Will Gary Bettman announce a Drop Dead Date which would go against his word

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
If Bettman does announce a drop dead date like is being reoported on sports talk shows today then shame on him for breaking his word. He gave his word that there would be no drop dead date. If he goes back on his word then there is no reason to believe he won't eventually cave on his cost certainty position as well and his case will be weakened. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
eye said:
If Bettman does announce a drop dead date like is being reoported on sports talk shows today then shame on him for breaking his word. He gave his word that there would be no drop dead date. If he goes back on his word then there is no reason to believe he won't eventually cave on his cost certainty position as well and his case will be weakened. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

I dont see the correlation... both parties have said things in the past and changed their "word"... this is a stretch to say he will cave... it could be strategy (see NBA last lockout)... it may be a good idea to call a board meeting though... ;)

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
He would be FAR better off announcing a drop dead date instead of just announcing the cancellation of the season.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Bettman in conference call right now as I type this with "eye", as "eye" is Bettman's right hand advisor. The season is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
eye said:

Are you trying to say Bettman and the owners maybe haven't quite been 100% honest in everything they say???

Good god man...get ahold of yourself! That's crazy talk! :lol

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Mighty Duck said:
Bettman in conference call right now as I type this with "eye", as "eye" is Bettman's right hand advisor. The season is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if that is the case (what ever you said) then Buttman and his Eight Man Salary Cap Band won't ever see a dime from me again.
Owners lost.

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
eye said:

There has to be a date at sometime. There is no way around it. There is only so much time left before hockey can't be played anyways.

Crazy Lunatic

Brewleaguer said:
Well if that is the case (what ever you said) then Buttman and his Eight Man Salary Cap Band won't ever see a dime from me again.
Owners lost.

I'm sure they will do just fine without your money.

Crazy Lunatic

justapantherfan said:
There has to be a date at sometime. There is no way around it. There is only so much time left before hockey can't be played anyways.

When did Bettman even say that he would never give a drop dead date?

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Bettman said wayyy back in the fall that he didn't want to put a drop dead date on the season, they were just gonna negotiate till they had a deal (hah) and then see if there was time left in the season to still play.

But then Daly said a week or so ago that there would be an announcement of cancellation, so maybe they'll announce a DDD too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
eye said:
Bettman gets a Million dollar bonus to get the Owners a HARD CAP .. Don't expect him to be giving in on that too quick ...

He he holds out and gets and impasse ruled and the NHL sets its own new rules with a Cap .. I can think of a million reasons why Bettman will not go back on his word ..

Remember ..He is also getting paid right now during a lockout .. So Hockey or no Hockey he isn't feeling any Financial pain ..

Crazy Lunatic

Injektilo said:
Bettman said wayyy back in the fall that he didn't want to put a drop dead date on the season, they were just gonna negotiate till they had a deal (hah) and then see if there was time left in the season to still play.

But then Daly said a week or so ago that there would be an announcement of cancellation, so maybe they'll announce a DDD too.

That sounds about right, but that isn't anyhere close to "going back on his word". Bettman saying that he didn't want to announce a drop dead date and him saying he "never ever will" are two completely different things.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Bettman gets a Million dollar bonus to get the Owners a HARD CAP .. Don't expect him to be giving in on that too quick ...

He he holds out and gets and impasse ruled and the NHL sets its own new rules with a Cap .. I can think of a million reasons why Bettman will not go back on his word ..

Remember ..He is also getting paid right now during a lockout .. So Hockey or no Hockey he isn't feeling any Financial pain ..

Didn't the Calgary's owner come out in the press and nip this in the bud stating that Bettman has no such agreement to receive a $1M paycheck for getting a hard cap for the owners?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Taranis_24 said:
Didn't the Calgary's owner come out in the press and nip this in the bud stating that Bettman has no such agreement to receive a $1M paycheck for getting a hard cap for the owners?
Not sure it was said and not sure we should believe it even if it was ..

My stance remains the same ...

You do realize that both Bettman and Goodenow the two main combatants in this dispute are getting paid during this whole mess and are not feeling the financial loss or strain as a result of the lockout like both sides they are fighting for are ..

In fact both sides are really paying both Leaders for times like this to go to battle and as such both side expects to get its money worth, and thus explains the weekly circus we are getting no less..

It has been reported that Bettman gets a 1 million dollar bonus if this CBA contains a Hard Cap .. Not sure if Goodenow gets rewarded for the opposite ..

but if we follow along this line of thinking then Bettman losing a season followed by a court battle and an Impasse ruled, followed by a new CBA draw up by the owners that will include a variable Hard Cap and linkage with replacement players actually gives Bettman 1 million reasons to not settle for anything else but what the NHL Owners is proposing right now ..

A settlement or cave in .. is ironically a conflict of interest to Bettman financially as a result .. So his whole motivation would be the opposite to what is best for the fans or players and the game in this situation ..

I wonder how hard Bettman would push for linkage if his NHL Salary was linked directly to a percentage(%) of league revenue in a world were those numbers are going to spiral down for years to come as a result of a lockout.. ??

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
The Messenger said:

You do realize that both Bettman and Goodenow the two main combatants in this dispute are getting paid during this whole mess and are not feeling the financial loss or strain as a result of the lockout like both sides they are fighting for are ..

In fact both sides are really paying both Leaders for times like this to go to battle and as such both side expects to get its money worth, and thus explains the weekly circus we are getting no less..

