Will Gary Bettman get booed at the draft in Minnesota?

BobbySmithFan

Jun 17, 2011
Hollywood North
When the North Stars (who I loved, being a Bobby Smith fan) moved to Minnesota, there were reports that Bettman sabotaged attempts to move the team. Publically, he sat back and said there was "nothing he could do." Which is strange when one looks at him bending over backwards to keep Phoenix, etc.

At the Hobey Baker presentation to Paul Kariya, he had to fight off these questions from reporters.

As soon as the move was announced however, he gleefully stated With the "North Stars moving from Minnesota to Dallas, and Los Angeles, San Jose and Tampa Bay it gives us six teams in the Sun Belt."

As well, when they were speculating leaving, Bettman warned Minnesota that they would never get a team again, and made one of the most assinine statements ever, showing he knew nothing about hockey: "In my experience, the successful franchises are the ones in cities that adore them, love them, worship them, support them. Norm Green says that there isn't enough of that in Minnesota. I don't mean to be critical, but that may be the problem."

Thus, Minnesota was without hockey, which is like not having an NFL team in Texas.

However, Bettman worked with Mayor Norm Coleman to bring the NHL back there 7 years later (and even made a $2,300 personal contribution to Coleman's Senate campaign in 2008). That gave us the Minnesota Wild (who I hate, being a Canucks fan).

So the question is, does Bettman get the treatment he got at the Stanley Cup Finals. Or does he get a polite clap?

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
He's booed everywhere. I eagerly await it

Plus you can bet a few Canadians will walk down to say hi at the draft.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Does switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
"The chance of me not getting booed is 0%."

gary-bettman-zero.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only place he wouldn't get boo'ed is Phoenix.

Eaglepride*

Phoenix and Pittsburgh are the only places where he wouldn't get it boo'ed and deservely so.

Boo the **** out of this moronic midget.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I don't know why everyone boos him, he seems to feed off of their hate, therefore making him more powerful than you can imagine.

My favorite moment from the Winnipeg NHL return press conference was when Bettman first began speaking and a smattering of applause broke out in the room. It clearly surprised him a bit. It occurs right at the start of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgHVRhGfWk

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad