Will Hart bounce back with the new D in Philly?

Will Hart bounce back?

• yes he'll bounce back > 920 SV%

• respectable, 910-919 SV%

• another bad season < 909 SV%

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The only person Hart has to blame for his play last season is himself. A better D may boost his underlying stats, but a "bounce back" year will solely depend on his individual performance. With that in mind, the answer is "who knows?"

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not even sure a lot of it is that contingent on Philly's defense having improved. More important, is probably just whether Hart is going to be able to get himself back into the right mental space to bounce back or not. Goaltending is such a mental game, which can be fragile, especially for such a young guy with such "hype" and expectations. That situation last year was a mess that seemed a bit of a feedback loop of disaster. Shoddy defensive play, shaky goaltending, plummeting team morale overall just circling and racing each other down the drain.

So...i'm a believer in Hart. The talent is clearly all there. But predicting whether or not he'll be able to get his game mentally back to where it needs to be this year, is a total shot in the dark. I can see the significant reconfiguration in front of him helping inspire a rebound in confidence. But if things start to go a little bit sideways out of the gate with a bumpy start to the season...it could get ugly fast.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Talent wise I voted Yes. I think he's one of the best young goalies in the NHL. Unfortunately, there is some sort of goalie curse in Philadelphia. I bet you Andrei Vasilevskiy would even struggle there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
what dyou think?

Prov-Ellis
Risto-Sanheim
Braun-Yandle
Morin, Seeler

Ellis is an improvement but Risto and Yandle are ticking timebombs on defense.

I said sub standard year. Philly needs to improve their team defense, not just defensive pairings. I don't think they did that enough even with the addition of Atkinson.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It's crazy how a few years back I remember how insane I thought the Flyers D was going to be with Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, Morin ,etc. all looking like great prospects. Just shows you how insane development curves can be...and why prospects shouldn't be overrated as much as they are.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I think a mild comeback, not really because of the changes on D but just should naturally improve for such a young goalie

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This young man is talented but he seems nervous. I believe he should be sent down to the AHL to regroup. He's only what, about 19 years old? He has plenty of time to improve but after such a disastrous season, he needs to regain his confidence.
He will be 23 before the season begins.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I get Andrew Raycroft vibes from Hart. He'll be on a different team next year and out of the league in 3 years
There are literally zero parallels between Hart and Raycroft.

Raycroft was a good junior goalie.
Hart was one of the best junior goalies of the past 20+ years.

Raycroft was a 5th round Pick.
Hart was a 2nd and the first goalie taken in the draft.

Raycroft was a rookie at 23 years old.
Hart was a rookie at 20 years old.

Raycroft put up significantly better numbers in his rookie season than he ever did in juniors or the AHL so he was bound to come back to earth.
Hart's numbers have always been better than last season so he's bound to bounce back, at least somewhat.

Raycroft had 1 good year in the lowest scoring season in the modern NHL and then the lockout came and changed the way the game was played. A lot of players saw drastic differences before and after the lockout.
Hart had two promising seasons and then a condensed, Covid shortened season with very little practice time to get back to basics. A lot of players had down years.

I just don't see the similarities here.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I wonder if Hart had more time to develop that he would be a lot better. If the Flyers didn't need a goalie so bad all the time he might've turned out a lot better instead of being rushed into the starter role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad