Speculation: Will Glen Gulutzan be fired?

Will Glen Gulutzan be fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I am getting the awful feeling that Glen Gulutzan might not get fired, it sucks that we will waste another year of this core. As long as we keep our 1st round it should not be to to to bad because we will have a chance at Jack Hughes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I am getting the awful feeling that Glen Gulutzan might not get fired, it sucks that we will waste another year of this core. As long as we keep our 1st round it should not be to to to bad because we will have a chance at Jack Hughes.

It’s hard to say. We know that Treliving hasn’t said he’s safe, yet. So all we can assume is that everything is under evaluation.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Based on the performance of the last month + GG inability/unwilling to make changes, we have great shot at the 1st pick.

All is good with the early tank

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I was browsing CP during my break and saw that this was posted this morning.

I have a Bill Peter's update....

My source advised that he went to the rink to negotiate his settlement. Apparently with an out-clause, it's not cut and dried.

This negotiation is the reason for the media speculation about the extension to opt out.

Peter's has two offers on the table from Canadian teams... They are positive one is Calgary and thinks Ottawa is the other

I'm guessing that Gulutzan firing is totally tied to Peter's picking Calgary. I just hope there's an option B if Peter's doesn't pick Calgary.

It was also noted that he wants this settled before heading to Denmark and coaching the WC.

There was some other personal info/reasons that I can't don't want to divulge, but this is a pretty legit source..

I forgot to mention, I guess this new owner is absolutely clueless about hockey and could be convinced into anything. I immediately started thinking about having the inside track with Peter's in the fold, how we could scoop up the good players they have. I guess a GM will be hired to make those moves but doesn't sound like he will find anyone to take the job. Especially with his comments about paying one.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I was browsing CP during my break and saw that this was posted this morning.

I have a Bill Peter's update....

My source advised that he went to the rink to negotiate his settlement. Apparently with an out-clause, it's not cut and dried.

This negotiation is the reason for the media speculation about the extension to opt out.

Peter's has two offers on the table from Canadian teams... They are positive one is Calgary and thinks Ottawa is the other

I'm guessing that Gulutzan firing is totally tied to Peter's picking Calgary. I just hope there's an option B if Peter's doesn't pick Calgary.

It was also noted that he wants this settled before heading to Denmark and coaching the WC.

There was some other personal info/reasons that I can't don't want to divulge, but this is a pretty legit source..

I forgot to mention, I guess this new owner is absolutely clueless about hockey and could be convinced into anything. I immediately started thinking about having the inside track with Peter's in the fold, how we could scoop up the good players they have. I guess a GM will be hired to make those moves but doesn't sound like he will find anyone to take the job. Especially with his comments about paying one.
Saw this on twitter earlier, sort of ties in with what the CP poster is saying.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Peters is basically Gulutzan but with a slightly different (allegedly tougher) demeanor. It would solidify the notion that Treliving wants his team to play a certain way and will only acquire coaches that coach like that.

I'm still skeptical about all of this though. We'll see.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
From HFCanes
Forwards who can't score. Outshooting the opponent often and still finding a way to lose? Low probability shots from the perimeter? Awful powerplay? You sure Peters wasn't already coaching the Flames? These are basically the exact same complaints about our team.

The last thing we need is a lateral move

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I prefer Peters to GG personally but his lack of NHL success is concerning. On the other hand though its not like the Hurricanes are some great roster that keeps missing the playoffs. They have some decent young guys for sure but that's basically counteracted by their awful netminding and that they have a very low end top end.

Reactions: snipetype

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I prefer Peters to GG personally but his lack of NHL success is concerning. On the other hand though its not like the Hurricanes are some great roster that keeps missing the playoffs. They have some decent young guys for sure but that's basically counteracted by their awful netminding and that they have a very low end top end.

Sounds a lot like the Flames last year - you know, a team that made the playoffs. Peters is likely a step down, and at best a lateral move as others have mentioned. That means we get to go through the whole charade of playing like shit for the first 20 games of the year as the players learn a new system, barely scrape together a .500 stretch afterwards, and then are out of contention by the new year. Switching coaches to a coach that has the same flaws as your current coach is a dumb f***ing move.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Sounds a lot like the Flames last year - you know, a team that made the playoffs. Peters is likely a step down, and at best a lateral move as others have mentioned. That means we get to go through the whole charade of playing like **** for the first 20 games of the year as the players learn a new system, barely scrape together a .500 stretch afterwards, and then are out of contention by the new year. Switching coaches to a coach that has the same flaws as your current coach is a dumb ****ing move.
Our top end isn't that low end though and even though our goaltending was crappy last year it's not nearly as bad as Carolinas was this year.

Darling played ~40 games and had a 0.888 save percentage. Ward played the other 40 and had a 0.906 save percentage. That's Hartley 2015-2016 level bad. Maybe even worse.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Carolina is a bad team. We have a lot more talent than they do. Specifically up front. I would like the move.

Reactions: Dack

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Carolina is a bad team. We have a lot more talent than they do. Specifically up front. I would like the move.
I don't know if I would like it or not, but I agree that we certainly have a better team than them.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Wouldn't be surprised if we hired him, would be the most Flames thing ever. Oh a guy who has no proven track record of success and is possibly the lowest paid coach in the league (1.6M)? Hell yeah sign him up! He's also a good ol' Alberta boy, it's a perfect fit!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Iirc the gap between firing Hartley and hiring Gulutzan was quite long. Just because we've requested to interview him, doesn't mean he'll be the only candidate. I'm sure if the Jackets eliminate the Caps we'll interview Trotz.

Of course this means that Treliving has made his mind up about Gully, which none of us know yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad