Injury Report: Will Gaborik retire if he gets bad news in L.A.?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Gaborik ends up LTIRetired, and we only have to pay 20 percent of his salary, the end result is that the Senators save an average of 3.25M for the next three seasons compared to what they would have spent had they kept Phaneuf. So it comes down to, would you rather the Sens have spent an avg of 6.16 per season on Phaneuf, or an average of 2.91M to not have Phaneuf.

Did you use Gaborik salary to do math? Because I just did and I came up with $2 471 666,667 per year

Anyway, roughly Sens ~3.7 per season MINUS the player replacing him

The way I see it, on RD it’s Karlsson, Ceci, Wideman (?), Jaros, Pokka and on LD it’s Chabot, Harpur, Borowiecki, Claesson

Phaneuf at this stage can’t be expected to be your 1st LD and Chabot should not but the ability is there

You also have Wolanin who is already 23 y/o and looks quite ready for the NHL so far.

Finally, you have the possibility that the Sens draft Dahlin or another D-man

I think they saw Chabot at the minimum replacing Phaneuf as the #2 LD.

Problem is still having no real #1 LD but that could solved by winning the lottery, we’ll have to wait and see about all this but to summarize, I think the Sens are replacing Phaneuf internally and saving close to 3 M$ per year IF Gaborik goes to LTIR.

I mean, the Phaneuf for Gaborik really wasn’t great so Dorion must have had some infos for it to make more sense. At least I am hoping

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If its just one guy, why would he want a house for three months or whatever when he doesnt know whats going on come the end of the season?

Its a lot of effort to bring forth a lot more effort. When instead he can just live in a nice hotel room, not have to worry about cleaning or cooking or anything, then figure **** out in the offseason with his family?

That's exactly my point. Thank you for making it for me. Why would he buy a house if he wasn't planning on playing out his contract here.

The fact that there's a lot of doubt where he ends up is the exact point being made as to why he hasn't bought a house yet.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Did you use Gaborik salary to do math? Because I just did and I came up with $2 471 666,667 per year

Anyway, roughly Sens ~3.7 per season MINUS the player replacing him

The way I see it, on RD it’s Karlsson, Ceci, Wideman (?), Jaros, Pokka and on LD it’s Chabot, Harpur, Borowiecki, Claesson

Phaneuf at this stage can’t be expected to be your 1st LD and Chabot should not but the ability is there

You also have Wolanin who is already 23 y/o and looks quite ready for the NHL so far.

Finally, you have the possibility that the Sens draft Dahlin or another D-man

I think they saw Chabot at the minimum replacing Phaneuf as the #2 LD.

Problem is still having no real #1 LD but that could solved by winning the lottery, we’ll have to wait and see about all this but to summarize, I think the Sens are replacing Phaneuf internally and saving close to 3 M$ per year IF Gaborik goes to LTIR.

I mean, the Phaneuf for Gaborik really wasn’t great so Dorion must have had some infos for it to make more sense. At least I am hoping

The issue with our numbers differing might be that I am taking into account that Phaneuf eats up a roster spot which would otherwise cost us 650k minimum to fill. So that extra 650k we need to spend to fill one of our 23 man roster spots is being accounted for in the cost of insured Gaborik vs the cost of Phaneuf as a roster player.

In the scenario of a career ending injury with Gaborik insured....

650k+20 percent of Gaborik's Salary+Retained Salary On Phaneuf=My cost

vs

Phaneuf's salary if we kept him instead of making the trade

Reactions: Xspyrit

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At Gaborik's age they probably just shut him down for the yr & sent him home. Quite the coincidence that the doctor he is seeing is also in the city where he was living during his time with LA. I'm quite sure there will be lots of discussions as to what they will do with him moving forward & whether he is a candidate for a buyout. His contract is pretty much impossible to deal & it's either he returns & plays next season in Ottawa or they buy him out. I doubt he could play a full season anyway & like Ryan he may miss half the yr.

When is Seattle suppose to join the league & will that affect what Ottawa does with some contracts & what they do with some prospects in the next yr or two?

It's likely a doctor he has been going to for a few years, and kows his history better than a new doctor reading his patient file.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Back surgery, 8 weeks recovery time. Looks like he’ll be back next season.
Perhaps the doctors will tell him to hang it up after the surgery, something similar to the surgery Chris Phillips never fully recovered from... These things aren't slamdunks.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Gaborik's habit of getting an injury that conveniently runs through the NHL buyout period is the hockey equivalent to the guy who always has to go to the bathroom right before the cheque arrives.

Do we have anyone likely to head to arbitration this summer? If so, there's always that 2nd round of buyouts allowed under the CBA that takes place later in the summer available for teams who had guys go to arbitration.

I'm not suggesting we buy out Gaborik or not, merely suggesting that there might be a 2nd window to do so.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think he goes on LTIR. Say all you will, it was good to have him with the team- albeit briefly. He did good with us while here.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Do we have anyone likely to head to arbitration this summer? If so, there's always that 2nd round of buyouts allowed under the CBA that takes place later in the summer available for teams who had guys go to arbitration.

I'm not suggesting we buy out Gaborik or not, merely suggesting that there might be a 2nd window to do so.

Ceci+Claesson will both almost certainly elect for arbitration as a formality if a deal isn't consummated prior to the window opening.

Stone could also end up electing for arbitration, but it would not surprise me to see us elect to take him to club elected arbitration when the window opens up in June in order to prevent any teams from being able to talk to him and possibly tender an offer sheet to him as a (restricted) free agent.

So the short answer is, yeah we probably end up getting the second window made available to us. So maybe a buyout ends up being a possibility.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
it makes so much more sense to buy Gaborik out next offseason, he will be on the books less longer, lower buyout caphit on the books, and doesn't interfere with Duchene, and Karlsson extensions. and he should still be good to give you 15-20 goals next season.

He may even choose to just retire after next offseason since the remaing two years 3M per.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
possibly couldn’t get insurance for Gaborik as he has a history of injuries

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
possibly couldn’t get insurance for Gaborik as he has a history of injuries

The NHL insurance plan doesn't stop you from insurance any player, however pre-existing issues aren't covered (presumably pre-existing to when the contract was signed). In Gaborik's case, we may not have allocated any of our coverage to his contract, you pay premiums based on your 5 highest paid players, and can allocate 80% coverage across 5 or more players (if you choose to split it across more players, the amount covered would reduce). I'm not sure how it works with traded players though... perhaps it's based on whether or not LA decided to cover him at the start of the year.

Having said all that, Gaborik doesn't have any back issues that I'm aware off, so this one would likely be covered if it lasted 30 games. I imagine the pre-existing condition clause is harder to enact than just he's had that injury before, so it's no longer covered though. Bobby Ryan's hands might be enough to have the insurer want it vetoed, same with MacArthur's concussions, but I don't think anything of Gaborik's would hit the threshold. Remember, he has to miss 30 games; the insurance is really only for catastrophic injuries, or career enders.

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
it makes so much more sense to buy Gaborik out next offseason, he will be on the books less longer, lower buyout caphit on the books, and doesn't interfere with Duchene, and Karlsson extensions. and he should still be good to give you 15-20 goals next season.

He may even choose to just retire after next offseason since the remaing two years 3M per.
That makes sense except for the EK extension which is not happening.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Hopefully the surgery went well for him, in respect to living a normal life for his family and children....lets hope that is the extent of it and the surgeons tell him as far as hockey career, he should hang them up.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I'd bet that both Burrows and Gaborik are on their way out, and that the only bad contract we keep is Ryan (for another season or until the deadline).

We'll see what happens though.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I really don't believe Gaborik is going to be bought out. If he is not in a sens jersey next year I will be surprised. He still has some left in the tank. This surgery probably helps his long term as opposed to the opposite. Personally thought he looked decent in his limited games with us. With the amount of young guys we have upcoming I actually think he is good to have around least one more year. But hey what do I know?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I really don't believe Gaborik is going to be bought out. If he is not in a sens jersey next year I will be surprised. He still has some left in the tank. This surgery probably helps his long term as opposed to the opposite. Personally thought he looked decent in his limited games with us. With the amount of young guys we have upcoming I actually think he is good to have around least one more year. But hey what do I know?

If we can get rid of Ryan, Smith and Burrows I’m ok with keeping Gaborik for next year.

Play him on the third line I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad