Will Hughes be the first 1st Overall to not stick/play in the NHL his first year since Johnson?

Will Hughes be the first 1st Overall to not stick/play in the NHL his first year since Johnson?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he will play in the AHL at some point this season, or maybe just a trip to the world juniors but he doesn't look ready yet.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think he could use a few weeks, maybe a month just learning what he can and can’t do as a 1C playing against men in the AHL. Get his scoring going down there and hope he comes up later with some confidence. Don’t think it’ll happen though, so voted no.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I doubt we'll ever see a 1st overall not play their D1 season in the NHL ever again, even if that's what's best for them.

Disagree completely. I understand why you're saying it though. So many of these prospects the past few years have had so much hype to them (McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin) that not starting in the NHL almost becomes too big a story/drama that negatively affects the player. But I think it's just because we happened to have had such strong #1 overalls recently. It isn't always like that. We'll see it happen again.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Disagree completely. I understand why you're saying it though. So many of these prospects the past few years have had so much hype to them (McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin) that not starting in the NHL almost becomes too big a story/drama that negatively affects the player. But I think it's just because we happened to have had such strong #1 overalls recently. It isn't always like that. We'll see it happen again.
It's super rare for a 1st overall to not play though (Ovechkin doesn't count due to the lockout year). Johnson went to College the year after he was drafted, Fleury was sent down halfway through his first year in Pittsburgh, and DiPietro was called up halfway through his first year (groin injury suffered in training camp). The last forward to not play in the NHL his first year was Lindros, and for very different reasons of course. Even some of the smaller guys you wouldn't expect to play did and had some measure of success (RNH and Kane).

I think there's just a level of expectation there that 1st overall picks should be playing in the NHL the first year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's super rare for a 1st overall to not play though (Ovechkin doesn't count due to the lockout year). Johnson went to College the year after he was drafted, Fleury was sent down halfway through his first year in Pittsburgh, and DiPietro was called up halfway through his first year (groin injury suffered in training camp). The last forward to not play in the NHL his first year was Lindros, and for very different reasons of course. Even some of the smaller guys you wouldn't expect to play did and had some measure of success (RNH and Kane).

I think there's just a level of expectation there that 1st overall picks should be playing in the NHL the first year.

RNH should have been sent back to juniors.

Kane however played an extra year because of his late birthday so he was somewhat ready. Plus he dominated the OHL so going back would have been pointless.

As for the OP - It seems that he isn't fully ready but due to fan pressure I doubt they will send him down. Might just have a meh rookie year with like 40 or 50 points.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Kane however played an extra year because of his late birthday so he was somewhat ready. Plus he dominated the OHL so going back would have been pointless.

As for the OP - It seems that he isn't fully ready but due to fan pressure I doubt they will send him down. Might just have a meh rookie year with like 40 or 50 points.

RNH had a monstrous rookie season. He had a lot of development time torpedoed with injuries.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

40 or 50 points would not be a meh rookie year, the heck?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

52 points in 62 games?

He nearly won the calder lmao

Reactions: TheGoldenJet and Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
52 points in 62 games?

He nearly won the calder lmao

Yeah...people here would have sent MacKinnon down too I guess?

MacKinnon and RNH had the exact same first ~5 seasons before MacKinnon became a superstar.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidLine93

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Just speaking from the PHI NJD game I watched, Hughes does look out of place, but he definitely had his moments where you could tell that his speed and smarts are his best attributes and they’ll carry him.

From my POV, he looks like he’s trying too hard... like he HAS to be that difference-maker. He tried so many fancy plays that ended up on our sticks and I’m pretty sure we scored off one of his bad turnovers.

It’s been 3 games. Let him get acclimated and judge after this year.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's been just fine lol. The entire team has been awful, but he was one of our best players last night. Could have easily had a few points. His line was the best line all night.
What about the other two games? So far through 3 games he doesn't have a point, outscored 3-0 at 5v5, and has the 2nd worst possession numbers on the team (33 cf%) in a sheltered role.

Saying he's still very young and 3 games is too early to draw conclusions is pretty reasonable. Saying he's been fine is a reach

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
It would be the worst rookie year by a No. 1 pick in I don't know how long (forward-wise, obviously).

Size-wise he was nowhere near ready. Needed another junior season to bulk up.
Why is gaudreau playing still. Needs to bulk up. Since clearly it’s based on size not production

Reactions: Pi

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The Devils CEO whoever it is would strongly be against it.
he's too highly marketed around the organizaiton.
This image is on a bunch of marketing material "we are the ones" with these 4 guys
cut.jpg

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->