Injury Report: Will Gaborik retire if he gets bad news in L.A.?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not retire, long term injury list

Yeah, this is how they do it in 2018.

Even a guy like Marc Savard hung on to collect the money due on his contract, and there was a 0% chance he'd ever sniff an NHL game again for years. Pronger too... heck, he was collecting a league salary as an NHL employee at the same time he was collecting his last year of salary as a player on LTIR.

Nobody retires due to injury with money left on their contract.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This development would help the Sens financial picture going forward.

Yet another reason to not make panic moves.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don't wish anything bad for Gaborik but if it's one of those high risk situations if he plays then the best case scenario for both him and the team is that he goes on LTIR and it's mostly covered by insurance.

If he's cleared by the doctors he could just wait out the team and hope for a buyout. If they don't buy him out I would be surprised if he retires this year and leaves almost $11M on the table especially since a big chunk of it some $4.5M is next season. He always seems to have some nagging injury and would probably play very few games so all he has to do is show up at camp and collect his paycheck.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines happened. He's signed through to 2021 and has been living in the Brookstreet since the trade. Wouldn't he have bought/rented a house by now if he anticipated playing through the contract?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines happened. He's signed through to 2021 and has been living in the Brookstreet since the trade. Wouldn't he have bought/rented a house by now if he anticipated playing through the contract?
Not sure what his wife does for a living, some sort of professional dancer apparently, could be that she can't move atm.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Definitely not wishing for bad news I love gaborik as a player. Still want him to play next season then retire

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not sure what his wife does for a living, some sort of professional dancer apparently, could be that she can't move atm.

I don't think that's the issue/point he was making.

He's saying if he planned on playing here for a few years he wouldn't still be living out of a hotel regardless of what his wife is doing. He has the money to buy or rent a home so he could be comfortable for the next few years. It only makes sense to stay in a hotel if this was the only season he expected to play in Ottawa.

Reactions: branch

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why would he retire and throw away 15 Million?
If it's "bad" news he would just go on LTIR, and move back to his house and family in LA while getting paid $4,875,000 per year for the next 3 seasons. Sucks to be him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think that's the issue/point he was making.

He's saying if he planned on playing here for a few years he wouldn't still be living out of a hotel regardless of what his wife is doing. He has the money to buy or rent a home so he could be comfortable for the next few years. It only makes sense to stay in a hotel if this was the only season he expected to play in Ottawa.

If I planned on moving to Ottawa with my wife, say this summer, but she had commitments that didn't allow her to shop houses until then, why would I buy or rent a house now? Moving sucks no matter how well off you are, do it once unless you absolutely have to do it more times.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why would he retire and throw away 15 Million?
If it's "bad" news he would just go on LTIR, and move back to his house and family in LA while getting paid $4,875,000 per year for the next 3 seasons. Sucks to be him.
Well if he's medically cleared to play he can't just sit around and collect a pay cheque. He's not due 15M, it's under 11M. The NHL is a brutal league.

This totally depends on what the issue is. If its knee or concussion related, is it really worth the pay day when he has nearly 70M in earnings to his name? Wouldn't you rather be able to walk and talk properly with 70M in hand than not be able to do one or two of those things with 80M in hand? Dude is in his 30s. So much life left.

Reactions: StoneHoffs129

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If I planned on moving to Ottawa with my wife, say this summer, but she had commitments that didn't allow her to shop houses until then, why would I buy or rent a house now? Moving sucks no matter how well off you are, do it once unless you absolutely have to do it more times.

I follow them both on Instagram. Lets just say she doesn't do much. They have been schmoosing around the grounds of the Brookstreet. That's it.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Why would his wife not trust his judgement to buy or rent a house that they'll only be using for a couple years and make him live out of a hotel when it's all his earned money. They can keep their LA home. It would really just be a temporary 3rd or 4th home for him. It's not like they'd need to spend a year shopping like us regular folk.

If I was worth 30 million or something, I wouldn't live out of a hotel for half the year when I could easily swap 500k houses like it's nothing every year.

You have to remember that you're comparing yourself to a multi millionaire who can own several homes.

If he buys a house in Ottawa it doesn't mean he has to sell his current LA home and move everything he owns here. It's not as dramatic as us moving. It's not a giant life move.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Might be another player who disappear on LTIR for a few years. If it is, very good news for the Sens salary expenditure going forward

That would mean that trade was : dumping Phaneuf for a 7th while retaining 25% of his salary ($1,750,000 x 3 years)

Still not a good trade. I mean, Phaneuf at 5.25 x 3 years is not that bad of a contract as he can still contribute (seems to be doing fine in LA). Should have gotten more than a 7th, or trade Shore for more than a 7th

That would mean for ~52 M$ :

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Pageau-Stone
Chlapik-Smith-White
Burrows-Paul-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

With only Stone,, Paul and Ceci to sign, that roster would cost roughly ~64 M$

Trade Smith and Condon, get rid of Burrows and you save even more. Then you sign Wideman, the best goalie possible and get a LD that can play with Karlsson or Ceci (that leaves Wolanin have a developmental year in Belleville). Other improvements come from the top-5 pick and other prospects making it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Might be another player who disappear on LTIR for a few years. If it is, very good news for the Sens salary expenditure going forward

That would mean that trade was : dumping Phaneuf for a 7th while retaining 25% of his salary ($1,750,000 x 3 years)

Still not a good trade. I mean, Phaneuf at 5.25 x 3 years is not that bad of a contract as he can still contribute (seems to be doing fine in LA). Should have gotten more than a 7th, or trade Shore for more than a 7th

That would mean for ~52 M$ :

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Pageau-Stone
Chlapik-Smith-White
Burrows-Paul-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

With only Stone,, Paul and Ceci to sign, that roster would cost roughly ~64 M$

Trade Smith and Condon, get rid of Burrows and you save even more. Then you sign Wideman, the best goalie possible and get a LD. Other improvements come from the top-5 pick and other prospects making it.
What are you thinking Stone is signing for? Because it seems like you've really underestimated his worth.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What are you thinking Stone is signing for? Because it seems like you've really underestimated his worth.

I had him at 7.5 per

I mean, how much more than that could it be?

Gaudreau 6 years x $6,750,000
O'Reilly 7 years x $7,500,000
Tarasenko 8 years x $7,500,000
Kuznetsov 8 years x $7,800,000
Johansen 8 years x $8,000,000
Stamkos 8 years x $8,500,000
Scheifele 8 years x $6,125,000
Monahan 7 years x $6,375,000
etc

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would his wife not trust his judgement to buy or rent a house that they'll only be using for a couple years and make him live out of a hotel when it's all his earned money. They can keep their LA home. It would really just be a temporary 3rd or 4th home for him. It's not like they'd need to spend a year shopping like us regular folk.

If I was worth 30 million or something, I wouldn't live out of a hotel for half the year when I could easily swap 500k houses like it's nothing every year.

Is it really a big deal to live in a hotel to finish out the season and then go back to house shop on your own time as opposed to rushing into it? Honestly, what's the rush? Once the summer starts, he can take his time and not worry about practice or games (not that he has too now that he's injured).

I really think him not having bought or rented a place yet is a non-issue. If he had been traded in the offseason and made it this far in a hotel, or heck, even into the reg season, that's a bit different, but I don't see why a deadline acquisition would necessarily rush out and buy or rent a house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad