach with a good team, a great mix of veterans with young talent... He really couldn’t be in a much better basketball situation. Nobody could ever fault MLSE for not giving the Raptors everything they need.

The question is how much all that matters vs his distaste of cold weather and apparent desire to live in Los Angeles year-round.

The one variable I hadn’t accounted for was the overall reception from the city. He’s the new 6ix god, and adoration affects people. :laugh: That ‘Ka’Wine n dine’ thing is pretty cool and I’d bet it gets a few more participants before the finals are over.

The regular season is a grind and he spends his off season in LA... but can you think of a better place in the world than springtime in Toronto, with the Raptors in the finals? :D

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The question is how much all that matters vs his distaste of cold weather and apparent desire to live in Los Angeles year-round.

The one variable I hadn’t accounted for was the overall reception from the city. He’s the new 6ix god, and adoration affects people. :laugh: That ‘Ka’Wine n dine’ thing is pretty cool and I’d bet it gets a few more participants before the finals are over.

The regular season is a grind and he spends his off season in LA... but can you think of a better place in the world than springtime in Toronto, with the Raptors in the finals? :D

What's funny about Leonard is that he's not one for trappings and adulation.

There's literally nothing I think Toronto can do to help their case for re-signing in any way.

He's already made up his mind, and I suspect he'll be in a different uniform come next season.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What's funny about Leonard is that he's not one for trappings and adulation.

There's literally nothing I think Toronto can do to help their case for re-signing in any way.

He's already made up his mind, and I suspect he'll be in a different uniform come next season.
Yeah, he definitely doesn’t crave the spotlight from the media, but everyone likes to be appreciated

He never would have left the Spurs if something didn’t go wrong. He only ever wanted to be moved because they pushed him to play injured (we think) ... out of left field come the Raptors who never would have been an option, and they’re an almost perfect fit... but they’re in the North East, so winters suck.

The desire to go to LA could have solely come from the falling out in SA. Now that he’s healthy and competing for a championship, he might like where he ended up?

Reactions: Voight

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah, he definitely doesn’t crave the spotlight from the media, but everyone likes to be appreciated

He never would have left the Spurs if something didn’t go wrong. He only ever wanted to be moved because they pushed him to play injured (we think) ... out of left field come the Raptors who never would have been an option, and they’re an almost perfect fit... but they’re in the North East, so winters suck.

The desire to go to LA could have solely come from the falling out in SA. Now that he’s healthy and competing for a championship, he might like where he ended up?
This keeps my cautiously optimistic.

Everyone thinks he wants to go to LA because that's what he said, fair enough. The context makes it different though. At the time he had decided he was leaving SA and clearly didn't want to go back there, so he said he wanted to play in LA because if he had his choice of any city that's where he wanted to go. Now, after a year playing for the Raptors where everything basketball wise basically went perfect (except haven't won a title yet), is that enough to have changed his mind? Nobody knows the answer to that.

Either way I will always be a fan and respect how he played his ass off for the Raptors instead of pouting or not showing up like many reporters said.

Reactions: sparxx87

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
All I know is that there's no way Kawhi is signing with the Knicks or Lakers. Nobody knows much about the guy, but from what we do know, he hates drama and just wants to play basketball. That's not happening with either of those franchises, regardless of Lebron and potentially, KD.

I think Toronto's done everything right when it comes to keeping him:

1. Built a gameplan around his health. Alex McKechnie is the best in the business, and load management might be the thing that keeps him in Toronto. Kawhi has always said he wants two things: to stay healthy and to win. He left San Antonio because he thought they were mishandling his injury, Toronto's done anything but.

2. They've won.

Does he stay? Who knows. But it's as likely as him going to the Clippers, IMO, especially since there's that extra $50 million they can offer.

People keep saying weather... but I don't believe Kawhi actually cares about weather.

1. Health
2. Trust
3. Winning

Those are the three things.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
All I know is that there's no way Kawhi is signing with the Knicks or Lakers. Nobody knows much about the guy, but from what we do know, he hates drama and just wants to play basketball. That's not happening with either of those franchises, regardless of Lebron and potentially, KD.

