Will I Feel a Noticable Difference? [Skates]

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Hey I'm hoping some of you equipment experts could lend a hand: I've been using Easton Synergy 555's now for a couple seasons (about 200 bucks canadian at the time), and was wondering if I would feel a noticable difference in my skating if I upgraded? I have been talking to a few people at the rink and the general response seems to be that the most noticable thing with a price increase will be the fit of the boot. My Easton's aren't a terrible fit right now, but compared to my last skates (a couple sizes too big), anything feels good. I'm not sure if I should splurge and upgrade? Would I even notice a difference between my 200 dollar skates and say, a 350 or 400 dollar pair?

Thanks for the insight.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Main difference in high dollar skates is the stiffness. If you only play once or twice a week then you dont really need to buy high dollar skates. I am not too familiar with easton skates but any Mid-level skate is fine. Biggest diffrence you can make is just practicing your skating skills rather than spending more money on skates you may not like due to the stiffness

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
Hey I'm hoping some of you equipment experts could lend a hand: I've been using Easton Synergy 555's now for a couple seasons (about 200 bucks canadian at the time), and was wondering if I would feel a noticable difference in my skating if I upgraded? I have been talking to a few people at the rink and the general response seems to be that the most noticable thing with a price increase will be the fit of the boot. My Easton's aren't a terrible fit right now, but compared to my last skates (a couple sizes too big), anything feels good. I'm not sure if I should splurge and upgrade? Would I even notice a difference between my 200 dollar skates and say, a 350 or 400 dollar pair?

Thanks for the insight.

I made a similar upgrade very recently. I went from Bauer One55 (MSRP $230) to Graf 705 (MSRP $500). The difference was I went from a skate that was the right size for my foot to a skate that was made for my foot. It fits way better and it's way more comfortable. I feel that I skate much better on my new skates.

And as firegarrett said, expensive skates are stiffer. When a skate is stiffer, less energy is being absorbed by the skate and more energy is transferred to the edges.

I think the jump from a $200 skate to a $400 skate is a pretty substantial upgrade. If you're willing to spend the money, you'll definitely get some bang for your buck.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
High dollar skates are not really much stiffer than cheaper skates. The difference is that they don't break down like cheaper skates. Or to put it simply they stay stiffer for longer.

Also good skates are considerably lighter than cheaper skates.

If you want to splurge then splurge. You will like the new skates better I'm sure but don't expect them to change your game.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
High dollar skates are not really much stiffer than cheaper skates. The difference is that they don't break down like cheaper skates. Or to put it simply they stay stiffer for longer.

If you want to splurge then splurge. You will like the new skates better I'm sure but don't expect them to change your game.

:handclap: That all I would say! :handclap:

All I would add is that spending big money on skates could be the last skates you ever buy if all you are playing is rec league.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Well put. If you are sure they are right and your feet have stopped growing they may well be worth the money.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
3 pieces of equipment I believe you should spend the extra money on are skates, sticks and helmet. I went from Mission Flyweights $150 to the Synergys $500 when they first were launched and it was a noticeable difference.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
Really now?

A google search for "hockey skate stiffness" provided the following #1 result.

Article on buying skates

In the section on stiffness the author writes that there are different levels of boot stiffness. But, if you actually read the section he discusses that the determining factors in choosing level of boot are the players weight, ability, and how much the skates will be used on a weekly basis.

The reason these 3 factors are important is because they will effect how quickly the skates breakdown. Not their initial stiffness.

"Buying skates that are not stiff enough will cause premature breakdown. The boots will actually flex in areas that they should not. In a matter of months or even weeks a boot can degrade to the point where the skater is getting little or no support. Explosive skating is all but impossible in a boot that has broken down."

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I didn't question the part of your post about how lower end skates generally won't last as long because of premature breakdown, but rather the part where you said high dollar skates aren't much stiffer. Have you not noticed how stiff the EQ50/SE16/TO skates (just naming the top Easton & Bauer skates) are? The boots are practically solid with almost no give.

pnewsom

Nov 9, 2008
I went from low-mid level Eastons to Bauer X60's. I love the X60's and would never go back. They offer far more protection, better comfort, and are just overall a very nice skate.

The biggest difference was that with my old skates I could feel the sole of the skate flex with every stride, but not with the X60's. There are other improvements advantages too, such as a tongue that is very thick and protective, and much better padding around the ankles, etc. Better skate for sure, but then you get what you pay for.

Quality only hurts once!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yes I think there is a difference until about the $300 USD range, above which the lines get blurred. Big improvements are usually skate stiffness, a much stronger outsole, higher quality holders and steel, better liner, and lighter weight overall. Now if you will tell a difference, I don't know, it depends on whether your skates are a great fit and if they're broken down at all. Just remember don't throw away money unless the skates are a perfect fit for you!

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I have to laugh at all the responses on here. I realize that everyone has an opinion and they all think their's is correct, but bottom line is no one knows the answer to whether or not new and more expensive skates will do anything for you. If you spend more money, make sure you get what you pay for, get them molded and sharpened and enjoy.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I have to laugh at all the responses on here. I realize that everyone has an opinion and they all think their's is correct, but bottom line is no one knows the answer to whether or not new and more expensive skates will do anything for you. If you spend more money, make sure you get what you pay for, get them molded and sharpened and enjoy.

well obviously no one knows exactly how the skates are going to feel on me. Perhaps I would have worded the question differently if I knew you were going to knitpick the language like that :sarcasm:

... but I think everyone caught my drift. Thanks for all the responses.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
well obviously no one knows exactly how the skates are going to feel on me. Perhaps I would have worded the question differently if I knew you were going to knitpick the language like that :sarcasm:

... but I think everyone caught my drift. Thanks for all the responses.

