Speculation: Will Jarmo attempt to trade Seth Jones if unable to re-sign?

What do you think will happen ?

• Total voters

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think we will have to trade him. Yes we will have cap space, but bottom line is guys that are elite want to play for championships and right now we are still built to be "tough to play against".

Now maybe the thing I'm not considering is the guys who have left have largely been forwards (Nash, Panarin notably), so maybe Seth is happy in this system being a d-man.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think as of today he would re-sign. We have a budding young core, he knows his importance, and I think he likes his teammates and the city.

I think Jones knows he’s the captain in waiting and will sign here for a big ticket as long as the young core keeps improving. You know jarmo will back up the truck for him, and I think he likes Torts. But if it all falls apart? Well see. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about it

Weirdly enough, I've soured on the idea of Jones as captain. I have him pegged as a quiet, lead by example type player who won't thrive in the Captain spotlight. That's another reason I think he'll stay in Columbus; it's the quiet, easy - but still very respectable - thing to do while still making very serious money.

I agree though, I think that changes if things go south for the team.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I think we will have to trade him. Yes we will have cap space, but bottom line is guys that are elite want to play for championships and right now we are still built to be "tough to play against".

Now maybe the thing I'm not considering is the guys who have left have largely been forwards (Nash, Panarin notably), so maybe Seth is happy in this system being a d-man.

We might be built to be "tough to play against" currently, but let's see (1) how Tex, Foudy, Benstrom, etc. develop and (2) what Jarmo does with our cap space and D depth over the next couple years. By that point, Jonesy might be looking at staying a part of legitimate contender at his peak.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Weirdly enough, I've soured on the idea of Jones as captain. I have him pegged as a quiet, lead by example type player who won't thrive in the Captain spotlight. That's another reason I think he'll stay in Columbus; it's the quiet, easy - but still very respectable - thing to do while still making very serious money.

I agree though, I think that changes if things go south for the team.

That's not a weird take at all. I also don't see a captain type in Jones. He'll be a very valuable leader but he doesn't thrive as the main focal point.

I don't know if Jones would want to leave even if the team hits a rough patch. This has been a good place for him. The fans think the team inherently sucks, but why would he? They've won more than their share since he's been here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I don't fault any one person for not reading every article, I'm just annoyed that no one seems to know about why we kept Panarin. It was reported on but the boards are full of false claims about it.
I'm an Athletic subscriber. I don't specifically remember that article, but I do remember a lot of talk around the team that they were going for it, and while they wanted to re-sign Panarin, worst case he would be an "own rental" who was more valuable than anyone else they could get in a trade.

I'll dig around on the Athletic and see what I can find.

FWIW, if there is anyone I'm most nervous about leaving, it's Werenski. I was concerned the moment he signed a bridge contract.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm an Athletic subscriber. I don't specifically remember that article, but I do remember a lot of talk around the team that they were going for it, and while they wanted to re-sign Panarin, worst case he would be an "own rental" who was more valuable than anyone else they could get in a trade.

I'll dig around on the Athletic and see what I can find.

FWIW, if there is anyone I'm most nervous about leaving, it's Werenski. I was concerned the moment he signed a bridge contract.

I'm not a subscriber so I can't look myself, so I appreciate it. I seem to remember it coming out after the deadline moves or after that playoffs.

Porty had no idea about the org's plan until after the deadline. He was as certain as the folks on this board that Panarin was going to be sold off.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I still have no problem not moving them. That was as good a chance as any to go for it. I give Jarmo credit for having the guts to make the run instead of selling them off. Had he moved them and still came up short, people would have been complaining that we should have done nothing and made a run at it.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I strongly supported Jarmo’s “let’s go for it”. I was bitterly disappointed by his failure to make any significant effort to reload after they all left. And his “we want guys who want to be here” chant is an acknowledgment that we will be the home for players who are “hard to plat against” rather than players who have plus offensive skills. I do not see Jarmo making any real effort to bring in high end offensive talent. He will fill the lineup with Boone Jenner types who are “hard to play against” and continue to puff the marginal offensive skills of players he draft with Wennberg being Exhibit A.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I strongly supported Jarmo’s “let’s go for it”. I was bitterly disappointed by his failure to make any significant effort to reload after they all left. And his “we want guys who want to be here” chant is an acknowledgment that we will be the home for players who are “hard to plat against” rather than players who have plus offensive skills. I do not see Jarmo making any real effort to bring in high end offensive talent. He will fill the lineup with Boone Jenner types who are “hard to play against” and continue to puff the marginal offensive skills of players he draft with Wennberg being Exhibit A.

Oh really, tell us what you know about his effort.

Which GMs did he contact about trades? What did he ask for? What was the price that he declined? Which free agents did he try and sign? What was his offer to Zuccarello?

(actually we know his offer to Zuccarello came a year of term and some $$ short relative to the Wild offer. And thank god it did. His contract is worse and he didn't do any better than Nyquist).

