Speculation: Will Jarmo attempt to trade Seth Jones if unable to re-sign?

What do you think will happen ?

• Total voters

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I know it’s not what anyone wants to hear and nobody believes he will leave, but we have to discuss this.

He’s becoming arguably one of the best defenseman in the NHL on one of the best contracts there is, but the main problem is the contract is only good for two more years and then he’s gone to UFA.

His partial NMC kicks in next season and it would be foolish for Jarmo to not start the negotiation process this off season. Now, I don’t think I’ve seen Jones or anyone discuss the next deal or whether he’s committed to stay in Columbus.

The good thing is that we’re getting into play offs last several seasons but it’s unlikely we will go deep, so I don’t know if he’s content to stay and hope for the improvement of the organization or if he will try to go another route to try and win the cup.

So, the question stands if Jarmo engages in the extension talks this off season and it fails, what do we do ? Granted, Jones is UFA in two years, I don’t know if teams will part with franchise pieces like Eichel, but for Columbus that got burned by losing Bob and Bread for nothing, this should be a serious conversation.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
tenor.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you lay awake at night thinking about your partner leaving you? We have to show some baseline confidence as an org, even if it has been a rough ride. I think Jarmo will lay the groundwork but no re-sign can happen until summer 2021 so there's no reason to stress anything until then. If at that point he doesn't want to stay, you make a deal. He'll have a 10 team NTC, that's just so he doesn't get traded to Canada, he would be very easy to move (and very easy to get a huge return).

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Do you lay awake at night thinking about your partner leaving you? We have to show some baseline confidence as an org, even if it has been a rough ride. I think Jarmo will lay the groundwork but no re-sign can happen until summer 2021 so there's no reason to stress anything until then. If at that point he doesn't want to stay, you make a deal. He'll have a 10 team NTC, that's just so he doesn't get traded to Canada, he would be very easy to move (and very easy to get a huge return).
I just don’t want us to go through all this again, get the hopes up to get utterly disappointed later.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
He's got 2 years left after this one so we can't attempt to resign him until summer of 2021.

That said, and I REALLY hope it doesn't come to this bc I love Jones -- if he doesn't resign summer of 2021 then we need to trade him. I'm a firm believer you just can't allow players of this caliber to walk for nothing.

But I also believed that about Panarin and we see how that played out. :laugh:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
They cannot negotiate an extension until after the end of next season (I think July 1 they can start). I voted other because I'm going to go back to two seasons ago when Jarmo got all full of himself thinking he could get Panarin to re-sign and then watched him walk to Connecticut. I will say the same thing about Jones as I said about Panarin. I would give him a max contract and if he doesn't sign then I trade him. The team lost assets by keeping Panarin around, they can't afford to do the same thing with Jones if he plays ball the same way. I don't expect that tho.

I'm hoping that Jones, Zach and PLD are in CBJ uniforms for a very long time.

Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They cannot negotiate an extension until after the end of next season (I think July 1 they can start). I voted other because I'm going to go back to two seasons ago when Jarmo got all full of himself thinking he could get Panarin to re-sign and then watched him walk to Connecticut. I will say the same thing about Jones as I said about Panarin. I would give him a max contract and if he doesn't sign then I trade him. The team lost assets by keeping Panarin around, they can't afford to do the same thing with Jones if he plays ball the same way. I don't expect that tho.

I'm hoping that Jones, Zach and PLD are in CBJ uniforms for a very long time.

I don't know why I'm seemingly one of only three Jackets fans to have read it, but there was an Athletic article explaining a summer 2018 meeting where Jarmo, JD, and ownership all unanimously agreed that the Jackets were going to go for it that year. They wanted to change Panarin's mind but even in the case that he would not, they were resolved to going on a run. That's why they kept Panarin, to make a run in the postseason.

How do people not know this by now?

I don't have a subscription anymore, can someone find it?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know why I'm seemingly one of only three Jackets fans to have read it, but there was an Athletic article explaining a summer 2018 meeting where Jarmo, JD, and ownership all unanimously agreed that the Jackets were going to go for it that year. They wanted to change Panarin's mind but even in the case that he would not, they were resolved to going on a run. That's why they kept Panarin, to make a run in the postseason.

Not everyone has or reads the Athletic and an article means nothing to what I posted or thought back then. The decision was a wrong one. They should have traded Panarin and got assets. The team was not a position to "go for it." That was my opinion back then and it's my opinion now.

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not everyone has or reads the Athletic and an article means nothing to what I posted or thought back then. The decision was a wrong one. They should have traded Panarin and got assets. The team was not a position to "go for it." That was my opinion back then and it's my opinion now.

I don't fault any one person for not reading every article, I'm just annoyed that no one seems to know about why we kept Panarin. It was reported on but the boards are full of false claims about it.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Hopefully Jarmo adds some much needed offense this off season and next off season. If Columbus continues to be a pretender then Seth Jones might not want to stick around. But if we get some offensive players to make Columbus a contender, maybe Jones signs a long term deal. On a different note, in the game day thread, someone said Jarmo should trade Werenski for offense because he's the only thing that will get you an elite forward but my concern is if you trade Werenski and lose Jones, that's a huge hit on D. But if you keep Z and lose Jones, at least you have something still.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully Jarmo adds some much needed offense this off season and next off season. If Columbus continues to be a pretender then Seth Jones might not want to stick around. But if we get some offensive players to make Columbus a contender, maybe Jones signs a long term deal. On a different note, in the game day thread, someone said Jarmo should trade Werenski for offense because he's the only thing that will get you an elite forward but my concern is if you trade Werenski and lose Jones, that's a huge hit on D. But if you keep Z and lose Jones, at least you have something still.

You can't create more offense by removing the player that creates more offense than any other player (Zach Werenski).

Reactions: Halfboard

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
What reason do we have to believe he would re-sign? It’s 50/50 at best. I don’t trust lip service.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I disagree. I think they were in a position to go for it. In my opinion, we were a 3-2 series lead choke by Toronto against Boston from winning the Eastern Conference and having a 50/50 shot at the Cup against St. Louis. Just didn't quite work out.

With that said, I'm not sure they will be in a position to go for it in two years (think the peak is more like 3-4 years from now), so I'd be more inclined to trade Seth. But hopefully it's a moot point.

Reactions: Lumbus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think as of today he would re-sign. We have a budding young core, he knows his importance, and I think he likes his teammates and the city.

I think Jones knows he’s the captain in waiting and will sign here for a big ticket as long as the young core keeps improving. You know jarmo will back up the truck for him, and I think he likes Torts. But if it all falls apart? Well see. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about it

Reactions: rotsbu and ViD

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
My guess is around this time next year the Jackets opening offer will be somewhere north of 8 x $8M. Depending on what the UFA market for Defensemen looks like in 2 years this could go up. If it comes down to money he'll get the best deal here (8 years vs. 7) but if he wants his name engraved on the cup he will walk. IMO he'll resign but there'll be some drama along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->