I think Toronto's done everything right when it comes to keeping him:

1. Built a gameplan around his health. Alex McKechnie is the best in the business, and load management might be the thing that keeps him in Toronto. Kawhi has always said he wants two things: to stay healthy and to win. He left San Antonio because he thought they were mishandling his injury, Toronto's done anything but.

2. They've won.

Does he stay? Who knows. But it's as likely as him going to the Clippers, IMO, especially since there's that extra $50 million they can offer.

People keep saying weather... but I don't believe Kawhi actually cares about weather.

1. Health
2. Trust
3. Winning

Those are the three things.

He's also mentioned that family is everything.. and he's not near any of them in TO. I really hop he stays, but I wouldn't be on it.. Maybe a 1 year deal like others have said, which coincides with Lowry and Gasol being done.

I do hope you're right though and he stays, as Canadian basketball is on the rise (#1 overalls from here and tons of up and coming talent) and having a guy like Kawhi would have us pumping out even more talent since he'd be a lot of young kids hero.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Would be nice if he stuck around at least another year. Toronto will have Lowry and Gasol under contract for that long.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
True. Masai is one of the best in the NBA. Looking back though, it's kind of funny how this Raptors run started after he actually tried to tank for Wiggins. They agreed to trade Lowry to the Knicks for a 1st round pick but Dolan vetoed it because he didn't want Masai to get one over him again, like the Melo trade the Knicks were ridiculed for. They also traded Gay back when people still thought he was good for some random pieces to jump start the tank but that actually helped the team get better. Again, Masai's great but just like we've seen with the Warriors as well, you also need some luck along the way.

I was thinking about the Lowry veto the other day. Crazy how Dolan's obsession with being hands on propelled the Raptors to the leagues elite and started the best run in team history.

I think he was also pissed he gave up a 1st for Bargnani :laugh:

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I was thinking about the Lowry veto the other day. Crazy how Dolan's obsession with being hands on propelled the Raptors to the leagues elite and started the best run in team history.

I think he was also pissed he gave up a 1st for Bargnani :laugh:

I forgot about Primo Pasta. That might've actually been more of a reason than the Melo trade.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
He's also mentioned that family is everything.. and he's not near any of them in TO. I really hop he stays, but I wouldn't be on it.. Maybe a 1 year deal like others have said, which coincides with Lowry and Gasol being done.

I do hope you're right though and he stays, as Canadian basketball is on the rise (#1 overalls from here and tons of up and coming talent) and having a guy like Kawhi would have us pumping out even more talent since he'd be a lot of young kids hero.

A one year deal is way too risky for him, he's not a tank like Lebron, his body already needs to be managed with 15 to 20 games of rest per year.

As for the game in Canada, this run has already guaranteed at least a solid generation of young upcoming talents picking up the game. And it's not over yet.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A one year deal is way too risky for him, he's not a tank like Lebron, his body already needs to be managed with 15 to 20 games of rest per year.

As for the game in Canada, this run has already guaranteed at least a solid generation of young upcoming talents picking up the game. And it's not over yet.

Especially after Carter kick started the Murray/Wiggins/Barrett etc era of young guys

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I wonder how much load management will factor into Kawhi's decision. Will the Clippers be willing to management his games? More importantly, will the Clippers not have a drop off in the games Kawhi sits if they adopt load management? I think Toronto's most influential selling point will be how they have managed his health while also still being competitive in the games he sits.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If the Raptors win the Championship, he stays.............if they lose he is probably gone...it's that close.

If anything, them winning the title means he's gone. He can look around and say "well i came here to do what they wanted me to," pack up, leave for a new city and still be forever loved as the guy who brought the title to Toronto.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Well, I’m not sure what to make of that.

Edit: Apparently that’s his sister, and his uncle is the voice in the background, saying he won’t be back.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Well, I’m not sure what to make of that.

Edit: Apparently that’s his sister, and his uncle is the voice in the background, saying he won’t be back.

Wasn't this like...instantly disputed by her?

Slayton, who deleted the video, says the voice people heard saying “they know darn well that he ain’t gonna be here next year” belonged to a Raptors hater. She tried to explain the situation in some responses to fans on Instagram Sunday.

“I was watching the game and a hater was mad the whole game … When we won, I WENT LIVE and who ever he was said what he said simple as that,” Slayton wrote to one fan.

Whether it's true...I don't know but yeah.

Unless I missed some new news about this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->