Speculation: Will Glen Gulutzan be fired?

Will Glen Gulutzan be fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty simple yes or no.

My guess, unless some fantastic options become available in the offseason, would that they choose to keep him on and reevaluate by Christmas. The Flames have had 5 HCs since Darryl Sutter stepped aside at the end of 06. Eventually you want some kind of continuity at the position.

Gulutzan is not without his warts, he doesn't seem to be the best motivator and his system is certainly not without flaws. Needs to work on his in game management and his player usage drastically. Still there was quite a few things that went wrong this year out of his control, the injuries piled up near the end of the season and the goaltending was not good enough down the stretch. Jagr and Versteeg, two top 9 players that could of realistically put up 40-50pts barely played. The Flames underlying numbers were conducive to having success, even if the actual results were poor.

Putting all the blame on Gulutzan for this season is to me unfair. Then again I thought firing Hartley after a year the Flames had league worst goaltending was unfair as well. The home record and the PP cost them a ton of points throughout the season, and once there was no substantial pickups at the TDL the writing was on the wall for this team.

With the way the Flames finished the season I would understand if he were to be fired. At the end of the day results are all that matter and the result Glen got this year wasn't good enough. What I do not want to see is Gulutzan fired without any kind of plan in place, with another long interview process and the new staff rushing into an ill prepared training camp. For every Bruce Cassidy or Jon Cooper that come into the league there's a Dallas Eakins or Phil Housley too. How's Montreal doing since they fired their division leading coach for Julien? The Stars are going to miss the playoffs after hiring a veteran head coach.

Simple reminder that new does not always equal better.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
As bad as I would like him gone, I expect that he stays. If the rumours are true, Brad picked him over Boudreau, so he clearly thinks the guy has something else in the tank. I think if we miss again next year we might see both guys go.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
BT pretty much said Gully is safe for now. If he starts off slow next year all bets will be off.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would be ok with bringing in a marquee head coach that suited our players and Gully stepping down to be one of our assistant coaches. I think learning from a guy like Trotz would help Gully in the long-run. He seems to be knowledgeable about the game and a very personable guy, but he's too rigid and passive with his application of the system to the players.

I don't think it happens as there was too much that went wrong this season and even the last-you can't go missing until January and expect everything to work out. If there is anything that he deserves credit for, it's developing Monahan's two-way game and helping Tkachuk establish himself at the NHL level to become a budding star

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving's not going to throw someone under the bus even if he fully intended on firing them.

I say yes because it's a lot easier to fire one guy than trade 23 players. And the idea of bringing back a coach on a short leash is just not a good one. Pretty soon there'll be a ton of really good options available; come December, not so much.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just exorcise Dave Cameron into the sun while keeping Gulutzan around and throwing a lot money at a Kane or Neal or Perron.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Simple reminder that new does not always equal better.
I disagree.

giphy.gif

I think they'll evaluate over the next few weeks, and make a decision.

When it's announced (if there's a change, that is) they won't "steal the thunder" from the playoffs by making an announcement during a round (probably)

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
But I also wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just exorcise Dave Cameron into the sun while keeping Gulutzan around and throwing a lot money at a Kane or Neal or Perron.
This is actually what I expect. I bet we see another former head coach hired as an assistant to GG. I can PROMISE you that no matter what happens Cameron is gone.

Reactions: Dack

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I do not think he will but I do hope he will.

End of the day this team needs a solution to the struggles of TJ Brodie and Sam Bennett that will put them back on a dynasty path. Those two players hold the fate of this team's future in their hands alongside Gaudreau, Giordano, Tkachuk (and to a lesser extent Jankowski, Ferland, Backlund, Phillips, Monahan, Kylington, Parsons). I believe the removal of Glen Gulutzan is a necessary step because of how TJ Brodie and Sam Bennett have been grossly mishandled. I do not however believe the Flames Brass has the awareness to see it. They are after all the same group who waived Paul Byron, prematurely fired Bob Hartley, and signed essentially useless pieces like Bollig/Brouwer/Hathaway/Glass/Stone

Last edited:
Reactions: No Draft

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think so. I think management believes that the Flames were better than the results, opts for continuity rather than disruption, and lets Gulutzan start next year on a short leash.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT is just trying to save face since he is the guy that hired GG.

In reality, he is ready to fire his ass. After all, he is the one that believes this is a playoff team if not the Cup contending team by trading the unprotected 1st pick. It ends up being one of the worst Flames teams ever.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Think it's sadly 100% on who else is available.

But if I'm Treliving, and I sat down with GG at the end of last season, and he pointed out the need for better defensive depth and goaltending to take them to the next step, and then fix those problems for him and the team regresses, I'd be pretty pissed.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm a pretty big Treliving supporter, but if he chooses to keep Gulutzan and then we have another slow start next season, I'd say that he then needs to go unfortunately. Much as I think he has done a good job otherwise.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Keep Gully, Hire Hartley to replace Cameron or Jerrard.

I have no idea what I am talking about...

Reactions: InfinityIggy

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Gulutzan getting fired comes down to the system not being able to utilize the dmens skating/offence, And not being able to move the forwards around when they aren’t working.

Reactions: Mobiandi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->