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think the Seth Jones worry is a red herring. We'll pay him what he's worth and he'll continue to be one of the faces of our franchise.
I hope he appreciates the fact that CBJ believed in him and traded for him giving him the 1D role rather than him being behind Nashville defensive leaders.
But if we are not looking like a team that’s close to becoming a contender, I’m not sure he is not going to want to taste the UFA market

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
People are really letting one person's decision (who is European, came to America to play in a major city and was in Columbus for only two years) really get to their heads.

(It didn't matter where Duchene was traded, he was always heading to Nashville in the offseason. Bob's was semi-mutual/largely driven by tension between him and the front office.)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Wait, you were bitterly disappointed Jarmo couldn't replace one of the best wingers in the NHL, a top 6/first line center, and a Vezina winning goalie all in the same offseason? My god, talk about unrealistic goals.

Jarmo sang the praises of Korpi and Elvis before anyone else knew what they would be like as co-starters. So he replaced Bob from within, that's pretty successful for one offseason in by itself. There was no replacing Panarin, but Nyquist proved to be a quality pick up to strengthen our forward core. He's not moving any needles by himself,but he's a quality top 6 forward.

Jarmo made no effort to bring in high end offensive talent? He literally BROUGHT Panarin here. He brought Dubois here. Werenski, Jones, Texier, Bjorkstrand? Brought in here by him. Brandon Saad back in the day (A very quality top line-ish player, who was then flipped for an even better player) Jarmo. If he didn't make more moves last offseason, maybe it wasn't possible without spending an arm and a leg because the other GMs knew he would be desperate for top talent?

Who has Jarmo brought in ever that was a "Boone Jenner" type player? Gregory Campbell? Are we really going to count Adam McQuaid? I don't.

If there is one spot to pick at Jarmo about it would be his drafting, however for as much shit as Wennberg gets around here, he's still a valuable pick considering his draft class. Look around the other picks after him in that draft (in the first round because we have to be reasonable), there's like 2-3 guys you'd rather have other than him (Pulock, Mantha,Theodore).

Expecting Jarmo to replace Panarin, Duchene, and Bob level production in one offseason is an impossible task. Replacing Bob by himself means it was a successful offseason. Now we work on the #2 center, and the top end talent.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Jarmo can't extend Jones as soon as possible I think he has to trade him. No more our own rental bs. Maybe things will be different in 2 years as to how strong a Cup contender the Jackets will be but I don't think they will be strong enough to risk losing Jones for nothing at the end of his deal. Offer him a fair 7 year deal and get it done.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Oh really, tell us what you know about his effort.

Which GMs did he contact about trades? What did he ask for? What was the price that he declined? Which free agents did he try and sign? What was his offer to Zuccarello?

(actually we know his offer to Zuccarello came a year of term and some $$ short relative to the Wild offer. And thank god it did. His contract is worse and he didn't do any better than Nyquist).
Also Columbus was the rumored team that was going to give Marner an offer sheet. But Columbus wanted 7 years and Marner's camp wanted only the years that would take him straight to UFA.

Also although he's been a disappointment in the playoffs, he brought in Nyquist on a decent deal.

A month or 2 ago, in 2 of Portzline's Q and A, he made it seem like Jarmo will try to add players this off season. But obviously he's not connected to the team and it was more of an opinion.

And hopefully Grigorenko turns into a nice pickup.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Jarmo can't extend Jones as soon as possible I think he has to trade him. No more our own rental bs. Maybe things will be different in 2 years as to how strong a Cup contender the Jackets will be but I don't think they will be strong enough to risk losing Jones for nothing at the end of his deal. Offer him a fair 7 year deal and get it done.
I'll offer an 8 year deal and I'm sure he'll want 8 if he's signing long term(we can offer 8 but other teams could only offer 7). But yeah if he's on the fence, got to trade him. Just tell him, don't want to lose you for nothing. We're open for discussion when free agency begins. That's why adding players this off season and next is key. Got to go from pretenders to contenders to convince Jones to stick around. Also I don't think his job will be in danger in a couple of years but if it is, maybe Jarmo goes all in 1 last time in Jones final year. Might not care if he loses Jones for nothing if he isn't back.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
People are really letting one person's decision (who is European, came to America to play in a major city and was in Columbus for only two years) really get to their heads.

(It didn't matter where Duchene was traded, he was always heading to Nashville in the offseason. Bob's was semi-mutual/largely driven by tension between him and the front office.)
There hasn’t been a star player who committed his whole career to Columbus. We have a valid reason to be worried

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also Columbus was the rumored team that was going to give Marner an offer sheet. But Columbus wanted 7 years and Marner's camp wanted only the years that would take him straight to UFA.

Also although he's been a disappointment in the playoffs, he brought in Nyquist on a decent deal.

