NBA Will Kawhi Leonard re-sign with the Toronto Raptors?

Will KL re-sign with Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Whatever happens, Toronto has gone about this whole thing perfectly. There was a large group of people who thought Leonard wouldn’t even report to the Raptors after the trade. Now it’s talked about as a possibility that he re-signs.

They respected him as an individual and didn’t even hurt the team doing so. In fact when he sat, they put the ball in Siakam’s hands and look at him now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Although you're wrong about the talent (Giannis, Kawhi, Butler, Embiid, Kyrie, Durant this summer?), if the Warriors weren't losing guys, the East is the place to get to the finals without playing them, the Rockets, or the future team Denver. Americans who play in Canada get screwed on taxes also.

Lol Rockets.

& California IIRC has very similar tax rates to Canada, Curry gets paid $44 million this year but walks away with less than 20. Plus players get paid in American dollars so once they convert to Canadian they come out ahead.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

FWIW, both Lowe and Arnovitz talked about the Raptors having a real chance to keep Kawhi. Lowe did say he wouldn't go over 30% for the Raptors but it's more than people think and he doesn't agree with all the talk of Kawhi being a 90-100% lock to the Clippers. Arnovitz added that he'd put the Clippers odds at considerably less than 70%.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Tough to get any read on a guy like him. I said no because he could literally go anywhere he wants. Just hope Raps fans don't boo the guy if he does decide to leave. Should be getting a standing ovation after what he's done this season.

Reactions: Eye Test

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Tough to get any read on a guy like him. I said no because he could literally go anywhere he wants. Just hope Raps fans don't boo the guy if he does decide to leave. Should be getting a standing ovation after what he's done this season.

He won't get booed. When he was traded here a lot of people thought he didn't want to be here and he could have sulked but instead has been incredible. We're lucky to have him even if it's just for this season. I voted yes because I'm hopeful.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I hope he stays, but the more I look into it the more I think he signs with the Clippers. I REALLY hope Toronto beats the Warriors. At least then what they gave up would be worth it.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Given the conversion rate, he could stand to earn up to 30% more in his first year if he turns it into Cad and waits for the exchange rate to hit about equal value.

Unless there’s some restriction preventing that I’m not aware of :P

Actually he could do that anywhere. But he only spend in CAD if he stay.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Whatever happens, Toronto has gone about this whole thing perfectly. There was a large group of people who thought Leonard wouldn’t even report to the Raptors after the trade. Now it’s talked about as a possibility that he re-signs.

They respected him as an individual and didn’t even hurt the team doing so. In fact when he sat, they put the ball in Siakam’s hands and look at him now.
They respect Kawhi because he is a superstar worthy of a max deal. What team wouldn't cater to Leonard.
Real question is if Leonard trusts the Toronto GM.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I could see him signing a 1 year extension that staggers with Lowry and Gasol's deals.

I was thinking the same thing. Toronto would roll through the East next year and he gets another run at the title. After that he signs wherever he wants.

Reactions: Voight

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I was thinking the same thing. Toronto would roll through the East next year and he gets another run at the title. After that he signs wherever he wants.

May as well make a run at signing Klay for a year and load it up for a one year run in that scenario.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They respect Kawhi because he is a superstar worthy of a max deal. What team wouldn't cater to Leonard.
Real question is if Leonard trusts the Toronto GM.

I dont see why he wouldnt. Ujiri has a ton of respect around the league.

Yea theres the whole DeRozan thing but I'm sure Leonard knows literally anyone would have made that trade.

Sep 19, 2008
Why would he?

Sure there is loyalty but he probably heads out west. This is Toronto's last chance. They went all in for the East this year and credit to them they won it. But it was based heavily on Kawhi playing his ass off in a contract year. If he leaves Toronto is f***ed. Maybe he likes the city and stays but I don't see it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Clippers FO isn't as bad as you think. Once Doc stepped down as GM things swung completely in the opposite direction. Not to mention they have Jerry West pulling the strings.

Certainly in better shape then the other burning dumpster fire of an LA team across the hallway from them at Staples.

Reactions: Gecklund and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jerry West makes things interesting but Ujiri has certainly entered the upper echelon of NBA execs so it makes for a compelling debate. I think the fact that he's been able to find guys like Siakam, Powell and VanVleet either late in the draft or off the UDFA market is a big thing, he can build a team without tanking or selling assets.

Reactions: sparxx87 and Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad