Speculation: Will Jarmo attempt to trade Seth Jones if unable to re-sign?

What do you think will happen ?

• Total voters

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Speaking of Horton this aged well

NATHAN HORTON TO COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS: SEVEN YEARS, $5.3 MILLION CAP HIT

Analysis: The cap hit isn’t horrible, but seven years is a long time to employ Horton. There’s the injuries to begin with and it sounds like his shoulder surgery will prevent him from starting the season in Columbus, but the Jackets targeted the powerful winger and won the race. Putting him in a top-six with Marian Gaborik is a tantalizing proposition and Columbus is the quiet market Horton desired. On the flip side, is it a black flag that an NHLer doesn’t want pressure on him? The Jackets are rising and Horton will help, but for how long – and whether he’ll justify the contract – remains to be seen. - RK

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
A team that had been in the league for 20 years, was fighting for a playoff spot at the time and had yet to win a playoff series i its history is suddenly in a position to go for it.

Ok.
Yes, especially because of the very things you cite.

St. Louis won the cup last year. They had been in the league 50+/- years, with no Cup. They made a few finals in their early years BECAUSE THEIR CONFERENCE WERE ALL THE EXPANSION TEAMS - they were fodder for one of the established teams. Fast forward to last year - STLB were DEAD LAST in January. They had not done much in the playoffs in years immediately preceding 2018-19 season.
They did not have Panarin, Duchenne and Bob. Somehow, they won it.
So, Yes, go for it. We would have gotten picks for Panarin, or a combination of lesser players, but not one dynamic player like Panarin in return.
I hated the result of the Boston series; I am fine with taking the chance.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What is with this fanbase's absurd obsession with astronomically unlikely doomsday scenarios?

Honestly, it's annoying. The average hockey fan who knows f***-all about Columbus thinks better of our chances than this. It's like we've got a population of anti-homers or something.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Jesus this is a bad take bud. IF you dont see the difference in wanting to play for a perennial playoff team vs a new losing franchise, then maybe sports aren't for you.

Bad take bud - what are you still in your mom's basement listening to Jim Rome show?

So I cited examples and you're comments are:

none of those guys had comparable situations. None.
Jesus this is a bad take bud.

Sounds like someone who can't show examples of elite players who want to sign in Columbus, but you know maybe I'm missing something?

As far as Nash wanting to come back - his wife is from here. He knew best case one more hit and he was done so why not get closer to home. He knew he would likely get a job within the organization, so it wasn't him coming back to play for an elite team he was just positioning himself for his next step in life. Ultimately he didn't step back on the ice and he did get employed by the CBJ.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
As was mentioned above, Nash wanted to come back to play here last year and in fact now IS back in Columbus and with the organization. He signed an 8-year extension immediately after this franchise accomplished the great achievement of getting swept in the first round. He wanted out after the team then proceeded to finish 14th, 13th and 15th in the Western Conference the next three years. Foote was a 36-year-old on an expiring deal who forced a trade to the place he'd previously spent nine seasons and where his family resided (and to a much more successful team). Carter made it clear from the second he got here he wanted out, probably due to a combo of both the team and the fact that a person like Jeff Carter clearly wouldn't want to play in a city like Columbus; Jones obviously never did that and neither of those (bad team, doesn't like the city) apply to Seth. Did we even want to re-sign/negotiate at all with Gaborik? I don't remember hearing that. Seemed like we thought it wasn't a great fit generally or we would've kept him for the playoff run in 2014 instead of trading him at the deadline for a meh return (which I believe was a mistake, but that's a different discussion).

Nathan Horton was the best free agent on the market in 2013. He left a Stanley Cup finalist (that wanted to keep him) and a city that most would consider "world class" to come to Columbus. Wisniewski was one of the biggest fish his FA year and still lives in Columbus. Different people have different priorities. I don't know Seth's. Maybe he'll leave. I'm not going to worry about it because of guys that wanted out that were in completely different situations from him. The only two that are remotely comparable are Nash and Panarin: one signed long-term, one wanted to leave. And the guy who wanted to leave comes from about as opposite of a background from Seth as you can possibly get amongst NHL players and was here for only two years.

That all makes sense. Bottom line they all wanted out, some had been here a while (Nash), others almost immediately (Foote who signed here as a free agent, Carter via trade).
I get Horton. He was the top dog is a pretty meh free agent year. But you are right.
I don't agree with Wiz being a big fish.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This entire thread is premature. What will management do to help this organization win now. That has to be the focus. Decisions made today will effect the outcome two years from now. Mgmt and ownership needs to take the next step. We are good in net through the blue line.. time to remake the offense. We have pieces, but dont have the engine to drive the offense yet. Besides - (PLD, Texier, Bjorkstrand). I'm confident Jarmo will get this done and we will be better next year.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Jones is the kind of player you try to re-sign until 11:59 PM on June 30th, unless we're obviously going into rebuild mode and he has a year left in his deal.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
On a tangent, this is hopefully one of the side benefits of Cleveland being the CBJ affiliate. We get the boys to Cleveland when they are young...they meet their girlfriends...then move on to Columbus bringing the girl with them. Then when they are established and we want to re-sign them Columbus is close to the in-laws and a reason to stay.

I thought about this with Bjorkstrand. In an interview he was asked where he was going for the X-Mas break and he said Cleveland to spend it with the GF's parents.

Can't hurt...right?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Can't hurt...right?

Makes sense to me.

But I also think some people like Columbus. Savard, Atkinson, Foligno, Werenski, Jones all seem to like Columbus.

Dorsett married an Ohio girl. He is now back in town and involved in youth hockey. But Tyutin is back in town involved with youth hockey as well, and he didn’t marry an Ohio girl. So it might help, or it might be that Columbus appeals to certain people.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I would trade one of the two dmen, but only for a long term elite center. And I would rather trade Jones over Werenski. With Torts as our coach and Jarmo's ability to find good two-way dmen (Gav, Nuti, Carlson) I'm starting to think we should trade Jones. I wouldn't feel good about naming players I would want for him but that's what Jarmo gets paid to do anyways.

And I think it's a fair POV, we do want to win after all...not just collect players...right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->