Bottom line, no, a new and better skate won't make you a better skater. Better?

pnewsom

Nov 9, 2008
Whether a pair of skates is too expensive or not depends entirely on how much money you have, not how good you play. The difference of a couple hundred bucks is not that much these days.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
A better fitting skate WILL make you a better skater. And if you're skating on old, broken down skates, a stiffer and lighter skate COULD make you a better skater. And if you accidentally find a skate with a profile or pitch that works better for you style, that COULD make you a better skater.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I just want to add that when I got into my new skates, I could instantly feel how much stiffer and lighter they were first time I hit the ice. And this probably is making next to no difference but I feel like my feet are moving a bit faster because of the weight loss. Now with that all said, did new skates (I went from old top of the line grafs to top of the line Bauer, so not really going from crappy to awesome, just newer) make me a better skater? Not necessarily. But did I notice a difference, definitely.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Bottom line, no, a new and better skate won't make you a better skater. Better?

I'm not trying to make a world of difference in my skating ability. I'm already a good skater and I feel it is time to invest in some skates that will last. I hear from teammates that when they made the switch to 150-200 buck skates to 400+, they noted added performance benefits to coincide with a more exact fitting skate.

There is no glaring flaw in my skating that I'm trying to magically fix with an expensive pair of skates. So, everyone else: I'm going to go out today to try on some skates, any suggestions? I should just find a pair in the 400-500 price range (cdn) that fit like a glove, or are some substantially better than others at that price point? I'm hoping the guy at the LHS will be knowledgable.

A2HockeyDad

Nov 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
mbeam,

I am in the exact situtation as you are. Though it sounds as though you have a bit more experience/sound technique, I am looking to upgrade my boots as well.

My son has gotten more into hockey as he's growing up, and some of his teammates Dad's have gotten me into a adult beer league starting tomorrow. During some of the Father/Son and pick-up games I've attended, it's been mentioned that my current skates may not be fitting as well as they might (lots of ankle-bending room). Now I'm sure most of this is due to my limited time logged on-ice, but I can't help thinking that one of the skate models in the same price range you are mentioning, the Bauer X50 or CCM U+12 might be nice skates to upgrade to for many of the benefits they would offer (stiffness, light-weight, bakeability to get superior fit, etc.) over my few year old Reebok 5K pumps.

I'm sure they aren't essential, but I can't help thinking they certainly couldn't hurt as well as being excellent models to grow into as I begin to get even more serious in the sport.

Cheers,
Kev

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
mbeam,

I am in the exact situtation as you are. Though it sounds as though you have a bit more experience/sound technique, I am looking to upgrade my boots as well.

My son has gotten more into hockey as he's growing up, and some of his teammates Dad's have gotten me into a adult beer league starting tomorrow. During some of the Father/Son and pick-up games I've attended, it's been mentioned that my current skates may not be fitting as well as they might (lots of ankle-bending room). Now I'm sure most of this is due to my limited time logged on-ice, but I can't help thinking that one of the skate models in the same price range you are mentioning, the Bauer X50 or CCM U+12 might be nice skates to upgrade to for many of the benefits they would offer (stiffness, light-weight, bakeability to get superior fit, etc.) over my few year old Reebok 5K pumps.

I'm sure they aren't essential, but I can't help thinking they certainly couldn't hurt as well as being excellent models to grow into as I begin to get even more serious in the sport.

Cheers,
Kev

If you plan to play for a long time then I guess an upgrade into something comfortable and durable is a good idea. The more and more I look into it it seems as if when you spend $200 you get a year or two (More depending how often you play, but I play 2-4 times a week) out of your boot but if you go for a higher model you may use them for life. I'm hoping this is true and my one off purchase will save me money in the long run. Good luck to you, I'll have to let you know how my new skates feel after a few sessions.

pnewsom

Nov 9, 2008
It might have been two weeks ago, but Valequette Source For Sports was selling Bauer X60's for $500 a pair. Pretty good price for these skates. They had lots of them.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Went from CCM Externo E50s (approx 250 at the time, I think) and just got a used pair of Bauer One95s.

Now THAT's a stiff boot. But I'm in love. Fit better, love the stiffness and everything about my skating has improved as a result. They feel like shoes that are bullet proof.

If your a good skater, chances are you will get more out of a more expensive/stiffer skate and they will last longer. If your a rec player and want high end skates....check out the used market, I got my one95s for 225.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Well the hockey shop had a relocation sale and I ended up picking up Easton E17s for 499. My last skates were lower end eastons and the fit is real good. Had my first skate with them this morning and man do my feet hurt, but I guess that was to be expected. I'll give them a week or so, maybe 3-4 ice times before I begin to judge though. I did like the stiffness although it seems like it may be tough to get used to after being in floppy things for so long, seems like I have to relearn where the skating equilibrium is!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad