NBA Will Kawhi Leonard re-sign with the Toronto Raptors?

Will KL re-sign with Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That 13 million dollar house in California is nowhere near Los Angeles though. So it's moot. Of course i wouldn't expect someone who thinks Kan Griffey Jr isn't a hall of famer to use logic.

Back on topic; I have a feeling he does. If he sticks around he has the chance to be the face of not only an entire franchise, but basically an entire country. The Raptors are in a great spot to compete going forward as the only guy that could decline in the near future is Lowry.

He kinda strikes me as a Paul George. Tried to force his way out of what he deemed to be a crappy situation, ends up in a place he probably didn't want to go to, ends up actually liking the place and re-upping long term.

What?

629.gif

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Are you capable of producing anything besides stupid takes? Asking for a friend.

I guess that championship LeBron won in 2016 is tainted because he played in the East, even though he went through the statistically the greatest team in NBA history to win it, right?
Well first, the West is completely more competitive in 2019 then it was in 2016.

So right there........

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You realize the 13 million dollar house is two hours from Staples centre, right? Unless you’re also suggesting he’ll commute 2 hours from San Diego?

Player buys house where he spends the offseason with his family. Shocking. He bought a house in Toronto, too. What does that mean?

A championship is tainted by beating arguably the greatest team ever assembled in the Golden State Warriors? Interesting perspective.

You should keep your hot takes limited to Lauri Markkanen, at least those were funny. It’s tough to wind people up when you’ve got all the facts wrong.
Hmm, lemme just point out the obvious first.

When Kawhi was traded, he didn't choose to go to.....Toronto, he was banished there. Of course he's buying a house there.

But, he just spent 13 million on a house where, get this, he actually wants to live.

There is no indication Kawhi wants to stay in Canada, who would blame him if he left? He doesn't owe the Raptors anything but this year and rightly so. The Spurs shipped him off to NBA Siberia on account of everything that transpired last year as punishment and the Raptors were suckers for falling for it.

Two hours from the Staple center? Is that too long to drive for a max contract now? Lol

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

When Kawhi was traded, he didn't choose to go to.....Toronto, he was banished there. Of course he's buying a house there.

But, he just spent 13 million on a house where, get this, he actually wants to live.

There is no indication Kawhi wants to stay in Canada, who would blame him if he left? He doesn't owe the Raptors anything but this year and rightly so. The Spurs shipped him off to NBA Siberia on account of everything that transpired last year as punishment and the Raptors were suckers for falling for it.

Two hours from the Staple center? Is that too long to drive for a max contract now? Lol
Banished? Lol

Actually, it’s far from a formality that players purchase a house. Often times, probably more often than not, they either lease a condo or long term rental at one of the luxury hotels downtown. Players that sign long term are more inclined to purchase. While it doesn’t mean anything, it seemed odd of Kawhi based on what’s typical of the situation.

The Spurs took the best offer. The Raptors went for broke to get a significantly better player on a team that’d reached its ceiling. A rebuild was on the horizon anyway. Whether it started with Lowry/Derozan’s inevitable departure after another failure, or going for broke with a move like this, that core wasn’t going to get the job done. This years version at least has a better chance.

2 hours from work is an unreasonable commute for a pro athlete. You’re implying his purchase is an indicator of where he also wants to work next year but that’s only relevant if the home is in close proximity to Staples.

You calling Toronto Siberia only further speaks to your ignorance. The thoughts towards Toronto as an NBA market have shifted over the past few years. The team has been good, city is world class, organization is well run with top flight facilities, rolling in cash, and the fan base is arguably the best in the league. Your opinion is from 2005.

I’m still not overly optimistic he’ll stay, but if you’ve been paying attention there’s certainly more reason now than ever. It’s gone almost as good as the Raptors could have hoped to this point.

Reactions: Voight

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He bought the house in San Diego for his family. This isn't an uncommon thing for pro athletes who grew up poor to do.