It has been reported that Bettman gets a 1 million dollar bonus if this CBA contains a Hard Cap .. Not sure if Goodenow gets rewarded for the opposite ..

but if we follow along this line of thinking then Bettman losing a season followed by a court battle and an Impasse ruled, followed by a new CBA draw up by the owners that will include a variable Hard Cap and linkage with replacement players actually gives Bettman 1 million reasons to not settle for anything else but what the NHL Owners is proposing right now ..

A settlement or cave in .. is ironically a conflict of interest to Bettman financially as a result .. So his whole motivation would be the opposite to what is best for the fans or players and the game in this situation ..

I wonder how hard Bettman would push for linkage if his NHL Salary was linked directly to a percentage(%) of league revenue in a world were those numbers are going to spiral down for years to come as a result of a lockout.. ??

1-Goodenow has apparently suspended his salary since the lockout and has mentionned it, and has been mentionned countless times.
2-Compared to his 3M$ salary he has been earning for several years I doubt Bettmans eyes would google for 1M$, nore Goodenow.

:shakehead

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
The Messenger said:

I don't believe Goodenow is getting paid during the lockout. Reported in the papers back in September as long as there was no CBA he would not receive his paycheck. Now is there a chance he would receive back pay if an agreement is reached, dont' know that one?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Taranis_24 said:
I don't believe Goodenow is getting paid during the lockout. Reported in the papers back in September as long as there was no CBA he would not receive his paycheck. Now is there a chance he would receive back pay if an agreement is reached, dont' know that one?
I was trying to be impartial in my post neither supporting nor taking a side. but the try and determine who has more to gain and lose by the current situation like a homicide detective would look for motive in solving a crime ..

Clealy Bettman is getting paid and will continue to get paid ..bonus aside and the fallout of the lockout will have no effect on his guaranteed NHL contract.. and if his side wins even more reason to expect a nice hefty extension for a job well done if the bottom line is more profit in the owners pockets ..

Why give a drop dead date if the motivation is to prolong and win and not compremise or collectively bargain as this process suggests ..

He can achieve his goal and that of the owners by fighting in court or fighting in the street like he is doing now through the media ...

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Messenger said:
Bettman gets a Million dollar bonus to get the Owners a HARD CAP ..

Please don't post lies by hack writers that were absolutely proven to be wrong. There is no bonus.

Taranis_24 said:
I don't believe Goodenow is getting paid during the lockout. Reported in the papers back in September as long as there was no CBA he would not receive his paycheck.

Which makes him more honourable than most players. As long as he doesn't get full back pay. It'll be interesting to see if this lasts through the end of the year. It's one thing to give up a few months pay, it's quite another to go a full year.

There will be no drop dead date, btw. It looks bad, creates artificial deadlines, reeks of bad faith bargaining, etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PecaFan said:
Which makes him more honourable than most players. As long as he doesn't get full back pay. It'll be interesting to see if this lasts through the end of the year. It's one thing to give up a few months pay, it's quite another to go a full year.

There will be no drop dead date, btw. It looks bad, creates artificial deadlines, reeks of bad faith bargaining, etc.
I agree on the date theory ..

Because its not his Pie that he is throwing away .. he in fact does not even get a piece of it .. and if you think of it as the pie will always be there in the future just be smaller as a result of this and as long as he gets his linkage of Revenue to player salaries its still a WIN WIN for the owners as the numbers just change but not profit, which remains and they have plenty of room, because Salaries in the old sytem consumed 75% of revenue and now he is offering only 55% in the current offer a 20% cushion or margin in the favour of the owners & combined with a 24% rollback which equals 500 million or 1/4 of the 2 billion dollar pie to start with. The owners have so much time and wiggle room that the Grand Canyon would fit in between the 2 sides presently..Which means that the NHL market could drop by nearly 50% from before to the time a new CBA is signed and the Owners with the 20% cushion + 24 % rollback would break even .. and then the final beauty of it all is the Linkage factor that will tie the players to the new revenue stream of 1 billion in the future until it recovers ..

Talk about a sweet position for the owners !!!!

and to further throw more fuel into my Theory ..

The fans at the beginning of the season have purchased Season Tickets,and luxury boxes and Suites in the NHL buildings .. The purpose of that is to watched their favourite Hockey players play the game the fans love to watch ...

Bettman is neither cancelling the season nor giving a drop date dead to the NHLPA because its not in the best interest of their side .. As games are being cancelled the owners are slowly and sporadically giving back this season ticket money to the fans, but keeping large portions and working with this money to starve out the players .. A cancellation would mean giving it all back now and a drop dead date promotes negotiation in a dispute that Bettman may want resolved in the courts with the outcome of an IMPASSE ruling ... In such an event the latest NHL proposal is the one that is implemented in a new CBA .. So that explains the 1 sided owner approach to the Proposal , really not even giving the players anything to vote or work with ..

Many owners are claiming it cost them less to not play then to pay the players their guaranteed contracts under the old CBA .. combined with the fact they are receiving funding from the NHL WAR CHEST as owners ..why is there any need for a settlement in the near future when dragging it out serves a great financial gain for some owners and a better CBA long-term..

If you think of a end result being a court battle and IMPASSE ruled then its 50 / 50 chance that Bettman wins in court .. and all this dog and pony show is just a part of the process to eventually get to the ending the owners want ..

Sure Bettman will go done in history as the only leader of a major sport that lost an entire season .. but firstly he will continue to put the blame on the greedy players and then once he wins in court he will go on to say I did it for the good of the game and the end justifies the means as we WON .. in the end .. and the league is healthier as a result

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->