A month or 2 ago, in 2 of Portzline's Q and A, he made it seem like Jarmo will try to add players this off season. But obviously he's not connected to the team and it was more of an opinion.

And hopefully Grigorenko turns into a nice pickup.

Good memory.

I'm not sad at all that Zuccarello and Marner turned down our offers.

Keeps the powder dry for better opportunities.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
There hasn’t been a star player who committed his whole career to Columbus. We have a valid reason to be worried

Nash pretty much did when he signed that 8-year deal. But later, the situation he wanted out of was much, much, much worse than any I can possibly envision this organization having in the next two years.

Reactions: Viqsi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Rick Nash ring any bells? Team Captain, elite offensive player. Forced his way out.
Adam Foote?
Carter, Gaborik?

Granted those guys were previous regimes - but all wanted out of Columbus.

It's not just Panarin or Duchene or Bob.

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
Rick Nash ring any bells? Team Captain, elite offensive player. Forced his way out.
Adam Foote?
Carter, Gaborik?

Nash also re-signed and even tried to end his career here and ended up in the FO. Gaborik was at the end of his career and was a 12 goal guy looking for 5 or 6 Mil per year and still looking for a big pay day, and carter and foote were both playing for a new perennial losing organization at the time.

none of those guys had comparable situations. None.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Nash also re-signed and even tried to end his career here and ended up in the FO. Gaborik was at the end of his career and was a 12 goal guy looking for 5 or 6 Mil per year and still looking for a big pay day, and carter and foote were both playing for a new perennial losing organization at the time.

none of those guys had comparable situations. None.

I guess best I can say is I disagree..
If you don't see the pattern of the elite players getting out when they can (again Foote, Gabby were past their prime but didn't stop us from getting them) then I really can't help you.
Plenty of solid NHL players have signed long term here (like a Cam Atkinson). But the difference makers (the guys who have a demand for their services and could play anywhere they wanted) have continually chosen to leave.
We have had a roster of "tough to play against" and/or "gritty" and/or "heavy" guys since Hitchcock has been here. It's because those are the guys who want to be here. Sprinkle in the draft picks who work out, and a trade here and there and that is our team. The guys we trade for usually ride out their contracts and move along saying how nice Columbus is. The draft picks are here for a bit longer but more times than not we try to over promote them (having a guy with 2nd/3rd line skills play top line C).

Reactions: ViD

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
I guess best I can say is I disagree..
If you don't see the pattern of the elite players getting out when they can (again Foote, Gabby were past their prime but didn't stop us from getting them) then I really can't help you.
Plenty of solid NHL players have signed long term here (like a Cam Atkinson). But the difference makers (the guys who have a demand for their services and could play anywhere they wanted) have continually chosen to leave.
We have had a roster of "tough to play against" and/or "gritty" and/or "heavy" guys since Hitchcock has been here. It's because those are the guys who want to be here. Sprinkle in the draft picks who work out, and a trade here and there and that is our team. The guys we trade for usually ride out their contracts and move along saying how nice Columbus is. The draft picks are here for a bit longer but more times than not we try to over promote them (having a guy with 2nd/3rd line skills play top line C).

Jesus this is a bad take bud. IF you dont see the difference in wanting to play for a perennial playoff team vs a new losing franchise, then maybe sports aren't for you.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Adam Foote?
Carter, Gaborik?

As was mentioned above, Nash wanted to come back to play here last year and in fact now IS back in Columbus and with the organization. He signed an 8-year extension immediately after this franchise accomplished the great achievement of getting swept in the first round. He wanted out after the team then proceeded to finish 14th, 13th and 15th in the Western Conference the next three years. Foote was a 36-year-old on an expiring deal who forced a trade to the place he'd previously spent nine seasons and where his family resided (and to a much more successful team). Carter made it clear from the second he got here he wanted out, probably due to a combo of both the team and the fact that a person like Jeff Carter clearly wouldn't want to play in a city like Columbus; Jones obviously never did that and neither of those (bad team, doesn't like the city) apply to Seth. Did we even want to re-sign/negotiate at all with Gaborik? I don't remember hearing that. Seemed like we thought it wasn't a great fit generally or we would've kept him for the playoff run in 2014 instead of trading him at the deadline for a meh return (which I believe was a mistake, but that's a different discussion).

Nathan Horton was the best free agent on the market in 2013. He left a Stanley Cup finalist (that wanted to keep him) and a city that most would consider "world class" to come to Columbus. Wisniewski was one of the biggest fish his FA year and still lives in Columbus. Different people have different priorities. I don't know Seth's. Maybe he'll leave. I'm not going to worry about it because of guys that wanted out that were in completely different situations from him. The only two that are remotely comparable are Nash and Panarin: one signed long-term, one wanted to leave. And the guy who wanted to leave comes from about as opposite of a background from Seth as you can possibly get amongst NHL players and was here for only two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->