I'm presuming him gone. 2019 nba champs or bust.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

LeBron brought a house in LA 4 years before he signed there. When you make millions, you can literally live anywhere you want. Kawhi is from LA and went to SD State, no f'n shit he'd buy a house there. A lot of players, Aldridge being another one, choose to make their off season home separate from where they live during the season, a lot of them choose SoCal because of the exposure/weather/lifestyle.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
(Looks and sees where LeBron plays now once his contract ran out in Cleveland.......)

Yea.... 4 years after he bought the house. Not 5 months. There is a BIG list of NBA players who live in SoCal. Heres one - Simmons. Is he ditching the 76ers and going to the Clips/Lakers when his contract ends ?

Anyhow if the Lakers get AD it becomes a lot easier for the Raps to sign Kawhi.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think he re-ups, but on a short-term contract. 2 more years with a player option in 2020. At the end of those 2 years he's eligible for big money in Toronto, but he's not locked down to the franchise for at least another two years.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yea.... 4 years after he bought the house. Not 5 months. There is a BIG list of NBA players who live in SoCal. Heres one - Simmons. Is he ditching the 76ers and going to the Clips/Lakers when his contract ends ?

Anyhow if the Lakers get AD it becomes a lot easier for the Raps to sign Kawhi.

Lakers don't have the space for 2 new max players right?

Just 1 + MLE?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think he re-ups, but on a short-term contract. 2 more years with a player option in 2020. At the end of those 2 years he's eligible for big money in Toronto, but he's not locked down to the franchise for at least another two years.

I wouldn't be stunned if that's what happens. Lowry, Ibaka and JV are all free agents after next year, with Siakam as your big RFA.

Only OG, and Powell and committed on the books past next summer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

This is what Ive been saying. A 2 year + player option deal would bring him to just around 30 where hes still young enough to get a max deal. At that point Lowry will be past his prime and Kawhi can see what kind of moves Ujiri makes.

Lakers don't have the space for 2 new max players right?

Just 1 + MLE?

Yea they only have 1 max contract slot, which they have no issues using for Davis. Now in 2020 if he signed for cheap they could possibly fit another star in but until them it'd be him & LeBron.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Bump

Now after making the greatest shot in raptors history, do you think he has more incentive to return?

I personally do.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
It's moot?

Hahahahaha

He just spent 13 million dollars to be there half a year.....wait, I gotta catch my breath.

Last time I checked, there's four teams in Cali that he can pick and choose from. He got shipped to Canada as punishment, there's no way he's staying in a baby soft East when the real men all play in the West. Nobody wants a tainted championship on their resume.

But you have to beat the "men" from the West to win a "tainted" Championship.

You're not making any sense. If anything, winning a Championship in the East would be the exact oppose of tainted, as opposed to joining a Western team to make it easier.

The mind truly boggles.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bump

Now after making the greatest shot in raptors history, do you think he has more incentive to return?

I personally do.

I think it reassured him they have a crazy fanbase that really embraces its players. DeRozan is half the player he is and fans wanted to riot when he was traded. A lot of passion for the team, even in a hockey town.

Lol he's not staying. He has more money to be made in LA.

In what sense? Raptors can offer him to most lucrative contract. He already has his shoe deal, which doesnt really change based on the market/team. As for outside revenue like ads and media, he doesnt seem to care about any of that. He just wants to play ball.

Sep 19, 2008
I like what he's done for Toronto this year but I can't see him re-signing. All the talent remains in the West. He is going West.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Although you're wrong about the talent (Giannis, Kawhi, Butler, Embiid, Kyrie, Durant this summer?), if the Warriors weren't losing guys, the East is the place to get to the finals without playing them, the Rockets, or the future team Denver. Americans who play in Canada get screwed on taxes also.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
Although you're wrong about the talent (Giannis, Kawhi, Butler, Embiid, Kyrie, Durant this summer?), if the Warriors weren't losing guys, the East is the place to get to the finals without playing them, the Rockets, or the future team Denver. Americans who play in Canada get screwed on taxes also.

4 out of those 6 are playing in the West next season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think it depends on ow they do against the Bucks. If they smoke them he will see the opportunity to make the finals for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->